Author Topic: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!)  (Read 50395 times)
nogden

View Posts
View Gallery

Nelson Ogden

nelson.ogden w8nwo
Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #30 on: May 06, 2010, 09:04:04 PM » Author: nogden
No shocker there (pardon the pun!). I've seen countless circuits installed where the grounds were cut short or not connected. I've also seen grounds just pinched between the device and the box. It's too bad that some people neglect to properly connect such an important conductor. It's not too hard to do it the right way!

-Nelson
tmcdllr

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #31 on: May 06, 2010, 11:45:21 PM » Author: tmcdllr
I've had people come into the store wanting to change out their old 2 wire receptacles to 3 wire, and eventhough there was no ground wire and they didn't want to rewire it properly, they ignorantly thought that using a grounding adapter in the outlet would somehow magically cause it to be grounded and safe. Or the people that wanted to run extension cords/cable for permanent use instead of spending the extra money to have it done right, which we offered, but they were too cheap.

Nothing like the beautiful cool white light of a coated Mercury Vapor lamp and the soothing hum of it's magnetic ballast.

Alights

View Posts
View Gallery

USA (120V 60HZ)

Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #32 on: June 22, 2010, 05:49:01 PM » Author: Alights
'Ive had people come into the store wanting to change out their old 2 wire receptacles to 3 wire, and eventhough there was no ground wire and they didn't want to rewire it properly, they ignorantly thought that using a grounding adapter in the outlet would somehow magically cause it to be grounded and safe. Or the people that wanted to run extension cords/cable for permanent use instead of spending the extra money to have it done right, which we offered, but they were too cheap.

I have seen the same thing in my grandmother's house, and when i switched the cheap LPF magnetic ballasts to HPF magnetic F40's the ground wires shocked me! thats why they were cut short! yet the house has been rewired recently!
SuperSix

View Posts
View Gallery

ATL P42STUFF supersix94
Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #33 on: June 28, 2010, 03:48:21 PM » Author: SuperSix
I noticed my old school I used to go to had installed 160W blended mercury vapour bulbs into 125W mercury vapour fittings. They seemed to work perfectly fine but I shouldn't think the heat did the fittings much good! Someone had also tried to fit a 6' 70W T8 into a 6' 85W T12 lamp with SRS gear and nothing happened, for some reason it was left like this for several months and if you fiddled with the switch flicking it up and down you could get the lamp to flash but that was about it.

Atlas Lamps - Seeing Is Believing!

http://www.youtube.com/user/P42STUFF

lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Zero 88 Lighting Controls Rule!

Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #34 on: July 06, 2010, 04:58:43 PM » Author: lightman64
Here's some I came across:

"Using HPS lamps in recessed 70W MH fixtures indoors, so when you walk in the lights go white-yellow-white."

Is this really possible? That means I could change my security light fixture (70w PSMH) to HPS!

The future of street lighting is Induction, not nasty HPS lights or cr@ppy LED lights!
Preheat CFL's should make a comeback!

tmcdllr

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #35 on: July 06, 2010, 06:29:02 PM » Author: tmcdllr
Have seen HPS fixtures using incandescent bulbs as replacements.......lame!

Nothing like the beautiful cool white light of a coated Mercury Vapor lamp and the soothing hum of it's magnetic ballast.

rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #36 on: November 06, 2010, 04:30:09 PM » Author: rjluna2
How about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWLX8jm_M1g

That is really f**king stupid with those dangerous phosphor and mercury dissipation in the air :o

I am sure that EPA would swarm all over with violation slapped on the motocycle guy

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

RCM442
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

rcm442 UC1Q-wYhi9O-1q4ugOaOZ9dA rcm442
Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #37 on: November 13, 2010, 02:10:48 AM » Author: RCM442
this JUST happened! My dad put a stupid CFL on a dimmer! REALLY bad idea!  :o

LEDs need to stop taking over everything
Administrator #4
Need help with something on the site? Let me know!

seansy59

View Posts
View Gallery

I am OPEN for Lighting talk!

Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #38 on: December 10, 2010, 11:03:14 AM » Author: seansy59
I daisy chained about 10 power strips before, and cords/splitters for x-mas lights once, turned them on, and everything went out. Wondering why it happened, and melting the first 2 power strips. Lets just say, I decided to not do it again, and used a different method.:)

I've also put t8 bulbs in a t12 light before, with the wrong wattage, and saw a nice 2 second display.

Rapid Start and Preheat fluorescent! No instant start!

Zelandeth

View Posts
View Gallery

ATL @zelandeth Zelandeth zelandeth zelandeth zelandeth
Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #39 on: January 10, 2011, 02:14:53 PM » Author: Zelandeth
The building where I work (14 floor 70s tower block) is always a good one.  We've got a completely random selection of lamps across all of the open plan area, the criteria apparently being that whatever lamps (they're using T12's at least, F40's mostly I think, quite a few 20W ones too) that they can get cheapest at any given time determines the colour temperature.  Just walking through the 1st floor I go past 2700, 3000, 4000 and 6500K white!  Our office is actually matched - but only because I made enough of a nuisance of myself that they sorted it just to shut me up.

The ballasts here I THINK are series resonant ones, and when the lamp will no longer strike, leaves the electrodes on preheat indefinitely.  There's no starter involved, the lamps just shimmer into life once you flick the switch.  Heater will light even if only one end of any lamp is connected.  The caps are on flying leads and the lamps held into the fixtures with terry clips around the tubes.

I reported it to them when in the canteen one day that there was a really strong smell of electrical burning, and it was ignored.  Went in the day after, and you could see the heaters in that lamp pulsating, and the smell was far stronger in that corner of the room - clearly something not being right - still ignored.  ...Three days later, fire alarm goes off when the room fills up with smoke.  Yep, the ballast was to blame.  This has happened at least twice since, yet when I was in there today, there were at least ten lamps in that room either out, dimly glowing or flickering madly.

...They replaced the lamp and that one ballast, still leaving the ones next to it - one of which was out and the other was rectifying and glowing dim purple and had been for weeks!

Makes me feel like I'm beating my head against a brick wall does behaviour like that. 

The diffusers are held into the false ceiling by little screw clips which have to be fastened manually when finished - these seem to get forgotten occasionally.  Needless to say I was somewhat surprised when the one above my desk landed on my head one afternoon - though my co-workers found it highly amusing.  Granted, so did I, well once my heart rate had returned to normal anyway.

After three months of badgering the facilities team to refit it, I gave in and just stood on the desk and refitted the thing myself.

Pretty much sets the scene for maintenance in general where I work really!
SuperSix

View Posts
View Gallery

ATL P42STUFF supersix94
Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #40 on: January 10, 2011, 02:27:32 PM » Author: SuperSix
That doesn't sound too good! The ballasts stink when they fail as well :P

If the cathode filament glows with only one end connected then it's most likely to be a quickstart ballast with a heating transformer, they normally start in under a second.

Atlas Lamps - Seeing Is Believing!

http://www.youtube.com/user/P42STUFF

Kev

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #41 on: January 10, 2011, 05:57:39 PM » Author: Kev
Oh god where do i start with stupid stuff i have done! Wrong use of towers, One time i had to re-lamp a sports hall 11M High but we only had a 9M Cherry Picker...Bungie tied a set of steps to the side and put the steps in the cherry picker!

There is loads of dangerous stuff i have seen too much to list! As for myself i always work live and its rare i isolate anything! Hands right in the 3 phase boards! I will try and remember some of the stupid stuff i have seen.

Voted to leave the EU and proud! 👉🏻🇪🇺🇬🇧

nogden

View Posts
View Gallery

Nelson Ogden

nelson.ogden w8nwo
Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #42 on: January 10, 2011, 06:34:01 PM » Author: nogden
Zelandeth, sounds like where I work! At least the maintenance crews typically order the same color lamps, but that's no guarantee. I gave up long ago complaining. Now I just change all my own lamps! I think I need to start changing my own ballasts as well. I've even had to change lamps in the maintenance storage rooms so that I could see to work on our phone wiring! The custodians don't even seem to care if their own lights are out. In the time it would take me to leave a note for the few custodians who might actually change a lamp, I can do it myself.
sparkie

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #43 on: January 11, 2011, 05:07:57 PM » Author: sparkie
Moving a Tallescope when there's someone in the basket (and being in the basket while someone moves it), a practice that is explicitly forbidden by the manufacturer but is very common in the entertainment lighting industry :o

Unplugging a 15A plug with one hand whilst holding onto an earthed lighting bar with the other hand!  :o
nogden

View Posts
View Gallery

Nelson Ogden

nelson.ogden w8nwo
Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #44 on: January 11, 2011, 09:37:34 PM » Author: nogden
"Unplugging a 15A plug with one hand whilst holding onto an earthed lighting bar with the other hand!"

I was guilty of that earlier this evening. Only I was using 20A stage pin plugs while stabilizing the grounded metal batten with the other hand. I try to avoid hot plugging, but when you need to make last minute lighting changes ten minutes before the show, that's what you do!
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies