Author Topic: Why do Fluorescent Light Fixtures have to be (Properly) Grounded?  (Read 1225 times)
F96T12 DD VHO

View Posts
View Gallery

Just chilling I guess

https://www.facebook.com/ Unreleasedwav UC2Uv7t9KgigOoT6blff2t3w i.d._official
Why do Fluorescent Light Fixtures have to be (Properly) Grounded? « on: July 06, 2018, 10:30:12 AM » Author: F96T12 DD VHO
Before I went to Florida, I had wired a 8' fixture and the ground what touching the fixture itself but not the ballast, the ballast is magnetic. I tried to turn the fixture on and all I got was a partial discharge. When I conneted the ground to both the fixture and the ballast. The result was perfect and the lamp started up.

But why does it have to be properly grounded in order for the fixture to work? I know this isn't the case with some fixtures but some do need to be properly grounded.

Music Producer/Light Enthusiast

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Why do Fluorescent Light Fixtures have to be (Properly) Grounded? « Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 01:07:00 PM » Author: dor123
In rapid-start installation, the reflector of the fixture or the fixture body itself, is used as a starting aid antenna when grounded, since the OCV of rapid-start ballasts is very low (200V). This isn't needed for preheat, instant start and other ballast configurations, where the grounding there is only for safety.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies