Author Topic: How to get an 80W HPL-N ballast + bulb to work in Canada?  (Read 8612 times)
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: How to get an 80W HPL-N ballast + bulb to work in Canada? « Reply #15 on: November 07, 2021, 03:45:16 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
What we do is run the US spec ballasts off an inverter which is supplied the correct voltage at up to 15A.  :hidbal:

The same could be done in the States using a 230V 50Hz inverter.  :wndr:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: How to get an 80W HPL-N ballast + bulb to work in Canada? « Reply #16 on: November 08, 2021, 01:08:16 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Another way to get your 220-240v 50hz mercury vapor choke to run your 80w lamp at full power is to use a 120v to 277v step up transformer since the increased OCV from 240v would help compensate for the 20% underdrive.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How to get an 80W HPL-N ballast + bulb to work in Canada? « Reply #17 on: November 08, 2021, 08:14:07 PM » Author: funkybulb
  For a start and quick test is get a 4 foot  two lamp HO rapid start ballast  but using one of reds and blue  and cap off rest of unused  ballast leads.
  Those ballast runs lamp at 800 mA   85 watt fluorescent
 Tubes.   So it should run up 80 watt mercury lamp nicely

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies