Author Topic: Off-Topic Pictures  (Read 28775 times)
Patrick
Webmaster

View Gallery

LightingGallery
Off-Topic Pictures « on: February 25, 2014, 09:03:55 PM » Author: Patrick
Lately there has been a rise in the number of non-lighting images being uploaded to the gallery.  Please keep in mind that this is Lighting-Gallery.net and not Kitten-Gallery.net.  The cats are cute, but they're beginning to take over the home page.  Most come here to see lamps & fixtures, and we're starting to receive a few complaints.  Occasionally you might wish to share a non-lighting photo or talk about other interests with each other, and we now have an off topic board where you may do just that.  The board supports photo attachments as long as you compress the images to 512KB or less with a photo editor before uploading.

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

funkybulb

View Gallery

Re: Off-Topic Pictures « Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 10:09:37 PM » Author: funkybulb
Patrick i think that the best solution to the problem in the forum. I wonder if those off topic photos cant toggled
On/off in the gallery. On viewer wishes?

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

marcopete87

View Gallery

Re: Off-Topic Pictures « Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 04:54:43 PM » Author: marcopete87
are you sure they aren't lighting related?

however, some general discussion sections can be helpful.
edit: i see now there is an off topic section.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 02:39:57 AM by marcopete87 » Logged
Foxtronix

View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: Off-Topic Pictures « Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 09:16:34 PM » Author: Foxtronix
Cats are taking over the entire internet, heh...

That picture is epic xD

DetroitTwoStroke

View Gallery

Luke

Re: Off-Topic Pictures « Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 12:10:54 AM » Author: DetroitTwoStroke
Low beam / High beam cat eyes - I love it! Grin

Pride and quality workmanship should lie behind manufacturing, not greed.

dor123

View Gallery
Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Off-Topic Pictures « Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 02:28:12 AM » Author: dor123
Patrik found that many members here, began uploading completely off-topic pictures (For example the pictures of the members cats). This activity can lower the level of the website as a lighting website.
As soon as I discovered that I uploading too much videos about my hostel, my father and my mother washers and dryers, I trying to keep the off-topic stuff uploading, as low as possible, and you can indeed see that my Off-Topic Pictures and Off-Topic Videos galleries, aren't updated in the current time.
Most of my slightly off-topic pictures, are mainly parts of complete uploading of lighting pictures from my vacations and trips, such as my last one from Canaan Spa hotel.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the European date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 230-240V, 50hz country.

themaritimegirl

View Gallery

Florence

themaritimegirl themaritimegirl themaritimegirl
Re: Off-Topic Pictures « Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 05:32:27 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
Thank you Patrick. I've mentioned this in various places in a beat-around-the-bush fashion with the hopes of people getting the hint, but it seems that's not happening.

What I don't get is, why is nobody taking advantage of the off-topic forum? I and other members pitched to get that forum, and now that it's there, I'm literally the only person who has made any use of it. As was discussed (and demonstrated) up above, you guys can upload pictures in forum posts. That would be an excellent place for your cats! And really, it should be the only place.

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, and I hope nobody takes my saying this as such. I love cats as much as anybody. But it kind of rustles my jimmies when we finally get an off-topic forum, and everybody still opts to flood the gallery with off-topic stuff.

Funkybulb: That would require the uploaders of said photos to mark them as off-topic. And you can probably guess how well that would work. Such a concept would be overcomplicated to implement, anyway.

Trent
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 05:57:11 PM by TheMaritimeMan » Logged

Electrical Engineering Graduate
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

rjluna2

View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Off-Topic Pictures « Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 10:45:47 AM » Author: rjluna2
are you sure they aren't lighting related?

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

TL8W

View Gallery

Lee

None
Re: Off-Topic Pictures « Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 12:02:53 PM » Author: TL8W
I have another suggestion for off-topic photos that would work something like this: 1) user sets up private off-topic album. 2) User invites only interested parties to view it, therefore the remainder of LG members would see only topical picture updates in the homepage. Worth a try...

We do not have to agree on anything to be kind to one another. The ability to be civil is available to everyone on earth, for free.

kai

View Gallery

Re: Off-Topic Pictures « Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 04:30:03 PM » Author: kai
The cats are cute, but they're beginning to take over the home page.

I would like to note that tonight this point has indeed been reached, with a combination of new uploads and comments to earlier ones. Things really could slip out of control here I fear.

(In this straight, short wording due to the lateness of the hour.)
themaritimegirl

View Gallery

Florence

themaritimegirl themaritimegirl themaritimegirl
Re: Off-Topic Pictures « Reply #10 on: May 26, 2014, 05:18:43 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
Yeah, I itch to refer the posters of said pictures to the off-topic forum, but I refrain.  Roll Eyes It wouldn't be cool to play admin.  Tongue

Electrical Engineering Graduate
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

don93s

View Gallery

Re: Off-Topic Pictures « Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 10:38:03 AM » Author: don93s
I like cats too but I agree that it can get carried away. In the past, most feline appearances were either photo bombs or posing next to the lighting related subject matter at hand. That's how I approach it at least. The primary topic for the upload is lighting but an occasional comment or compliment of a pet in the background seems ok to me.
FrontSideBus

View Gallery

Re: Off-Topic Pictures « Reply #12 on: May 31, 2014, 03:12:06 AM » Author: FrontSideBus
At least cats are nice to look at compared with a (...) shaver battery!

UK out of the EU!
http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/index.php?cat=11271

Patrick
Webmaster

View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: Off-Topic Pictures « Reply #13 on: June 01, 2014, 07:06:35 PM » Author: Patrick
Our current policy is basically nothing non-lighting, but we haven't been enforcing it.  That is something we can change, but whatever we decide, it needs to be clear-cut.  It can't be lighting or pets but no batteries.  I'm not going to maintain a list of all of the acceptable non-lighting categories or try to judge how interesting or cute a particular picture is.

Provide your comments here.

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

Mercury Man

View Gallery

Re: Off-Topic Pictures « Reply #14 on: June 02, 2014, 09:44:53 PM » Author: Mercury Man
The bottom line is that "if it lights up", it's acceptable.  That has been the rule since Day One. 
Print 
© 2005-2019 Lighting-Gallery.net | Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines