Author Topic: Vintage street light  (Read 1012 times)
Walter Knox

View Posts
View Gallery

@WalterKnox
Vintage street light « on: April 23, 2023, 11:05:20 PM » Author: Walter Knox
So, I haven't posted here for quite a while. I just haven't really come across anything interesting. I am by no means a street light person, but I do like older ones, and can't stand the new LED junk they are putting in now. This light is in a park around where I live. There are probably 20-30 of these lights, mixed with some newer cobra heads. I am pretty sure these fixtures are quite old, I think they may be incandescent as I see no way a ballast could fit in them. I have always liked them as they are obviously older than all of the other ones, and they aren't the standard cheap crap you see now.
The only reason i took a picture and am posting it here, is that they are currently in the process of "upgrading" them to some cheap LED junk, so I got a shot of them while I could. I have never seen them lit up, so I don't know if they are still in service at this point, but I imagine they are. Sadly, they won't be around much longer. There are a few of these with the globes off, I may go back and walk around them and see if I can get a close up of them.
Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

Shaded OVM

Re: Vintage street light « Reply #1 on: April 24, 2023, 12:10:06 AM » Author: Burrito
Looks to be a General Electric Form something. One way to tell is the slipfitter design. Sucks these are getting removed! You should try and save one?

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
LED street lights are bad. Some look good though. HID is better.
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

Walter Knox

View Posts
View Gallery

@WalterKnox
Re: Vintage street light « Reply #2 on: April 24, 2023, 12:13:04 AM » Author: Walter Knox
The issue is that I don't know exactly when they are going to be replaced, and it is far enough away that i don't go there too often. I also have no idea how I would even go about contacting someone to inquire.
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Vintage street light « Reply #3 on: April 24, 2023, 12:15:03 AM » Author: joseph_125
Looks like it might be a Form 79? They're typically incandescent but the head could probably fix a 175w HX MV ballast.

It's a shame these are getting removed. Even if they wanted LED, they could have kept the old fixtures and stuck 3000K screw in LEDs in. Would look a lot better than any modern LED fixture.
Walter Knox

View Posts
View Gallery

@WalterKnox
Re: Vintage street light « Reply #4 on: April 24, 2023, 12:28:20 AM » Author: Walter Knox
Yeah. About half of them have the globes removed for some reason (they weren't like that a few months ago). I think that is the same fixture though. It IS really sad they are "upgrading" to LEDs at all, much more they are replacing the whole fixtures. I still fear the day they start putting those harsh bright LED lights in my neighborhood. There is a street light right at the end of my driveway, and it is luckily still HPS, so it is pleasant. If they try to stick some harsh blue LED there, I am going to raise some hell.
Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

Shaded OVM

Re: Vintage street light « Reply #5 on: April 30, 2023, 09:09:41 PM » Author: Burrito
Nope, it's a Ge, the slipfitter style is a giveaway

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
LED street lights are bad. Some look good though. HID is better.
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies