Author Topic: Can Mercs be saved?  (Read 10442 times)
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Can Mercs be saved? « Reply #15 on: November 08, 2006, 09:56:06 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
Don...exactly...the problem is the FIXTURES...and yet Darksky wants to ban Mercs because it is an "excuse for cheap mercury yardlight" WELL GUESS WHAT DARKSKY....MH is the next excuse...now ban MH.....oh what MH is banned....now HPS is a good excuse for cheap bucket lights....well guess what people...HPS is banned and now the sky is really dark....I can't see outside..........

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

don93s

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can Mercs be saved? « Reply #16 on: November 08, 2006, 11:22:17 PM » Author: don93s
Good point...I see HPS bucket lights as well.
AE125Series
Re: Can Mercs be saved? « Reply #17 on: November 09, 2006, 01:08:01 PM » Author: AE125Series
I remember last year when my city voted to get rid of the rest of the mercury vapor fixtures they had leftover (over 900) and replaced them with high pressure sodium ones, it just made the skies more polluted here too. 

« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 01:10:27 PM by AE125Series » Logged
don93s

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can Mercs be saved? « Reply #18 on: November 09, 2006, 06:03:57 PM » Author: don93s
I've been looking at Dark Sky websites...I still have more research to do, but when i read about mercury vapor, usually the only thing mentioned, besides fixture glare, is how inefficient they are. Occasionally, something about how the blue light is harder to filter, but almost always about efficiency. What does efficiency have to do with dark skies? They actually encourage metal halide over merc...metal halide has blue all over the spectrum. They even call mercury vapor "full spectrum". WHAT? Since when did MV get a CRI of 80 or 90???  AND, "MV never really burns out...it just gets dimmer and dimmer". Who is writing this stuff?
AE125Series
Re: Can Mercs be saved? « Reply #19 on: November 09, 2006, 09:11:14 PM » Author: AE125Series
Uneducated people write that stuff on ridiculous websites like Dark Sky.
AE125Series
Re: Can Mercs be saved? « Reply #20 on: November 23, 2006, 10:00:52 PM » Author: AE125Series
Instead of passing laws against Mercury Vapor lighting, there should be laws passed against high pressure sodium lights. I'm so sick and tired of people especially the Dark Sky Association labeling mercury vapor lights as "bad". At least mercury vapor lights don't hurt trees.

Politicians often like to pass unfair laws like this just because they can, basically they're abusing their power.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 10:02:35 PM by AE125Series » Logged
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Can Mercs be saved? « Reply #21 on: November 25, 2006, 01:36:42 AM » Author: Silverliner
Yup it's the bureaucrats that are striving on over-regulation. Same thing with the old car restoration hobby. Hobbyists are constantly fighting unfair bills that would require more old cars to be taken off the road. They have the freedom to speak out because of the First Amendment. In many cases the hobbyists are successful in knocking down such bills. So now, why don't YOU ALL, street light and lighting hobbyists, SPEAK OUT to the government? Don't just sit back, SPEAK OUT!

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

NiMo

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can Mercs be saved? « Reply #22 on: November 25, 2006, 08:54:20 AM » Author: NiMo
Uhhh guys, as a supporter of HPS lighting, let me throw this into the mix.  HPS lighting is far more energy efficient that either Mercury or Metal Halide lighting.  And as for Darksky's concerns?  They recommend full cutoff fixtures to alleviate the problem of light spillover.  Now, here's something elst that hasn't been considered and why I support the continued use of HPS:  safety on the roads.  HPS with its yellow-dominant light spectrum can penetrate fog and snow far more effectively than MV or MH.

Now, back to the energy efficiency:  a 250-watt HPS lamp is brighter than a 400-watt merc, for example.

Group Replacement, Baby

AE125Series
Re: Can Mercs be saved? « Reply #23 on: November 25, 2006, 05:41:36 PM » Author: AE125Series
I agree with Dave, I think people should stand up and fight.
I would rather see lights with longer life and better color rendering (MV) lighting the streets rather than see something that's dreary and harmful to trees and other plants (HPS).
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Can Mercs be saved? « Reply #24 on: November 25, 2006, 06:34:23 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
whoa I can't even see the letters "HPS"   so it must mean HPS is bad! LOL

I don't mind LPS by the way....

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Can Mercs be saved? « Reply #25 on: January 09, 2007, 06:01:39 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
The topic is now locked and is continued here

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies