Author Topic: Factory fresh or service hardened?  (Read 2869 times)
Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

Shaded OVM

Re: Factory fresh or service hardened? « Reply #15 on: May 25, 2022, 09:20:08 PM » Author: Burrito
I found some a few 1990's LED retrofitted M400A3s and a few Westinghouse OV-25 (4th gen i think, the one with the exposed slipfitter, Mercury vapor, LED now) and have LED corncobs in them. They're abandoned though

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
LED street lights are bad. Some look good though. HID is better.
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Factory fresh or service hardened? « Reply #16 on: May 25, 2022, 09:34:52 PM » Author: Bulbman256
It honestly for me depends on what condition the luminaire is in. Most lights I get I just leave alone after a safety check, however with my GE M400A2 being just this side of scrap aluminum, I had to restore it to get it back to a usable state. It turned out well, and I love having it around. :bulbman:

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Re: Factory fresh or service hardened? « Reply #17 on: May 26, 2022, 01:39:32 PM » Author: AgentHalogen_87
I think we all have that one fixture / lamp that we're really proud of. The effort you put in to improving it makes it significant, or visa versa.
108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: Factory fresh or service hardened? « Reply #18 on: June 03, 2022, 02:12:00 AM » Author: 108CAM
I have some old fluorescent fixtures that have had hard lives and are quite dirty but still work perfectly. I've left them as they are because it shows how the old stuff is built to last and how it still works despite the many years of abuse. If it ain't broke, don't fix or replace it.

Here's an example of what I mentioned above. The fixture is rather dirty but still works perfectly.
https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=6846&pos=34&pid=207165

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Re: Factory fresh or service hardened? « Reply #19 on: July 24, 2022, 02:44:13 PM » Author: AgentHalogen_87
High quality products of the past. :)
I have a 4ft fluro batten on which the gear cover plate is so rusted it looks like wood :lol:
I keep saying this, but it still fits: Built to work, built to last. No showing off, just showing up, and getting the job done. :a_fluor:
HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex - a fan of Jefferson Electric ballasts

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
Re: Factory fresh or service hardened? « Reply #20 on: July 24, 2022, 03:55:32 PM » Author: HIDLad001
I at least clean it up and get the grime off of it.

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it
HID Fixtures should stay HID, but I think LED is fine too.
Any new photos are taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35!
Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.
-Using Lighting-Gallery since 2022-

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Factory fresh or service hardened? « Reply #21 on: July 24, 2022, 03:56:47 PM » Author: joseph_125
When I got my louvered fluorescent fixture, I was going to strip it down for a new paint job but after a good cleaning I decided to install it as is with the original paint. It was still in decent condition after I got all the gunk off it. Not bad for something from 1958.

Cleaning fixtures is a must for me, I don't always do a full restore but I always clean my lights thoroughly, don't want decades of grime all over my lights. 
AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Re: Factory fresh or service hardened? « Reply #22 on: July 24, 2022, 04:17:59 PM » Author: AgentHalogen_87
HIDLad001 - That's the best way :)

joseph_125 - That is impressive for 68 years old!
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Factory fresh or service hardened? « Reply #23 on: July 24, 2022, 06:38:30 PM » Author: joseph_125
Thanks! The original gear was long gone though. It had a early electronic T8 ballast from 1993 inside it but before that there were enough splices in the wiring that the ballast was replaced 2 times prior to the T8 being fitted. Fortunately they left the original RFI suppressor in place which had a date of 1958 on it.

After the wash, I installed a T12 rapid start ballast like how it would have been fitted originally. I also cleaned up the wiring and replaced the lampholders as a couple were broken.
108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: Factory fresh or service hardened? « Reply #24 on: August 16, 2022, 05:30:39 AM » Author: 108CAM
There's a member here who has ruined countless rare 1960's fluorescent street lights by removing all the original internals that were supposedly "shot" when in actual fact it's done purely for looks. Worst of all, he sticks LED tubes inside the fixtures.

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Factory fresh or service hardened? « Reply #25 on: August 16, 2022, 06:05:17 AM » Author: Michael
When an old lantern enters my collection then I clean it and make a light restoration same as we do with older streetlight lanterns before they will be installed a second time. New bowl retention clamps, sometimes the wiring will be replaced and the bowl itself which might be cloudy. I rarely replace old magnetic ballasts because they fail very rarely. More prone for failure are the ignitors and capacitors which I check thoroughly.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Factory fresh or service hardened? « Reply #26 on: September 11, 2022, 04:11:12 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
As you know from the series of pictures I uploaded recently I've now got quite a few oil lamps.  :oil-ltn:  :mrg:

I've left all of them in the condition in which I got them, a couple are in mint condition, and have probably been fully restored, the others are going to be left as I got them, apart from getting a light clean as I feel it's important to try and preserve the story of the life they had before coming into my possession.  :oil-ltn: :love:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Re: Factory fresh or service hardened? « Reply #27 on: September 11, 2022, 06:07:09 PM » Author: AgentHalogen_87
Each with their own unique story to tell :oil-ltn: :wndr: 8)
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies