Author Topic: What will happen to MH and HPS before the end of their lives?  (Read 865 times)
bulb_tester2009

View Posts
View Gallery

Resolutely crack down on inferior LED lighting!!

GoL
What will happen to MH and HPS before the end of their lives? « on: February 05, 2022, 09:08:52 PM » Author: bulb_tester2009
I know :a_mh: MH The arc will turn green at the end of life, the arc tube will bulge, and the arc tube will crack after a long time of bulge. When the arc tube cracks, :a_mh: MH will die. But I don't know what will happen to  :a_son-t: HPSCan you tell me?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 09:11:53 PM by bulb_tester2009 » Logged

I've been collecting light bulbs since I was 2 years old and I've been collecting them ever since.
 :hps::hps::hps:
由于我来自中国,所以英语不精通,大部分内容都是翻译的,所以可能不通顺,请大家谅解
Note:
Bulb base in China:E12(CES) E14(SES) B22d(BC) E27(ES) E40(GES)

bulb_tester2009

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What will happen to MH and HPS before the end of their lives? « Reply #1 on: February 05, 2022, 11:57:07 PM » Author: bulb_tester2009
Will the arctube crack?

I've been collecting light bulbs since I was 2 years old and I've been collecting them ever since.
Note:

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: What will happen to MH and HPS before the end of their lives? « Reply #2 on: February 06, 2022, 04:16:21 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Only a small percentage of them leak, with HPS, the pressure usually just goes through the roof until their a bright mercury green colour on start up, and then constantly cycle within a very short period of being on.

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What will happen to MH and HPS before the end of their lives? « Reply #3 on: February 06, 2022, 04:25:51 AM » Author: Medved
The arctube may crack (some defect or when exposed to some vibration stress,...), but with HPS it is nothing violent, the pressure there is just way too low and the tube narrow (so not that big forces involved).
Usually as the HPS arctube blackens over time, it starts to overheat. And because HPS are saturated vapor lamps, overheating leads to the lamp cycling.

But if the arctube leaks and so ignite the discharge in the outer bulb, the outer may shatter and cause hot glass and metal showering down.

No more selfballasted c***

bulb_tester2009

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What will happen to MH and HPS before the end of their lives? « Reply #4 on: February 06, 2022, 08:38:29 PM » Author: bulb_tester2009
I have seen the explosion of MH. The arctube explosion did not break through the shell, but left black marks in the shell.  :a_mh:

Note:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies