Author Topic: LED Christmas lights ARRGH!!!!!  (Read 22502 times)
takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED Christmas lights ARRGH!!!!! « Reply #75 on: November 20, 2017, 05:58:05 PM » Author: takemorepills
This year I bought 8 boxes of replacement incan C7s.
The Christmas tree is going to be all incan this year.
I do have good LED lights that have good color balance, i.e. the blues are not too bright and from a distance the multicolor LEDs don't blur into a purplish light blob like many LED sets seem to do. But the LEDs are likely not coming out this year.

I hope that someday LED Christmas lights can be made with warm white emitters and colored envelops so they have the smoother colors of incan, and are scratch resistant due to being colored plastic. I know some people prefer monochromatic LED color, but it is just too harsh, and even if you like it you gotta admit it looks nothing like the original lights, especially the blues. My admiration of Christmas lights comes from my youth of the 80's and growing up around Christmas lights that were as old as the '40s, so the glaring pure monochromatic LEDs just don't give me that "warm fuzzy". I can see how people who like lights for other reasons would like LED.

Christmas 2017 is all incan for us this year. And I may buy even more boxes of incan bulbs just to be sure I have enough for a few decades after they are gone, until I am gone too!
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED Christmas lights ARRGH!!!!! « Reply #76 on: November 20, 2017, 08:42:55 PM » Author: sol
My admiration of Christmas lights comes from my youth of the 80's and growing up around Christmas lights that were as old as the '40s, so the glaring pure monochromatic LEDs just don't give me that "warm fuzzy". I can see how people who like lights for other reasons would like LED.

Hear, hear !

I quite like multicolour LED lights, provided they are on an instrument control panel light cluster and not on my Christmas tree.

That said, I respect the preference of others. Each to their own.

PS for the Latin speakers out there : De gustibus et coloribus non dispudandum.
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: LED Christmas lights ARRGH!!!!! « Reply #77 on: November 22, 2017, 12:54:22 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
I've been putting up my outside lights.. and trees inside. The majority of it being LED.

I always change things a bit from year to year, This year I know I put up more lights outside than last (and used some lights I'd put on a tree inside last year...I'm gonna have to dig through my lights stash, (hopefully have more white-wire LEDs in any color but multi or WW) but, not sure I do. .ug. I might have to use some of my old incandescent mini's for that trees. )
(Or I could break out that set of white-wire C9's I've never used ... but :o no, that'd take far too much power)

-------------------
I hope that someday LED Christmas lights can be made with warm white emitters and colored envelops
If I ever saw such a thing, even if it was at the 90% off sales after Christmas, I'd leave it right there on the shelf . LOL

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: LED Christmas lights ARRGH!!!!! « Reply #78 on: November 22, 2017, 01:51:26 AM » Author: Lodge
I've been putting up my outside lights.. and trees inside. The majority of it being LED.

I always change things a bit from year to year, This year I know I put up more lights outside than last (and used some lights I'd put on a tree inside last year...I'm gonna have to dig through my lights stash, (hopefully have more white-wire LEDs in any color but multi or WW) but, not sure I do. .ug. I might have to use some of my old incandescent mini's for that trees. )
(Or I could break out that set of white-wire C9's I've never used ... but :o no, that'd take far too much power)

-------------------If I ever saw such a thing, even if it was at the 90% off sales after Christmas, I'd leave it right there on the shelf . LOL

;D I don't care what type of lights you use, in general I just like christmas lights and I wanna see some pictures of your display, because you are the Xmaslightguy...
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: LED Christmas lights ARRGH!!!!! « Reply #79 on: November 25, 2017, 09:12:55 PM » Author: CEB1993
I got some Walmart store brand Holiday Time LED C7's for my Christmas tree.  They look cool (and feel cool) but the plastic outer bulb doesn't look the same compared to the glass.  They have a small flicker too.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: LED Christmas lights ARRGH!!!!! « Reply #80 on: November 25, 2017, 10:32:16 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: Lodge
  ;D I don't care what type of lights you use, in general I just like christmas lights and I wanna see some pictures of your display, because you are the Xmaslightguy...
It may be awhile before I actually get pic's taken, but when I do I'll PM you with some pic's or a link to (assuming my bad memory actually remembers)
Still need to finish putting up (getting close there :) )
Then try to figure out whatever the issues I'm having with them not operating correctly are..

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: LED Christmas lights ARRGH!!!!! « Reply #81 on: November 25, 2017, 11:53:08 PM » Author: Patrick
I just put up my outside lights, with consist of the following.

* Two sets of 25 LED transparent C9 multi-color.  These are basically ordinary LED series mini-lights with translucent C9-shaped covers.
* Two sets of of 25 incandescent ceramic C9 (multi-color grouped by color - i.e., 5 red, followed 5 orange, 5 white, 5 green, and 5 blue).
* One set of 25 incandescent ceramic C7 similar to above.

Given the power usage of the incandescent sets, I'd be open to going all LED, but I want something better than the dim flickery half-wave series sets.  I tried out a few Minleon LED retrofit bulbs which are 120V lamps with intermediate or candelabra base.  I found them to be quite good, though I've yet to commit to making the switch.  The colors were more saturated, and I'd prefer to mimic the less intense originals.  Nevertheless they were acceptable otherwise, and it looks like there's a new SMD variation available now, which may be improved further. 

It'd be interesting to see if LED filament Christmas lights take off.  I'd like to see some utilizing warm white LED filaments along with a real ceramic finish that won't chip.

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED Christmas lights ARRGH!!!!! « Reply #82 on: November 26, 2017, 02:51:52 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
My last year of the "incandescent" mini Christmas lights.  Bulbs are burning out.  I purchased a number of decent quality LEDs a few years ago but have held off on using them, wanted to get some more life out of the old lights I have now but alas the time has come. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies