Author Topic: Will a 175W MH M57 ballast run a 175W MV properly?  (Read 2357 times)
SOX55W

View Posts
View Gallery

120V 60Hz here!

Will a 175W MH M57 ballast run a 175W MV properly? « on: September 01, 2011, 08:17:38 PM » Author: SOX55W
Since MV ballasts have been outlawed in the US, doesn't a 175W MH ballast work fine? Is there a better choice? Is the capacitor wired the same way for the MV lamp as for MH?

Bring SOX lamps back!!!

FYI, LED's are NOT the most efficient lighting technology available! Don't know how people keep coming to that conclusion!

My other interests: sports cars, refrigeration, microcontroller projects, computer hardware, and any sort of custom fabrication.

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Will a 175W MH M57 ballast run a 175W MV properly? « Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 09:44:28 PM » Author: sol
I believe most MH ballasts of 175 W to 1000 W probe start only are compatible with MV lamps. Better check the label, though, just to be sure.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Will a 175W MH M57 ballast run a 175W MV properly? « Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 05:16:22 AM » Author: Medved
The 175W is compatible with MV lamps. MH differ only in the required minimum OCV, for MV's this is no problem at all...
But the MH ballast would be heavier and/or more lossy then the MV one, mainly due to the higher OCV.

No more selfballasted c***

SOX55W

View Posts
View Gallery

120V 60Hz here!

Re: Will a 175W MH M57 ballast run a 175W MV properly? « Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 11:03:58 AM » Author: SOX55W
Yeah, I have a 400W F-can ballast that is labeled for both M59 (400W MH) and H33 (400W MV). I thought they stopped adding the MV designations only due to the ballast ban, even though the MH ballasts are still compatable. They are not allowed to mention MV lamp compatability on them anymore.  Thanks for the confirmation. I've got a couple 175W MVs in my collection and need to get a ballast next spending cycle. I wish I knew how to get ahold of city and utility scrap like many of the members here seem to do. Buying everything new is expensive...but I did get the F-can ballast for free.  The maintenance guy gave it to me since the installation they were for has been upgraded to T5HO and LED and all the other MH use core/coil ballasts.  There's at least 10 or 15 sitting in there that will most likely go to the scrap yard some day. They're heavy as h ell...about 25 lb each.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 11:05:38 AM by SOX55W » Logged

Bring SOX lamps back!!!

FYI, LED's are NOT the most efficient lighting technology available! Don't know how people keep coming to that conclusion!

My other interests: sports cars, refrigeration, microcontroller projects, computer hardware, and any sort of custom fabrication.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Will a 175W MH M57 ballast run a 175W MV properly? « Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 04:20:59 PM » Author: Ash
You probably can find who to ask, just search. I recently got 3 HPS floodlights which were going to be scrapped, and 2 of them are allready repaired by me and working (third one needs replacement socket). That despite i was told by workers on the site in the beginning that i ain't gonna get them
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies