Author Topic: would LEDs make the incandescent ban reasonable? opinions please!  (Read 14503 times)
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: would LEDs make the incandescent ban reasonable? opinions please! « Reply #15 on: June 19, 2013, 05:45:27 AM » Author: dor123
LinearSLI/H: Power shower = A shower splash that connected a high pressure water pump, rather to the domestic water infrastructure? Isn't used in Israel whatever (At least at homes).
Dryers: My mother indeed think that they are a useless inventions, and after washing by her Crystal Lady 409 top loading horizontal drum washing machine, she simply hangs the laundry on clotheslines that located on her balcony.
My father haevn't a balcony or a room for clotheslines, so he uses a dryer, despite there is a laundry room between entrances 11 and 13 of the residential building that he lives.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: would LEDs make the incandescent ban reasonable? opinions please! « Reply #16 on: June 19, 2013, 07:04:54 AM » Author: AngryHorse
I may have confused the topic abit there :), I ment to say an instant electic shower, (thats fed from a single circit with either 6mm or 10mm cable).
My instant shower is a 8.5KW and is the largest consumer of the electric in our house, (with 4 of us using it daily).

Our dryer, (the second largest consumer at 2550watts), is also used alot, thanks to out poor UK weather!, then there is the heater in the washing machine and the 3KW immersion heater, (I have disconnected this now though, as its no longer needed for the gas CH).

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: would LEDs make the incandescent ban reasonable? opinions please! « Reply #17 on: June 19, 2013, 09:47:30 AM » Author: dor123
With "Instant electic shower", you means "Instant water heater" (Hebrew: מחמם מים מיידי) ? As above, instant water heaters are almost not used in Israel at homes, they are used only at barber shops (Where heated water is required all the times). There are also ones that operates with butane and not with resistance heaters.
Sorry, I don't understand these pharses well.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 09:49:09 AM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: would LEDs make the incandescent ban reasonable? opinions please! « Reply #18 on: June 19, 2013, 10:03:59 AM » Author: Ash
Power showers actually save electricity FYI

And indeed picking on lighting is tupid, even more so considering that lighting is used at noght and the peak usage (which is what the power co complains about) happens during the day

So first thing is - solar panels. 1 square meter of solar panel produces on the order of 100W of clean electricity (1 square foot ~10 W). Calculate how much electricity can 1 roof produce

And thats besides that the panels laying on the roof absorb the sun;s energy before it hit the actual roof, so reduce a bit the heat in the attic too and unltimately reducing load on the A/C as secondary effect

Next, A/C itself. Promote good isolation materials and coatings for building owners and landlords, so they install better isolation and cut down on A/C loads more

And if i'd want to attack something else i'd go on air traffic. Planes use huge amounts of fuel. I'd see how much the timetables of flights can be cut down. Using bigger planes where applicable so there is 1 flight instead of 2-3, and drop redundant direct flights "from any location to any location" by making pepole make use of connected flights - drop some of the direct flights, and give the "connected flights" at discount price so the users dont go upset that they have to pay more (as much as financially posible)

And finally, producion of animal sourced food. I dont see where regulatoin can affect much, but i personally wish more people were vegan and vegetarian. Animal treatment in the industry put aside, animal based food needs loads of energy and resources to produce (growing all the vegan food for the animal to eat every day, as well as sustaining the animal itself, as well as sustaining the animal itself) compared to vegan food of the same nutrient value being produced directly for the people to eat. Yea plants grow in fields but it takes tractors to seed and harvest them, trucks to transport them as well as transport all te waste from the industry, and so on
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: would LEDs make the incandescent ban reasonable? opinions please! « Reply #19 on: June 20, 2013, 01:39:02 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Planes are a good point, I read somewhere, (rather alarmingly), that the arverage jet engine uses something like 2 gallons of fuel a minute, (just on tick over standing on the taxiways)!!!

As for A/C, we have it at work, but A/C in the average UK home is very rare, when we get really hot days here, it never lasts! ;D, and we seem to just muddle through it.

Cars are a BIG problem here now, there are far too many, when I grew up in the 70s, you could go out on a Sunday morning, and you would see nobody driving around, the roads were so quiet.

Today you can go out on a Sunday morning and its like Monday rush hour! >:(, the typical UK family now has 3 cars, this was unheard of in the 70s!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 01:43:32 AM by LinearSLI/H » Logged

Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: would LEDs make the incandescent ban reasonable? opinions please! « Reply #20 on: June 20, 2013, 01:29:49 PM » Author: Ash
Do work places in UK have bus service contracts ? Here some (bigger) companies use bus contractors to pick up the workers from home in the morning and get them back home in the evening, so 1 bus replaces on the order of 40 private cars. The bus route is planned to go as much as possible though worker's homes in the area so they really have nothing to do but wait for the bus in front of their home
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: would LEDs make the incandescent ban reasonable? opinions please! « Reply #21 on: June 20, 2013, 06:07:14 PM » Author: AngryHorse
No :-[, most companys just encourage people to `car pool`!
Most work in the UK is done in shifts, i.e, 6am/2pm, 2pm/10pm, however UK bus servises don`t even start at 6am!
I hate driving and other than going back an fourth to work, I try to do as little as possable, if we had a bus service at 6am I wouldn`t need to drive! ;D

Welcome to OBLIVION

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: would LEDs make the incandescent ban reasonable? opinions please! « Reply #22 on: June 21, 2013, 02:27:07 AM » Author: dor123
LinearSLI/H: In Israel, many works also done in shifts as well.
For example, in Carmel hospital, internal medicine wards have three shifts: Morning 7:00am to 3:30pm. Evening: 3:30pm to 11:00pm. Night: 11:00pm to 7:00am.
In my hostel, tenants have also threee shift: Morning: 8:00am to 14:00pm. Noon: 14:00pm to 20:00pm. Night: 20:00 to 8:00am.
Carmel hospital have its own transportation services with vans of 8 passangers + a driver, but also have bus service contacts, with a bus of Eron Tours company which passes Kerayot, but I don't goes with it to Carmel hospital. I goes with the minibus (Which was a horrible van in the past) of the nurses, which belongs to Adrat Ronen company.

School transportation in Israel: Most elementary school pupils in cities, are walks, rides, or their parents carry them to their schools, or uses a private bus, mimibus, van or taxi service, but in the opposite direction, the third method of the parents sometimes being replaced by public transportation.
Pupils of intermediate and high school uses public transportation almost exlusively despite sometimes rarely, privat bus services are used as well.

They only places in Israel, that in all related to pupil and student transportation to school, really follows the rules of the american "Yellow school bus", are the regional councils (Where the kibbutzim, villages and other types of settlements in Israel located), where all of their buses are yellow coloured (Although they haven't some unusual appearance compared to other touring, private bus service and intercity public transportation buses that are made in Israel), used only for student transportations to and from the schools and school tourings, have seat belts for students, are owned by the regional councils, etc...).

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: would LEDs make the incandescent ban reasonable? opinions please! « Reply #23 on: June 21, 2013, 02:33:46 AM » Author: Ash
The workplace is hiring a private bus service company, not the public service bus. So they are in total command on the time and path for each bus, they can have them anytime they want 24 hours and they match them to the time of shifts and locations of homes of workers. This company is workng in shifts as well, so its like this : The bus going through town collecting workers for the next shift, gets them to the company, waits few minutes there for the previous shift workers to come out and takes them home (each time according to a map of the locations of the worker's homes in this shift, which are given to the driver by the company management)
Steele1992

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: would LEDs make the incandescent ban reasonable? opinions please! « Reply #24 on: June 29, 2013, 10:31:53 AM » Author: Steele1992
For me, if I accidentally break a bulb when it is on or off, I don't want to have to call in a HAZMAT team to clean up the mercury gas. And make 60W LED's cheaper than $50 for a single bulb and I might consider.

Until then, I will always and forever buy incandescent bulbs for $1.29 per 4-pack.

I collect exit signs, preferably vintage ones.

I also have a little bit of a thing for light bulbs, too. Of course, hoarding them due to the incandescent bulb ban.

(Signature last updated October 27, 2011)

ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: would LEDs make the incandescent ban reasonable? opinions please! « Reply #25 on: June 30, 2013, 12:39:32 AM » Author: ace100w120v
Personally I don't worry about the broken-fluorescent-mercury thing...I have broken (accidentally of course) tons of CFLs (and lamps up to 4') and just fired up the Shop-vac and/or thrown the mess in the trash.  However I do try to recycle intact EOL lamps...
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: would LEDs make the incandescent ban reasonable? opinions please! « Reply #26 on: June 30, 2013, 02:12:50 AM » Author: Ash
The story wih the hazmat team rolling around the inet is example of extreme overreaction. Just throw it all in the lamp recycle and open window to blow everything out

To collect the phosphor and small glass parts use a wet paper towel. The mercury is in the phosphor if you break a cold lamp. If the lamp was working when it broke then all the mercury is likely in the air - vent it out. Still clean it for the glass and phosphor, Vacuuming it is bad idea the stream of air increases the evaporation of the mercury so you end up with more mercury in the air, as well as vacuum cleaner tht will keep emitting mercury every time you use it (not dangerous amounts but still better if it would not)
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: would LEDs make the incandescent ban reasonable? opinions please! « Reply #27 on: June 30, 2013, 04:05:25 AM » Author: AngryHorse
For me, if I accidentally break a bulb when it is on or off, I don't want to have to call in a HAZMAT team to clean up the mercury gas. And make 60W LED's cheaper than $50 for a single bulb and I might consider.

Until then, I will always and forever buy incandescent bulbs for $1.29 per 4-pack.
:o Is that what you guy are still having to pay?, we can get top quality Philips and Osram made, 60watt retrofit LED lamps in the UK now for £15, $22.82 in your money.
p.s, your avatar is awsome SerberHusky :D it always makes me smile!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 04:08:04 AM by LinearSLI/H » Logged

Welcome to OBLIVION

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: would LEDs make the incandescent ban reasonable? opinions please! « Reply #28 on: June 30, 2013, 04:38:15 AM » Author: Silverliner
some led experts say leds will eventually cost the same as an incandescent lamp! i find it hard to imagine how they could sell long lived lamps at that price without going out of biz...

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: would LEDs make the incandescent ban reasonable? opinions please! « Reply #29 on: June 30, 2013, 05:44:34 AM » Author: Ash
The theory says that LEDs will become more efficient so allow lower power LED (so smaller heatsink/driver) to be used for application

Where this fails is. that the best theoretical LED have about 3x the efficiency of a present day triphosphor tube (or a present day LED, which spectrum is horrendous compared to said tube). Thats means that even the final LED will still have quite a bit to dissipate. As such.... No, there will have to be a lot of corner cutting to get to that point. both in quality and i think in spectrum quality too
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies