Author Topic: Did the EU ban quartz metal halide lamps with E27 and E40 bases?  (Read 1824 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Did the EU ban quartz metal halide lamps with E27 and E40 bases? « on: November 05, 2020, 07:08:47 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
When I was looking for QMH lamps on European websites, I seem to have a hard time finding QMH lamps that have E27 and E40 bases. Were those lamps banned by the EU?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Did the EU ban quartz metal halide lamps with E27 and E40 bases? « Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 08:36:18 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
When I was looking for QMH lamps on European websites, I seem to have a hard time finding QMH lamps that have E27 and E40 bases. Were those lamps banned by the EU?
Strange, within seconds I found over 2,000 results. :wndr:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Did the EU ban quartz metal halide lamps with E27 and E40 bases? « Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 10:14:23 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Don’t get the Philips, Hungry ones, they have gone absolute garbage!, I fitted 13 of them in our paint shop last April, and six of them are now dead!
Every one is going ceramic now with halide!

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Re: Did the EU ban quartz metal halide lamps with E27 and E40 bases? « Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 02:01:07 PM » Author: lights*plus
HPS bulbs are banned yet M-H and CMH are not.. Something's a'foot!
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Did the EU ban quartz metal halide lamps with E27 and E40 bases? « Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 02:20:12 AM » Author: Medved

TheEcodesign rules are applied separately for individual categories. And the trend is to allow only the more efficient or lass environment damaging/stressing products.
The MH are then different category (white, high CRI) than HPS (low CRI). In the "low CRI" are all HPS, but there are many differences among different types, even when all look like golden/orange glowing PCA tube. They differ in efficacy, life, mercury content, radioactive elements use, toxicity of the auxiliary materials (getters, seal assemblies,...), all that has its weight. So yes, many types are falling below the minimum threshold and so become banned. Plus this category is getting aggresively "attacked" by LEDs (the bluish-greenish high efficacy low CRI types, featuring just tye green phosphor, going well above 150lm/W).
From the MH (high CRI) category many types are banned as well, but tye high CRI types do not have much competition yet (tye peaking monochromatic blue is hurting the LEDs on either CRI or efficacy)...

No more selfballasted c***

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Did the EU ban quartz metal halide lamps with E27 and E40 bases? « Reply #5 on: November 06, 2020, 07:11:27 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

From my experience, I only know that “standard” HPS lamps are banned in the EU, but there are so-called “high-output” HPS lamps that are meant to replace them.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Re: Did the EU ban quartz metal halide lamps with E27 and E40 bases? « Reply #6 on: November 06, 2020, 07:35:38 PM » Author: lights*plus
There's a lot of industry myth behind the CRI and it's actual function in seeing better. Making environmental decisions, even if partly based on CRI, in my opinion are absurd..and personally I see it as a "smoke & mirrors" campaign (i.e., a diversion based on the profit motive).
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Did the EU ban quartz metal halide lamps with E27 and E40 bases? « Reply #7 on: November 06, 2020, 11:31:27 PM » Author: Medved
There's a lot of industry myth behind the CRI and it's actual function in seeing better. Making environmental decisions, even if partly based on CRI, in my opinion are absurd..and personally I see it as a "smoke & mirrors" campaign (i.e., a diversion based on the profit motive).

Its not about seeing better, but about comfort or a luxury. If you spend millions for something to look nice, you dont want to ruin it by using just yellow or green light, even when it would mean higher efficacy.
On the other hand on places where you just want to see obstacles, yellow or green light is of no problem.

James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Did the EU ban quartz metal halide lamps with E27 and E40 bases? « Reply #8 on: November 08, 2020, 04:22:05 PM » Author: James
In certain types they have been banned, yes.  The Ecodesign requirements set minimum performance requirements for most classes of lamps, both in terms of initial efficay and lumen maintenance during life.  The target for 250W and 400W E40 capped metal halides with neutral white colour was set just above the level that could be achieved by the majority of quartz arc tube lamps, with the result that those types are effectively phased out and replaced by longer-life and more efficient ceramic alternatives.  This is not always obvious when you search online, for instance on Signify global website you can see the whole range of HPI-T quartz arc tube lamps - but if you select your region to one of the EU countries, then the 250W and 400W ratings disappear since they cannot legally be sold any more.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Did the EU ban quartz metal halide lamps with E27 and E40 bases? « Reply #9 on: November 08, 2020, 04:31:09 PM » Author: Rommie
More than anything else, I have always believed in freedom of choice. Anyone anywhere in any country should be able to use whatever form of lighting they like, from candles to yes, if you really want them, LED (although I will always dislike their use for street lighting).

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Did the EU ban quartz metal halide lamps with E27 and E40 bases? « Reply #10 on: November 08, 2020, 04:54:43 PM » Author: Medved
The kind of restrictions called "ecodesign" now are nothing new, they are in force in Europe at least since the 70's energy crisis (and maybe longer).
Minimum efficiency limits imposed onto fluorescent ballasts, effectively banning fixtures like NeataLine (using resistors, could not handle the weight of a core and coil). In late 80's the limits were tightened further...
Fluorescent ballasts not feeding the lamps so they reach rated brightness - banned since 80's (at least; dimmable ballasts are rated at their full setting)

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Did the EU ban quartz metal halide lamps with E27 and E40 bases? « Reply #11 on: November 08, 2020, 04:58:39 PM » Author: Ash
The limits for the ecodesign standards in lighting are crafted so accurately to match specific "wanted" and "unwanted" lamps, that makes it obvious that the intention is not on environmental reasons but just market shaping to suit corporate and "green" lobbying wishes
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Did the EU ban quartz metal halide lamps with E27 and E40 bases? « Reply #12 on: November 09, 2020, 01:37:08 AM » Author: Medved
They are shaped by the lighting makers attempting to reduce the portfolio they have to carry and mainly phase out the less profitable products they are otherwise forced to support by not be the one that "does not carry all" and force customers to buy the more profitable products instead.

The "eco" thing is just a prop to pass it through politicians...

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Did the EU ban quartz metal halide lamps with E27 and E40 bases? « Reply #13 on: November 14, 2020, 04:57:19 PM » Author: Silverliner
That is stupid. European MH lamps are way better than USA MH lamps except the GE I-Line lamps which use the European MH chemistry.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies