Author Topic: Made In CHINA?  (Read 4380 times)
Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Made In CHINA? « Reply #15 on: March 28, 2017, 02:12:46 PM » Author: Roi_hartmann
I've never heard cfl fires here either. Today they told in the radio about recent study which showd that majority of house fires are started by either dishwasher, washing machine or refrigerator/freezer. The study had also suggested that households here are poorly prepared to put out the fire, like there usually is no fire extinguisher in private houses.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Made In CHINA? « Reply #16 on: March 28, 2017, 06:16:16 PM » Author: Lodge
I've never seen one with my own eyes catch on fire, or one after the fire, sure there are internet video to show it, but are they modified, are they using standard breakers so many things can be changed to make one catch on fire, yet they seem to be right there with there phone in hand to film it like they knew it was just going to ignite just saying something might be staged, so a few lessons to be learned like Roi_hartmann said, most homes don't have a fire extinguisher, they are great things to have when you need one, so if you don't have one consider getting one or two and make sure they are rated for electrical fires, you don't really want to use a water type unit on electrical ..

Also considering they make millions of lamps a year they are doing pretty good because you don't see many failures, or mass product recalls  for fires most are unauthorized use of the UL label without getting permission... And smoking is the number one cause of fire deaths,  cooking equipment is the number one cause of house fires and heaters are number two...       
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Made In CHINA? « Reply #17 on: March 28, 2017, 07:06:55 PM » Author: Ash
Except one that exploded at my friend's place (massive arcing blew the ballast enclosure apart), but it still exploded without fire
takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Made In CHINA? « Reply #18 on: March 31, 2017, 03:00:50 PM » Author: takemorepills
I'd like to add a slightly different take on things that people don't always think about.

I have worked in manufacturing industries for years. I used to live in China. To manufacture modern stuff, and many "GREEN" items takes intensive manufacturing capabilities. To be "GREEN" seems to mean "lets make it complex as fxxk and manufacture it in a country that doesn't have environmental controls". Not only are "GREEN" products manufactured dirty (generally), but they have end-of-life concerns also. Not only do they frequently die early, they are alos obsoleted often whilst still functioning and need to be disposed of in some way, which may also be resource intensive. A glass bulb with a wire filament is harmless when spent and likely has very little impact on environment to manufacture.

I use the trend of Liberals who always drive the newest Prius models.These people tout their "GREEN" sensibilities, but often trade out their car every 3 years. Manufacturing a Prius is like dry-raping the Earth. Lots of rare Earth elements needed, and those batteries....they are not cheap nor clean to manufacture and dispose of. It MIGHT be OK in the life-cycle of the Prius if the owner kept the car until the car was totally used up, but they keep trading them in for a newer one, and hence more must be made. I have always said a Toyota Yaris kept for 15-20 years (totally reasonable lifespan for that car) is WAY GREENER for the Earth than a new Prius every 3-5 years. Hell, a Yaris is probably greener than a Prius on any given day!
But such is our consumeristic tendencies, we need to keep buying sh1t, and hell if it can be labeled "GREEN" then let us buy more!

Another sad thing about things not made in USA is that our country looses manufacturing might. Our most certain adversary in the next 50 years will be either China or a Chinese-backed N. Korea conflict. Whoever has all the factories wins the war. And we have HANDED OVER our factories for decades. Not only do we no longer have the absolute best ability to produce "stuff", but we won't be able to effectively run a war machine if it came down to it.
Another issue is our society has become lazy and entitled. So, even if we brought back (Trump?) made in USA, who the hell is gonna work in the factories? People prefer to make Lattes and run up minimum wage to $15/hr than actually do REAL WORK.
Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Made In CHINA? « Reply #19 on: March 31, 2017, 03:51:08 PM » Author: Roi_hartmann

Another issue is our society has become lazy and entitled. So, even if we brought back (Trump?) made in USA, who the (...) is gonna work in the factories? People prefer to make Lattes and run up minimum wage to $15/hr than actually do REAL WORK.

If they do bring back some manufacturing I think those new factories will be automated as high as possible. So I think the employment effect would not even be that great.

Also, supply and demand is very effective rule. If there is demand for USA made products there is also gonna be someone manufacturing those. It all comes down to that do people want to pay a higher price from a product because its made in certain country. And this does not only concern private individuals but also businesses doing investments.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Made In CHINA? « Reply #20 on: March 31, 2017, 05:13:32 PM » Author: Ash
I'd rather have automated machines manufacturing stuff in my country, than machines OR people manufacturing them abroad. If we supply our own goods then we keep capability and resources within the country, and will benefit from it, whether by somebody having a job, or by having cheaper goods without spending our money abroad

As for products made in certain country - At least here, for many products there really is absolute correlation between country of origin and product quality. For example, small electrical components made in the EU are by far superior to anything imported from anywhere else (since the demise of our own manufacturing !). I am more than willing to spend double the price for a switch made in Italy that will last a lifetime, vs on a switch made somewhere in "this continent" which will break during installation if i apply a bit too much force
randacnam7321

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Made In CHINA? « Reply #21 on: April 30, 2017, 08:33:36 PM » Author: randacnam7321
Having at least some domestic manufacturing capacity is important from a national security/infrastructure continuity standpoint as otherwise things that are only made abroad become unobtanium when (not if) the supply line gets cut.

Old school FTW!

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Made In CHINA? « Reply #22 on: May 01, 2017, 12:49:27 AM » Author: tolivac
I am a conservative guy and own a Toyota 2016 Highlander Hybrid-plan on keeping this car for a long time.The traction batteries of Toyota hybrid cars are designed to last the life of the car.The battery management circuitry in the car allows this.The batteries are made by Panasonics battery division.I would so like to see more how the invertor-convertor box works in these cars-that big box with the orange HV cables going in adn out of it under the hood beside the engine.The traction motor adn AC compressor is under the engine.The AC compressor runs from the invertor.It is not a BD from the engine as in other cars.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies