Author Topic: Who made the first LED streetlight?  (Read 2250 times)
HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
Who made the first LED streetlight? « on: September 20, 2023, 07:01:56 AM » Author: HIDLad001
I have looked online, but I can't find any clear answer. I am gonna guess RUUD Lighting or Leotek.

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it
HID Fixtures should stay HID, but I think LED is fine too.
Any new photos are taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35!
Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.
-Using Lighting-Gallery since 2022-

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Who made the first LED streetlight? « Reply #1 on: September 20, 2023, 11:51:09 AM » Author: Rommie
Don't care, just wish they hadn't  :'(

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex

Re: Who made the first LED streetlight? « Reply #2 on: September 20, 2023, 01:27:21 PM » Author: HIDLad001
I like to learn about all lighting technologies, LED included.

Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Who made the first LED streetlight? « Reply #3 on: September 20, 2023, 03:48:30 PM » Author: Rommie
That's as maybe, but what I hate is LED being forced on us. Not once have I ever been asked do I want LED streetlights, they just come along and replace perfectly good HID lamps by the street-full when there's nothing wrong with any of them.

If you want to learn how they work, that's fine, buy some and use them at home; you don't need to replace perfectly good street lights to do that. I've never said people shouldn't be able to use LEDs at home if they want to, I just hate them being forced on me in the street.

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex

Re: Who made the first LED streetlight? « Reply #4 on: September 21, 2023, 10:58:09 AM » Author: HIDLad001
Here we go again...
The same thing could be said about high and low pressure sodium. There was a time (albeit way before I was born) when all of the mercury streetlights were getting ripped out and replaced with high and low pressure sodium streetlights. People hated this new lighting technology and how it was this "harsh yellow light" and how it was "wiping out mercury vapor" and "was being forced upon us".
Then decades later when everything is being replaced with LED, people are saying the same thing about how LED is so terrible.

Someday a new light source is going to be invented, and people will be feeling the same way about a new light source replacing LED.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 11:01:03 AM by HIDLad001 » Logged

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Who made the first LED streetlight? « Reply #5 on: September 21, 2023, 11:12:25 AM » Author: Rommie
At least sodium (low or high pressure) lamps are discharge lamps. Anyway, I'm not going to argue with you, you like them, I don't. Let's leave it there, shall we..?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 11:14:39 AM by Rommie » Logged

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex

Re: Who made the first LED streetlight? « Reply #6 on: September 21, 2023, 03:27:24 PM » Author: HIDLad001
The point is if any light source is replacing another light source, there will be bound to be people that hate the new light source.

Now back to the original topic and does anyone have any guesses as to who made the first LED street light?

Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Stop replacing fixtures that can be retrofitted.

Re: Who made the first LED streetlight? « Reply #7 on: September 21, 2023, 09:25:23 PM » Author: Maxim
I would guess RUUD/BetaLED also.

My local swim club has fixtures circa 2012-2013 that are going strong to this very day!

See here.

Collector of all kinds of lamps, gear, and fixtures.
My favorite lighting technologies at the moment are incandescent and mercury vapor, and my favorite Big 3 lighting brand of the late 20th century is GTE Sylvania.

About that Westinghouse Lifeguard disease, I think I've caught it. Thanks Eric! 8)

LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: Who made the first LED streetlight? « Reply #8 on: September 21, 2023, 09:26:31 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
My guess is Leotek. They've been making LED street lights since the mid 2000's.

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex

Re: Who made the first LED streetlight? « Reply #9 on: September 21, 2023, 09:33:56 PM » Author: HIDLad001
Leotek's first streetlight was released in 2004, and was based off of a standard small-size cobrahead and has an LED array in place of the optical assembly (the one on the bottom left).

Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: Who made the first LED streetlight? « Reply #10 on: September 21, 2023, 10:17:06 PM » Author: Patrick
Beta LED lights such as this one appeared early in the gallery.  The Ann Arbor globes are one of the first post-top LED installations I remember.

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex

Re: Who made the first LED streetlight? « Reply #11 on: September 22, 2023, 08:29:15 AM » Author: HIDLad001
So as far as I have seen, RUUD Lighting or BetaLED didn't invent the LED streetlight, but they created the first popular and economical LED streetlight that saw widespread use in the US and other countries like the UK and Australia. Does anybody have a release date?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2023, 08:42:24 AM by HIDLad001 » Logged

LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: Who made the first LED streetlight? « Reply #12 on: September 22, 2023, 03:01:47 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
The first production run of the LEDway began in August of 2008.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2023, 03:05:03 PM by LightsoftheWest » Logged

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

Molly

View Posts
View Gallery

The wild Lampent hates LEDs!

mollylovesreptiles UChSn_GuLy2eE43RAiEFyoEw mollylovesreptiles
Re: Who made the first LED streetlight? « Reply #13 on: September 22, 2023, 03:14:29 PM » Author: Molly
I'd probably say Leotek comes first. RUUD Lighting/BetaLED comes in second. There was a Leotek SL-36W1R-FX in my town that's probably been there before 2007 because it still shows up on the 2007 street view here.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2023, 03:21:57 PM by Molly » Logged

If you want to use any of my photos, please ask me for permission, and make sure to add credit. Thank you! :love:

AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Re: Who made the first LED streetlight? « Reply #14 on: September 27, 2023, 02:54:33 PM » Author: AgentHalogen_87
Here is a street view link to one our earliest LED lanterns. I believe it's a clipper or clara made by AdvancedLEDs. This (likely mk. 1 design) dates from the 1990s to the very early 2000s.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies