Author Topic: Replacing HID lamps with energy saving CFLs in postops in Israel  (Read 2072 times)
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Replacing HID lamps with energy saving CFLs in postops in Israel « on: January 12, 2012, 02:52:26 PM » Author: dor123
In recent years, there is a trend to replace HID lamps (Mercury Vapor lamps and High Pressure Sodium lamps) in posttop lanterns with energy saving CFLs in Israel, as a result of a zero knowledge in the professional lighting field in Israel. This despite that MV and HPS lamps are both more efficient than energy saving CFLs, and produces more light.
I saw numerous locations in Israel, where MV lamps in globe lanterns, were replaced by generic helical CFLs. In Nesher, this is more severe: They started a stupid project to replace all of the 70W internal ignitor HPS lamps in their posttops to energy saving CFLs. They have even several Philips Triangels that fitted with generic helical CFLs near Tel-Hanan center.
I fears that a day will be reach, and even floodlights and streetlights will be converted to CFLs (Indeed, i saw several CFL wallpacks and floodlights already).
I think that in the lighting field, Israel is within a third world country.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

LowPressureSodiumSOX
Re: Replacing HID lamps with energy saving CFLs in postops in Israel « Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 11:04:49 PM » Author: LowPressureSodiumSOX
This type of 'energy saving retrofit' is pointless. They haven't even done the calculations of lm/w and is just propaganda for the cfl industry to help them get a better profit. HPS is way better than CFL, and MV can also be better as long as the arc tube doesn't blacken quickly. Electronic ballasts can also be used (as for case in the US and Canada). If electronic isn't good of quality enough, then one can use full-cutoff fixtures or better lamp designs. And, why not use SOX Low Pressure Sodium Lights?  :mv: :hps:
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Replacing HID lamps with energy saving CFLs in postops in Israel « Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 12:47:57 AM » Author: dor123
LPS lamp aren't in use in Israel anymore, except only in two locations: Hadera's coal power plant as airplane obstruction lights, and in the underground parking lot of Panorama center in Haifa, in wallpacks.
Ash said me that regarding to the posttop lanterns in Nesher, they have probably 100W HPS lamps and each posttop have several lanterns on it, not only one, and combined with the 150-250W road lanterns, the area got overilluminated, turning the posttops as for decoration only. So rather than to turn off the entrie posttops or several lanterns from them, they decided to considerably reduce the light output of them, to save energy and still to retain their beauty, and the cheapest solution, is the CFLs.
And the warm white color is also only because of this reason.
The most suitable color for roadlight is bluish white, as in the road, the vision of the drivers, should be a nightvision, and in such vision, the eye see blue light better than red, so for HPS and LPS to be efficient and the visibility to be good, the light intensity should be very high, resulting in a daylight vision of the drivers and dangerous in case of moving from illuminated to dark road. Also this is the reason for the lighting pollution.
IF MV or daylight MH lamps are used for roadlighting, it would be possible to get a good visibility with a much lower lighting level.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

Lightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Replacing HID lamps with energy saving CFLs in postops in Israel « Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 07:12:48 PM » Author: Lightguy
Its a Dud.They are all good. :a_fluor: lamps are good because they save energy. :mv: AND :hps: lamps are good to because they are brighter than  :a_fluor: lights.Anyways, :mv: and  :hps: bulbs should stay on posttops in isarel.

N.A. ;)

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Replacing HID lamps with energy saving CFLs in postops in Israel « Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 06:33:01 AM » Author: dor123
CFLs don't realises the real efficiency and economy of fluorescent lamps.
70W is the lowest wattage of HPS lamp available in Israel. So if Nesher wants to reduce the light output of them, instead of turning all or part of them off (They will be just monuments and ugly then), without replacing their ballast for 50W MV, or to install an ignitor for 70W E27 MH lamps, CFLs are the only option. Replacing to 80W or 125W MV, will increase their power consumption for free, even if the overall lumens is reduced.
These postops are now for decoration only, as their area is already lit by the roadlights. This is also the reason why Nesher choosed 2700K CFLs.
However this is the only exception for a good replacing of HID lamps to CFLs, as this reduces overlighting and light pollution, for fixtures that are now for decoration only.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Replacing HID lamps with energy saving CFLs in postops in Israel « Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 12:39:09 PM » Author: Ash
Exccept, they could cut down on the lamps in the Koffers / whatever lights the road instead, and convert the entire system (the globes AND the Koffers) to 80W merc or 70W MH. This would get rid of the yellow HPS light on the road itself AND use good and efficient lamps in all fixtures, addiotionally to cutting down power use way more than it is now
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies