Author Topic: Displaying Fluorescent tubes  (Read 907 times)
Alex

View Posts
View Gallery

feel free to ask questions

Displaying Fluorescent tubes « on: September 24, 2022, 06:35:49 AM » Author: Alex
Hello,
I have a collection of 100-120pcs of various fluorescent tubes dating from the 40s to today and ranging from small 10W up to 215W PG tubes. Variating in size from T4, T5, T8, T10, T12 and T17. I want to display these tubes, as many as possible in my collection display, however I do not know how. I could put them on a wall but it would take up a lot of wall space rather inefficiently.

Does anyone of you have a display idea?

Best regards,

Alex
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 09:16:48 AM by Silverliner » Logged

Glück auf ⚒️

AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Re: Dispaling Fluorescent tubes « Reply #1 on: September 24, 2022, 10:28:23 AM » Author: AgentHalogen_87
For the small to medium length tubes, you could create or buy a rotating pedestal that fits in the corner of the room, with the tubes mounted vertically. :wndr:
Alex

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Dispaling Fluorescent tubes « Reply #2 on: September 27, 2022, 02:03:43 PM » Author: Alex
Hello,
Many thanks for your reply. That is a very good idea I did not think about yet, but now, i start to really like it.

Best regards,

Alex

Glück auf ⚒️

James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Dispaling Fluorescent tubes « Reply #3 on: September 28, 2022, 05:11:12 PM » Author: James
Another technique I have seen done in factories for storing reference standard tubes is to install vertical sliding panels similar to those used in art galleries - kind of like a normal chest of drawers but standing vertically from floor to ceiling.  Then in each compartment a large quantity of fluorescent lamps can be stacked vertically, side by side.  Some kind of clips are needed though to hold each tube securely.  I suppose the same could be custom made with more conventional horizontal drawers - but those do not generally exist in such great widths.  The vertical style seem to be more readily available for picture storage.  See for instance http://www.pictureracking.com/shop/painting-storage/pull-out-painting-storage-racks/
108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: Dispaling Fluorescent tubes « Reply #4 on: September 28, 2022, 07:29:56 PM » Author: 108CAM
My 4 foot tubes are stored in a storage rack that's been turned sideways. My 2 foot tubes are stored in cardboard boxes that are sitting sideways to acct as shelves. It works very well. The 8 foot tubes are the worst in terms of storage but thankfully I only have one and it sits against the wall in the corner of my room.
Here is a photo of my tube storage.

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

Alex

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Dispaling Fluorescent tubes « Reply #5 on: September 29, 2022, 03:10:58 AM » Author: Alex
Hello,

108CAM, thats my current way of storing them, but I do not like it for the reason being, that you only see the endcaps. Indeed my Only 8ft tube is my power Groove type and that one need something special for itself.

James, I really like the drower idea, i have not thought of that yet. It might not be worthy for tubes bigger then 3ft, however for small T5, and “PL-Lamps and similars it might be a very good idea.

best regards,

Alex

Glück auf ⚒️

Alex

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Dispaling Fluorescent tubes « Reply #6 on: October 15, 2022, 02:02:46 PM » Author: Alex
Hello,

so I think I made my mind up about my fluo tubes. I will display my fluorescent tube with a length up to 76cm, PLs and non linear tubes the way James suggested in self-made drawers wich would that be 1 1/8" and 1 5/8" tall.
The other ones, at least the "more special" ones will go in a triangular display after the schema attached in the file. I still really like the rotating pedestal idea by Agent Halogen, sadly at my actual place there is not the place for that. 

I planned to show the final result in a museum building thread-but as there is now members only board ti won't be happening. If someone is still interested as example as idea for his museum plans-especially for small room- pictures may be shared via PM after contacting.

best regards,

Alex

Glück auf ⚒️

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies