Author Topic: Low wattage, vertical burning MH Wallpacks...?  (Read 2115 times)
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Low wattage, vertical burning MH Wallpacks...? « Reply #15 on: May 03, 2023, 10:44:22 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
There shouldn't be providing that the screws are big enough.  :wndr:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Low wattage, vertical burning MH Wallpacks...? « Reply #16 on: May 03, 2023, 10:45:00 AM » Author: joseph_125
Should be fine if you screw them in the centres of the studs. If you want you can use lag screws but those will require you to predrill pilot holes.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Low wattage, vertical burning MH Wallpacks...? « Reply #17 on: May 03, 2023, 10:46:28 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Yeah, those are good enough to support the weight of a dead body...  :mrg:

Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Low wattage, vertical burning MH Wallpacks...? « Reply #18 on: May 03, 2023, 08:58:52 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
They should be fine ! Those fixtures don't weigh much .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Low wattage, vertical burning MH Wallpacks...? « Reply #19 on: May 03, 2023, 11:55:34 PM » Author: suzukir122
Yep! I agree... those fixtures are actually much, much lighter than I expected. However, I reached an epic fail. Either those studs in that garage
are some sort of wooden steel that I knew nothing about, or that cordless Hyper Tough screwdriver SUCKS!
I can't get the screws to screw into the studs. At all. I'm also thinking maybe the wooden screws aren't the way to go, and that I may need different
types of screws for this.
Not too much of a let down though... I'm at least almost half way towards completion. The fact that these magnetic Metal Halide wallpacks seem
extremely lightweight is also a major upside to all of this.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Low wattage, vertical burning MH Wallpacks...? « Reply #20 on: May 04, 2023, 10:34:20 AM » Author: suzukir122
Looking back on yesterday, I totally forgot about drilling pilot holes first before attempting to drill in the screws. :slap: Bruh.
I'll attempt this late tonight once I have time... but I'm not confident in the power of that Hyper Tough battery operated screwdriver.
I don't have time today to go to the store to get an actual drill, so I'll see if I can get this all done tonight.

Interests:
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Low wattage, vertical burning MH Wallpacks...? « Reply #21 on: May 04, 2023, 10:49:33 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Oops...  :-[

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Low wattage, vertical burning MH Wallpacks...? « Reply #22 on: May 04, 2023, 12:53:01 PM » Author: suzukir122
I had a little unexpected extra time today, so I went and bought a 20 volt Hyper Tough impact driver from Walmart. I'm also gonna
be doing a couple test runs first before I even think about mounting the first fixture. There is... at least a 50% chance my tiny garage
will be completely lit with four Metal Halide fixtures. If that happens, best believe it'll be on video.

Interests:

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Low wattage, vertical burning MH Wallpacks...? « Reply #23 on: May 05, 2023, 01:32:03 AM » Author: suzukir122
Two fixtures are mounted... the other two... well... I can't even drill a pilot hole with the drill bit. The studs on the wall to the left are two strong, even with the impact driver. These fixtures are very lightweight... but I don't know of a way around this. I posted a pic of the mounted fixtures, on my gallery.

Interests:

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Low wattage, vertical burning MH Wallpacks...? « Reply #24 on: May 10, 2023, 02:59:40 PM » Author: suzukir122
UPDATE: the fixtures are all installed successfully: https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=4976&pos=0&pid=228775
So... what was the problem? An idiot who named himself Suzukir122, drilled counterclockwise instead of clockwise. Screw no go in. Suzukir122 confused now.
Suzukir122 bash head instead of switching from counterclockwise to clockwise with the impact screwdriver. Somehow, Suzukir122 gained intelligence several
days later and realized his critical error... results in the posted link above.

Interests:

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Low wattage, vertical burning MH Wallpacks...? « Reply #25 on: May 10, 2023, 03:32:11 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Oops... Been there, done that.  :-[

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Low wattage, vertical burning MH Wallpacks...? « Reply #26 on: May 10, 2023, 04:29:34 PM » Author: suzukir122
The funny thing is I was so convinced it was spinning the correct direction, that I didn't even think about it. Just kept attempting.  :lol:
Once I drilled the first hole, I repositioned one of the previous mounted fixtures, mounted the other two fixtures and now everything looks incredible.
It almost looks some sort of public place in that garage, with those lights on.
It's so awesome hearing the loud ballast hum from each fixture, as well as seeing the brilliant orange flashing during start up, compared to the pink
flashes I'm use to seeing, from my electronic ballasted 20w MH track lights and 23w electronic ballasted PAR38s.

Interests:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies