Author Topic: Fluorescent likes and dislikes  (Read 5907 times)
nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: Fluorescent likes and dislikes « Reply #15 on: November 03, 2014, 08:24:43 PM » Author: nicksfans
I think both T8 and T12 have their place. I hugely prefer magnetic T12 (especially preheat) for use at home and I like seeing it in commercial applications too. However, I think T8 is much more practical for commercial use. I have serviced both T8 electronic and T12 magnetic fixtures in light commercial settings, and I must say that T8 is much less of a pain. I also have little interest in RS and Slimline stuff (ballasts or fixtures) made after the 60s. 70s egg-crate 2x4 troffers with 34-watt halophosphate T12s? No thanks!

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

themaritimegirl themaritimegirl themaritimegirl
Re: Fluorescent likes and dislikes « Reply #16 on: November 03, 2014, 08:35:06 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
Does T5 get no love?  ;D I like T5, but only those that run on either a magnetic or battery-powered ballast. :P
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 08:39:36 PM by TheMaritimeMan » Logged

Electrical Engineering Graduate
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

Re: Fluorescent likes and dislikes « Reply #17 on: November 03, 2014, 08:53:39 PM » Author: nicksfans
HF T5 is good for commercial settings but I really have no interest in it. Magnetic T5 is cool; I have a couple T5 preheat fixtures that I like.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

Larry

View Posts
View Gallery

Rated PG 17

Re: Fluorescent likes and dislikes « Reply #18 on: November 06, 2014, 12:07:52 PM » Author: Larry
I found several NOS Sentry 40 watt air thermal starters from the 1940s on ebay recently and the information on the box said that the thermal starters extend the life of the bulb.

I installed two of them in my 1941 Fleur-o-ray 40 watt Double Paracyl fixture.
This fixture has the original 1941 GE ballast with the starting compensator.
The two new GE 40 watt K&B bulbs started up rather quickly with out any blinking at all.
According to the 1942 GE fluorescent lighting manual, the air thermal starter keeps a small current in the bulb filaments during starting and operation extending the bulb life.
Some of the first GE 40 watt ballasts had the thermal starters in the ballast requiring the ballast to be replaced if the starter failed.
After many complaints about this, the now familiar replaceable twist in starter was designed.
The air thermal starter was used originally by GE early on before the glow bottle starter.

They do work really well, but they do have a down side and may be it is the reason the glow bottle type starters were more popular.
While they do work ok, if you shut the fixture off, and then turn back on, the bulbs won't start again for about 60 seconds or even longer sometimes as the starter has to cool down before resetting itself.
This does not bother me, but for some applications, it could be a problem. ;)

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's GE Power Groove

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: Fluorescent likes and dislikes « Reply #19 on: June 07, 2015, 10:57:48 PM » Author: Solanaceae
I like preheat and mag rapid start.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Lanternbro

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Fluorescent likes and dislikes « Reply #20 on: June 14, 2015, 06:46:47 PM » Author: Lanternbro
Am I the only member in this whole forum who actually likes those 70,000+ hour programmed start T5's?
nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

Re: Fluorescent likes and dislikes « Reply #21 on: June 14, 2015, 06:57:32 PM » Author: nicksfans
I don't really have anything against them, and I'd trust them more than the LED tubes. However, I do prefer T8s to T5s as they make retrofitting a lot easier (better chances of classic fixtures getting saved). Plus, T8s can be had in ultra-long-life versions too. I think the new electronic T8s and T5s are quite practical (moreso than T12s) for general lighting, but as a collector, they don't interest me nearly as much as the old magnetic T12 stuff. When repairing lights out and about, I like to retrofit to T8 if the T12 ballast in a fixture fails, but I greatly prefer magnetic T12 for use at home.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

hannahs lights

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Fluorescent likes and dislikes « Reply #22 on: June 14, 2015, 07:51:09 PM » Author: hannahs lights
I like all preheat fixtures the older the better. There is a place in town that has a 1950s vintage cryselco fitting still going I hope that I'd the owner ever changes it he will let me have it
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: Fluorescent likes and dislikes « Reply #23 on: June 14, 2015, 09:28:57 PM » Author: Solanaceae
I like preheat and magnetic rapid start t5/8/12, but no electronic instant start/ HO t5 garbage.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Fluorescent likes and dislikes « Reply #24 on: July 03, 2015, 02:13:09 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
Thanks to the suggestions from some of the wise ones on here, I am starting to use Programmed Start & Rapid Start T8 ballasts much more often in most applications for retrofitting vs Instant Start.  I only use Instant Start where the lamps will be turned on once a day and for time frames of being on for more than a few hours a day.  Many of the applications I deal with have to do with fixtures that will only be on for short periods of time each day if even each day, save for Sundays when they'll be on for 8+ hours a day, and where they are used with motion detector/heat detection switches for on/off periods.  In which case the programmed start is ideal to save on filament damage.  I am already noticing a difference in lamp life by making such changes. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies