Author Topic: Ballasting mercury lamps with incandescent / halogen lamps  (Read 561 times)
HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex - a fan of Jefferson Electric ballasts

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
Ballasting mercury lamps with incandescent / halogen lamps « on: July 02, 2022, 06:30:33 AM » Author: HIDLad001
I want to build an area light that uses a 175W mercury vapor and a 300-500W halogen tube for ballasting. I have seen it done before, and self-ballasted lamps operate similar to this. But is there any way I can do it on 120V? Will I need a transformer to step it up?

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it
HID Fixtures should stay HID, but I think LED is fine too.
Any new photos are taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35!
Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.
-Using Lighting-Gallery since 2022-

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Ballasting mercury lamps with incandescent / halogen lamps « Reply #1 on: July 02, 2022, 07:56:18 AM » Author: sol
I believe this is only possible on mains above 220V. You could consider self-ballasted mercury vapour, which has both in one envelope but it is less fun than building your own. The arc tube in those is not standard as it has to strike on 120V mains.

Regarding a step up transformer, I suppose it could work but it would likely require 220-240V incandescent lamps.
HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Ballasting mercury lamps with incandescent / halogen lamps « Reply #2 on: July 02, 2022, 11:26:21 AM » Author: HIDLad001
For the transformer, I would need to know how much my setup draws, and then calculate the amperage using Ohm's law. Luckily, I have a 240V socket in the workshop, so its shouldn't be hard to find out that information.

Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Ballasting mercury lamps with incandescent / halogen lamps « Reply #3 on: July 02, 2022, 11:36:13 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
However, you will need an even higher mains voltage like at least 380v if you want to resistively ballast North American 1000w H36 mercury vapor lamps and 700w H35 mercury vapor lamps using incandescent lamps as the ballast.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Ballasting mercury lamps with incandescent / halogen lamps « Reply #4 on: July 02, 2022, 11:48:56 AM » Author: HIDLad001
However, you will need an even higher mains voltage like at least 380v if you want to resistively ballast North American 1000w H36 mercury vapor lamps and 700w H35 mercury vapor lamps using incandescent lamps as the ballast.

I have no plan in using those wattages. I will only be using low wattages, like 175W.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Ballasting mercury lamps with incandescent / halogen lamps « Reply #5 on: July 02, 2022, 11:51:50 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
It is a true fact that most HID ballasts in North America actually do contain transformers in them because most HID lamps cannot reliably run on plain 120v mains using a simple choke ballast alone except for North American low wattage high pressure sodium lamps.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies