Author Topic: US Takes New Stab at Incandescent Bulb Ban.  (Read 3848 times)
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: US Takes New Stab at Incandescent Bulb Ban. « Reply #30 on: August 01, 2023, 11:26:16 AM » Author: Rommie
Joseph Swan as well, not to mention Anton Philips.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Richmond2000

View Posts
View Gallery

120V 60HZ

Re: US Takes New Stab at Incandescent Bulb Ban. « Reply #31 on: August 01, 2023, 12:09:09 PM » Author: Richmond2000
I heard a report that as far as global warming is concerned
mains gas lines LEAKING of gas BEFORE the utility meters accounts for one of the LARGEST causes in America and that switching to ELECTRIC heating (preferred heat pumps) and shutting the residential GAS mains would equal removing EVERY private car from America

and for lighting and the BAN I would LOVE to see the actual number of incandescent bulbs sold in the last year (outside of one time stocking up) as I imagine it is VERY low   
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: US Takes New Stab at Incandescent Bulb Ban. « Reply #32 on: August 01, 2023, 01:09:01 PM » Author: Rommie
They (the government) want us to use electricity for heating rather than gas here as well. That's all very well, except that electricity is several times the price of gas.

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

Lcubed3

View Posts
View Gallery

MAXIMUM LUMENS!!!

Re: US Takes New Stab at Incandescent Bulb Ban. « Reply #33 on: August 02, 2023, 12:45:50 AM » Author: Lcubed3
Also, since it sounds like this is going to ban light sources below 45 lpw, does that mean we could see lower wattage MV lamps be banned from production too? Most fall just under that rating, for example a 100w MV lamp is usually rated around 4,000 lumens when new.

No. I read the regulations, and the ban only applies to incandescent lamps.

Here is the full list of exemptions, if you are so interested:

General service lamp means a lamp that has an ANSI base; is able to operate at a voltage of 12 volts or 24 volts, at or between 100 to 130 volts, at or between 220 to 240 volts, or of 277 volts for integrated lamps (as defined in this section), or is able to operate at any voltage for non-integrated lamps (as defined in this section); has an initial lumen output of greater than or equal to 310 lumens (or 232 lumens for modified spectrum general service incandescent lamps) and less than or equal to 3,300 lumens; is not a light fixture; is not an LED downlight retrofit kit; and is used in general lighting applications. General service lamps include, but are not limited to, general service incandescent lamps, compact fluorescent lamps, general service light-emitting diode lamps, and general service organic light emitting diode lamps. General service lamps do not include:

(1) Appliance lamps;

(2) Black light lamps;

(3) Bug lamps;

(4) Colored lamps;

(5) G shape lamps with a diameter of 5 inches or more as defined in ANSI C79.1-2002 (incorporated by reference; see § 430.3);

(6) General service fluorescent lamps;

(7) High intensity discharge lamps;

(8 ) Infrared lamps;

(9) J, JC, JCD, JCS, JCV, JCX, JD, JS, and JT shape lamps that do not have Edison screw bases;

(10) Lamps that have a wedge base or prefocus base;

(11) Left-hand thread lamps;

(12) Marine lamps;

(13) Marine signal service lamps;

(14) Mine service lamps;

(15) MR shape lamps that have a first number symbol equal to 16 (diameter equal to 2 inches) as defined in ANSI C79.1-2002 (incorporated by reference; see § 430.3), operate at 12 volts, and have a lumen output greater than or equal to 800;

(16) Other fluorescent lamps;

(17) Plant light lamps;

(18) R20 short lamps;

(19) Reflector lamps (as defined in this section) that have a first number symbol less than 16 (diameter less than 2 inches) as defined in ANSI C79.1-2002 (incorporated by reference; see § 430.3) and that do not have E26/E24, E26d, E26/50x39, E26/53x39, E29/28, E29/53x39, E39, E39d, EP39, or EX39 bases;

(20) S shape or G shape lamps that have a first number symbol less than or equal to 12.5 (diameter less than or equal to 1.5625 inches) as defined in ANSI C79.1-2002 (incorporated by reference; see § 430.3);

(21) Sign service lamps;

(22) Silver bowl lamps;

(23) Showcase lamps;

(24) Specialty MR lamps;

(25) T shape lamps that have a first number symbol less than or equal to 8 (diameter less than or equal to 1 inch) as defined in ANSI C79.1-2002 (incorporated by reference; see § 430.3), nominal overall length less than 12 inches, and that are not compact fluorescent lamps (as defined in this section);

(26) Traffic signal lamps.

General service light-emitting diode (LED) lamp means an integrated or non-integrated LED lamp designed for use in general lighting applications (as defined in this section) and that uses light-emitting diodes as the primary source of light.

General service organic light-emitting diode (OLED) lamp means an integrated or non- integrated OLED lamp designed for use in general lighting applications (as defined in this section) and that uses organic light-emitting diodes as the primary source of light.

Infrared lamp means a lamp that is designed and marketed as an infrared lamp; has its highest radiant power peaks in the infrared region of the electromagnetic spectrum (770 nm to 1 mm); has a rated wattage of 125 watts or greater; and which has a primary purpose of providing heat.

Integrated lamp means a lamp that contains all components necessary for the starting and stable operation of the lamp, does not include any replaceable or interchangeable parts, and is connected directly to a branch circuit through an ANSI base and corresponding ANSI standard lamp-holder (socket).

LED Downlight Retrofit Kit means a product designed and marketed to install into an existing downlight, replacing the existing light source and related electrical components, typically employing an ANSI standard lamp base, either integrated or connected to the downlight retrofit by wire leads, and is a retrofit kit. LED downlight retrofit kit does not include integrated lamps or non-integrated lamps.

Left-hand thread lamp means a lamp with direction of threads on the lamp base oriented in the left-hand direction.

Light fixture means a complete lighting unit consisting of light source(s) and ballast(s) or driver(s) (when applicable) together with the parts designed to distribute the light, to position and protect the light source, and to connect the light source(s) to the power supply.

Marine lamp means a lamp that is designed and marketed for use on boats and can operate at or between 12 volts and 13.5 volts.

Marine signal service lamp means a lamp that is designed and marketed for marine signal service applications.

Mine service lamp means a lamp that is designed and marketed for mine service applications.

Non-integrated lamp means a lamp that is not an integrated lamp.

Other fluorescent lamp means low pressure mercury electric-discharge sources in which a fluorescing coating transforms some of the ultraviolet energy generated by the mercury discharge into light and include circline lamps and include double-ended lamps with the following characteristics: Lengths from one to eight feet; designed for cold temperature applications; designed for use in reprographic equipment; designed to produce radiation in the ultraviolet region of the spectrum; impact-resistant; reflectorized or aperture; or a CRI of 87 or greater.

Pin base lamp means a lamp that uses a base type designated as a single pin base or multiple pin base system.

Plant light lamp means a lamp that is designed to promote plant growth by emitting its highest radiant power peaks in the regions of the electromagnetic spectrum that promote photosynthesis: Blue (440 nm to 490 nm) and/or red (620 to 740 nm), and is designed and marketed for plant growing applications.

Reflector lamp means a lamp that has an R, PAR, BPAR, BR, ER, MR, or similar bulb shape as defined in ANSI C78.20-2003 (incorporated by reference; see § 430.3) and ANSI C79.1-2002 (incorporated by reference; see § 430.3) and is used to provide directional light.

Showcase lamp means a lamp that has a T shape as specified in ANSI C78.20-2003 (incorporated by reference; see § 430.3) and ANSI C79.1-2002 (incorporated by reference; see § 430.3), is designed and marketed as a showcase lamp, and has a maximum rated wattage of 75 watts.

Sign service lamp means a vacuum type or gas-filled lamp that has sufficiently low bulb temperature to permit exposed outdoor use on high-speed flashing circuits, is designed and marketed as a sign service lamp, and has a maximum rated wattage of 15 watts. Silver bowl lamp means a lamp that has an opaque reflective coating applied directly to part of the bulb surface that reflects light toward the lamp base and that is designed and marketed as a silver bowl lamp.

Specialty MR lamp means a lamp that has an MR shape as defined in ANSI C79.1-2002 (incorporated by reference; see § 430.3), a diameter of less than or equal to 2.25 inches, a lifetime of less than or equal to 300 hours, and that is designed and marketed for a specialty application.

Traffic signal lamp means a lamp that is designed and marketed for traffic signal applications and has a lifetime of 8,000 hours or greater.

===========================

Basically, they exempted everything that is not a CFL, LED, OLED, or general service incandescent lamp.

Portland General Electric: 120/240VAC @ 60Hz
Bringer of Light

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: US Takes New Stab at Incandescent Bulb Ban. « Reply #34 on: August 02, 2023, 03:21:04 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
Folks, no need to stress out.  I am confident that there will be plenty of lights available for many years to come.  Why?  There are Tons of them gathering dust on shelves and in storage in various places, homes, warehouses, offices, wherever.  And there will always be ways to get them.  It won't be perfect, but it will be possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDYfEBY9NM4

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Stop replacing fixtures that can be retrofitted.

Re: US Takes New Stab at Incandescent Bulb Ban. « Reply #35 on: August 02, 2023, 10:51:04 AM » Author: Maxim
Wait wait wait is this referring to T8s/T12s, or a different kind of bulb?

“T shape lamps that have a first number symbol less than or equal to 8 (diameter less than or equal to 1 inch) as defined in ANSI C79.1-2002 (incorporated by reference; see § 430.3), nominal overall length less than 12 inches, and that are not compact fluorescent lamps (as defined in this section);”

Collector of all kinds of lamps, gear, and fixtures.
My favorite lighting technologies at the moment are incandescent and mercury vapor, and my favorite Big 3 lighting brand of the late 20th century is GTE Sylvania.

About that Westinghouse Lifeguard disease, I think I've caught it. Thanks Eric! 8)

Lcubed3

View Posts
View Gallery

MAXIMUM LUMENS!!!

Re: US Takes New Stab at Incandescent Bulb Ban. « Reply #36 on: August 02, 2023, 02:50:08 PM » Author: Lcubed3
No, because they allow general service fluorescent lamps and other fluorescent lamps.

Also, these exist: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bulbrite-40-Watt-T8-Incandescent-Light-Bulb-Medium-Base-E26-Clear-2700K-5-Pack-861076/317656738

Portland General Electric: 120/240VAC @ 60Hz
Bringer of Light

nogden

View Posts
View Gallery

Nelson Ogden

nelson.ogden w8nwo
Re: US Takes New Stab at Incandescent Bulb Ban. « Reply #37 on: August 02, 2023, 03:00:10 PM » Author: nogden
Wait wait wait is this referring to T8s/T12s, or a different kind of bulb?

It is referring to tubular incandescent lamps like you might use for a showcase or picture light.
Robotjulep

View Posts
View Gallery

HID lighting is the best!!!

Re: US Takes New Stab at Incandescent Bulb Ban. « Reply #38 on: August 04, 2023, 01:04:27 AM » Author: Robotjulep
I don't get why they would ban Incandescent lamps in both warm and cold regions. It would make sense to use incandescent lamps in the winter to heat your room and use something cooler like fluorescent or  :eoled: in the summer. The heat generated by incandescent lamps can help save costs on heating right? But the reason why the people in charge (govt) are banning incandescent is because they were still way more popular than LED and there were many reasons for this. LED is going to become the only light source and us lighting enthusiasts are probably going to be the ones with conventional lighting items besides museums. But then there are the opportunists on eBay or Scamazon trying to take advantage of the ban and sell "Antique light bulb" for more than it is worth. But then there are LED opportunists selling "LED Solar Street light" listed around 9900000 lumens when it is no where near that bright. It is a big scam but I was surprised there weren't any negative reviews on it. I guess many consumers don't really know what lumens are anymore :sick:. https://www.ebay.com/itm/234958071421 This also puts us lighting collectors in a difficult situation on whether we should use conventional lighting that you can't get anymore or use LED. I have only a few mercs and I don't even light them because I can't replace them if they are broken and I already have pictures of them in operation. But for now my lighting is mostly CFL but I use LED in enclosed fixtures. I am fine with using a lighting source that I have an abundant stock. But the ban makes me feel sad because incandescent lamps were the first lamps I started collecting and they were so abundant in the days LED was a small thing.

[Admin edit - over-long eBay link shortened. Please read Reducing the Length of Links on the 'How To' list of hints and tips page.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2023, 10:20:23 AM by Rommie » Logged

I collect:
Light bulbs, fixtures, and gear,
Electric motors (Preferably AC induction motors),
Computers,
and Stereo equipment.

Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Stop replacing fixtures that can be retrofitted.

Re: US Takes New Stab at Incandescent Bulb Ban. « Reply #39 on: August 04, 2023, 09:57:19 AM » Author: Maxim
Hey Robotjulep,

If you’d like, I could send you a few mercs. They’re sold in every hardware store around here.

My local TrueValue has the “vintage” 2008 green GE packaging ones, whilst my Lowe’s just has the regular modern packaging. I believe they carry both 175 and 400W, though I could be mistaken.

Collector of all kinds of lamps, gear, and fixtures.
My favorite lighting technologies at the moment are incandescent and mercury vapor, and my favorite Big 3 lighting brand of the late 20th century is GTE Sylvania.

About that Westinghouse Lifeguard disease, I think I've caught it. Thanks Eric! 8)

Robotjulep

View Posts
View Gallery

HID lighting is the best!!!

Re: US Takes New Stab at Incandescent Bulb Ban. « Reply #40 on: August 04, 2023, 12:57:54 PM » Author: Robotjulep
A 175 w lamp would be great as I have an h39 ballast. My hardware store is only selling LEDs no CFLs and very few linear fluorescents. I think the last time I saw mercs in Lowes was around the year 2016 and never again after that.

I collect:
Light bulbs, fixtures, and gear,
Electric motors (Preferably AC induction motors),
Computers,
and Stereo equipment.

Steele1992

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: US Takes New Stab at Incandescent Bulb Ban. « Reply #41 on: August 05, 2023, 03:50:49 AM » Author: Steele1992
Folks, no need to stress out.  I am confident that there will be plenty of lights available for many years to come.  Why?  There are Tons of them gathering dust on shelves and in storage in various places, homes, warehouses, offices, wherever.  And there will always be ways to get them.  It won't be perfect, but it will be possible.

Hi

I collect exit signs, preferably vintage ones.

I also have a little bit of a thing for light bulbs, too. Of course, hoarding them due to the incandescent bulb ban.

(Signature last updated October 27, 2011)

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: US Takes New Stab at Incandescent Bulb Ban. « Reply #42 on: August 05, 2023, 09:20:10 AM » Author: Rommie
That'll keep you going for a week or two, then  ;D

Steele1992

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: US Takes New Stab at Incandescent Bulb Ban. « Reply #43 on: August 05, 2023, 03:01:08 PM » Author: Steele1992
lol yeah

need to sort through them and keep only what I need as this room I'm gonna be re-doing. I started hoarding them when they were dirt cheap during the first ban in 2011/2012 during the Obama era.

I collect exit signs, preferably vintage ones.

I also have a little bit of a thing for light bulbs, too. Of course, hoarding them due to the incandescent bulb ban.

(Signature last updated October 27, 2011)

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies