Author Topic: WTB: 50W HPS Ballast (Kit)  (Read 2788 times)
Madness
WTB: 50W HPS Ballast (Kit) « on: December 29, 2009, 11:30:53 AM » Author: Madness
Got me a couple of 50W ED17 lamps, but nothing to drive 'em. Would anyone have a spare 50W HPS ballast (w/ igniter)? I found this via Google, but I thought I ask here, first.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 08:36:46 AM by Madness » Logged
tmcdllr

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: WTB: 50W HPS Ballast (Kit) « Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 12:46:41 AM » Author: tmcdllr
That one looks like it would work just fine. You could also Google search to see if you can find one at a cheaper price eventhough that is pretty cheap.

Nothing like the beautiful cool white light of a coated Mercury Vapor lamp and the soothing hum of it's magnetic ballast.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: WTB: 50W HPS Ballast (Kit) « Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 02:15:11 AM » Author: joseph_125
They may also pop up from time to time on ebay which usually has ballasts cheaper than retail. The one that you linked to seems pretty cheap to me.
Madness
Re: WTB: 50W HPS Ballast (Kit) « Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 03:16:17 AM » Author: Madness
Extra 10 bucks & change for shipping, though. :( And it doesn't include a capacitor. Would I need one?
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: WTB: 50W HPS Ballast (Kit) « Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 03:27:43 AM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah that's one of the main reasons why I usually buy my lighting stuff locally. It's even more expensive to ship that up here to Canada.

You could also ask around locally at any electrical supply or lighting store, they usually carry HPS ballasts but the price may vary. 

As for the capacitor, that depends on the ballast type, if the ballast is a 120V reactor you don't need it, I don't know if HX ones need it or not. CWA/CWI ballasts always needs a capacitor.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: WTB: 50W HPS Ballast (Kit) « Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 07:54:50 AM » Author: Medved
As for the capacitor, that depends on the ballast type, if the ballast is a 120V reactor you don't need it, I don't know if HX ones need it or not. CWA/CWI ballasts always needs a capacitor.

50W HPS would be serial choke only, so the capacitor is there only to increase the power factor and generally it is not necessary for the lamp to work. It only lower the mains current, what might be important in case of long, so high resistive supply wiring is used (to reduce the voltage drop). But one 50W fixture does not draw as much to make any problem even without the capacitor...

No more selfballasted c***

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: WTB: 50W HPS Ballast (Kit) « Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 05:27:01 PM » Author: joseph_125
50W HPS would be serial choke only

I've seen a 50W HX HPS ballast before but they are always multitap ballasts. Would that type require a capacitor or not?
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: WTB: 50W HPS Ballast (Kit) « Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 04:04:50 AM » Author: Medved
HX is principally step-up transformer with integrated serial inductance as ballasting impedance, so use the capa for exactly the same reason as serial choke: Compensate for lower power factor. So for main functionality it is not needed.

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies