Author Topic: Why do we need SOX?  (Read 10756 times)
desktoptrashcan

View Posts
View Gallery

theroadrunner556
Re: Why do we need SOX? « Reply #45 on: May 20, 2021, 07:16:47 PM » Author: desktoptrashcan
I know LPS is good for inspecting items for defects like cracks during manufacturing due to the monochromatic light.
Das Rheingold

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why do we need SOX? « Reply #46 on: May 21, 2021, 02:27:45 AM » Author: Das Rheingold
A handful of cities actually liked the idea of SOX and seriously considered using SOX because the benefits outweighed the drawbacks (kinda like mentioned earlier in the thread), the only issue was residents from those cities complained.

They believed SOX made their cities look unattractive, particularly in business districts, and had a negative impact on fighting crime. Take Long Beach for example. They chose SOX for its efficiency and in response to the energy crisis in 1978, but that was short lived.

It looks like the area near and at the RMS Queen Mary still have LPS lights.

Sad that their days are now numbered since nobody makes bulbs for them  anymore,

My preference: Mercury Vapor > High Pressure Sodium > Metal Halide > Low Pressure Sodium > Incandescent > LED

Classical music appreciator, lover of all things machinery

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Why do we need SOX? « Reply #47 on: May 21, 2021, 03:15:58 AM » Author: Econolite03
The ones at the Queen Mary have been 80% removed, the rest were gone city wide by 1998 with the exception of some flood fixtures installed beneath a overpass on the 710 freeway.

Historically, the Queen Mary originally had GE M-1000s and GE PMA-115s, then Norelco SRPs and unknown-brand SOX post tops, and now LEDs as the SOX lights fell into disrepair over the years.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 03:20:42 AM by Econolite03 » Logged
Das Rheingold

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why do we need SOX? « Reply #48 on: May 21, 2021, 05:09:30 PM » Author: Das Rheingold
The ones at the Queen Mary have been 80% removed, the rest were gone city wide by 1998 with the exception of some flood fixtures installed beneath a overpass on the 710 freeway.

Historically, the Queen Mary originally had GE M-1000s and GE PMA-115s, then Norelco SRPs and unknown-brand SOX post tops, and now LEDs as the SOX lights fell into disrepair over the years.

Oof you're right I saw This streetview thinking they'd still be there, then I moved a a few shots over

I'll admit the first time I just went a few spaces, I decided to view more, should've done that before oops. But yeah, shame, I almost forget what LPS looks like in person.

Tbh, I always really liked it, even though it was bright I always found it easy on the eyes.

My preference: Mercury Vapor > High Pressure Sodium > Metal Halide > Low Pressure Sodium > Incandescent > LED

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Why do we need SOX? « Reply #49 on: May 21, 2021, 05:38:50 PM » Author: Econolite03
Yep. I remembered back when they were all still in there, seeing the SOX fixtures at the Queen Mary was my favorite thing whenever I visited the vessel.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Why do we need SOX? « Reply #50 on: May 21, 2021, 05:47:05 PM » Author: Rommie
I almost forget what LPS looks like in person.
There's one way to put that right, get one (or more..!) of your own, we've got this in the corner of the living room  ;D

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Das Rheingold

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why do we need SOX? « Reply #51 on: May 21, 2021, 05:53:04 PM » Author: Das Rheingold
There's one way to put that right, get one (or more..!) of your own, we've got this in the corner of the living room  ;D

Ooh that looks cool, tbh I'm thinking of making or getting an indoor HPS fixture

WigWag
Re: Why do we need SOX? « Reply #52 on: May 21, 2021, 07:02:35 PM » Author: WigWag
I've often wondered the same  :wndr: It's really the color that bothers me, like HPS. Growing up, we had a street light and a security light out back that we're both HPS and that harsh orangey light drove me crazy! One night, leaving the hospital, I nearly missed my car as the color was drastically different from what I knew my car to be.
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Why do we need SOX? « Reply #53 on: May 22, 2021, 03:46:00 AM » Author: AngryHorse
I definitely prefer white street lighting than orange, only because, as humans we live our lives in daylight, (white), i.e being able to see colour, we got use to sodium light at night because we knew it was night, and lit with artificial lighting. Unfortunately there are people like Sammie for instance, where white lighting at night makes things worse!,
But I suppose I’m one of the lucky few that can see better at night under 4000K white light than I ever remember under 1800 or 2000K

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies