Author Topic: Sylvania Clearbanders in colors other than /DX ?  (Read 4071 times)
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Sylvania Clearbanders in colors other than /DX ? « on: July 11, 2019, 07:27:36 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Does anybody know if Sylvania made the Clearbanders in colors such as /C or /N ? All I've ever seen is /DX .
 Also, I know some members here also have them in HPS, but were they also made in metal halide ?

Any thoughts ????

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: Sylvania Clearbanders in colors other than /DX ? « Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 12:27:24 AM » Author: icefoglights
I don't think they ever made them in /C or /W.  The clearband and fully coated technique was mostly applied to "new technology" coatings, like /DX and /N.  The outgoing /C and /W lamps stuck with cleartops until the end.

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Sylvania Clearbanders in colors other than /DX ? « Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 02:20:00 PM » Author: BT25
Does anybody know if Sylvania made the Clearbanders in colors such as /C or /N ? All I've ever seen is /DX .
 Also, I know some members here also have them in HPS, but were they also made in metal halide ?

Any thoughts ????

Where's the love Tim? ;D HPS clearbanders are cool.

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account/CC statement shows unnecessary spending? ::)

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Sylvania Clearbanders in colors other than /DX ? « Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 09:24:01 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Where's the love Tim? ;D HPS clearbanders are cool.

ALL clearbanders are cool ! I'm just curious if they were made other flavors than "just" /DX MV and /D HPS info on these lamps seems to be few and far between.

@ icefoglights : Thanks for the info, every little bit helps !

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Sylvania Clearbanders in colors other than /DX ? « Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 01:43:05 PM » Author: joseph_125
Interestingly, I think Sylvania Canada never switched to making clearbander MV lamps. The 175w /DX and 400w /DX I have that were made in early 80s and well into the clearbander era were still cleartop lamps.
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Sylvania Clearbanders in colors other than /DX ? « Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 11:33:27 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
I've seen several photos of Canadian Sylvanias here on LG and now that you mention it I think they ARE all cleartoppers

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Sylvania Clearbanders in colors other than /DX ? « Reply #6 on: July 29, 2019, 06:04:02 PM » Author: Silverliner
Nope. Only DX mercs and coated HPS lamps were clearbanded. C and W and coated MH lamps were cleartopped until the early 1980s or so. The N was fully coated in the late 1970s.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Sylvania Clearbanders in colors other than /DX ? « Reply #7 on: July 30, 2019, 12:02:49 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Thanks for the info everyone ! I now know what to look for, now to find them !!!

CASE CLOSED !

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Sylvania Clearbanders in colors other than /DX ? « Reply #8 on: March 01, 2024, 05:41:53 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 UPDATE:  A Sylvania clearbander Metal Halide DOES INDEED EXIST ! : https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=5215&pos=2&pid=235799
« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 07:02:15 PM by wide-lite 1000 » Logged

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Sylvania Clearbanders in colors other than /DX ? « Reply #9 on: May 12, 2024, 07:09:57 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Nope. Only DX mercs and coated HPS lamps were clearbanded. C and W and coated MH lamps were cleartopped until the early 1980s or so. The N was fully coated in the late 1970s.

I also have a Sylvania MS400/C/HOR probe start metal halide lamp that is definitely a cleartopper in my collection.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Sylvania Clearbanders in colors other than /DX ? « Reply #10 on: May 16, 2024, 01:48:49 AM » Author: James
According to the records I can find, the clear band design was introduced towards the end of 1976 for all powder-coated BT lamps irrespective of whatever the coating material was. This was an emergency quality project and by start of 1977 it should have been applied to all types.  Even though it was strictly only needed for certain quartz lamps it was applied to all, because it was the same coating machines that produced all lamp types.

In 1979 the phosphor adhesion problems were solved and full coating was resumed.  Since that was not an emergency project it seems to have taken longer to introduce, and it was not until 1980 that all types had been converted.  The BT56 line seems to have been the last to revert to full coating.  If anyone has the time, it could be interesting to make a study of all the Sylvania coated HID lamps on this site from the period eg 1975-1985 to identify which coating design was in use!
BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Sylvania Clearbanders in colors other than /DX ? « Reply #11 on: May 16, 2024, 09:34:28 AM » Author: BT25
James, I have a Sylvania H39KC-175/W from 1978 that's still a clear-top...
Interesting info, BTW...

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account/CC statement shows unnecessary spending? ::)

James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Sylvania Clearbanders in colors other than /DX ? « Reply #12 on: Today at 01:40:15 AM » Author: James
Eric, even more interesting when such anomalies as yours begin to turn up!  Its seems there are no hard rules when it comes to documenting lamp designs over time.  Engineers are always playing with ideas for improvements (which sometimes accidentally turn out to be a backward step during the later phases of lifetest, like when they prematurely introduced full-coated bulbs).  So it is not unexpected that they may have made some runs according to the earlier fully clear-dome design to check whether that made any real improvement, and we end up with lamps like yours whose date seems not correct at first sight.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies