Author Topic: 400 watt metal halide uplight  (Read 7748 times)
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: 400 watt metal halide uplight « Reply #15 on: June 02, 2015, 10:51:33 AM » Author: Solanaceae
I think that the metal case should conduct enough heat to keep the ballast cool.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 400 watt metal halide uplight « Reply #16 on: June 02, 2015, 03:10:52 PM » Author: sol
Oh, I don't worry about the housing and the reflector. I just don't want to overheat the glass.
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 400 watt metal halide uplight « Reply #17 on: June 02, 2015, 03:34:00 PM » Author: Solanaceae
If the thing is facing downwards the heat will rise away from the glass.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 400 watt metal halide uplight « Reply #18 on: June 02, 2015, 07:59:50 PM » Author: sol
Well if I use it upside down it won't...
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 400 watt metal halide uplight « Reply #19 on: June 02, 2015, 09:47:55 PM » Author: Solanaceae
Do the glass panels have any etching about the thermal rating? I'd think the glass would be fine. How thick is it.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

BlueHalide

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 400 watt metal halide uplight « Reply #20 on: June 02, 2015, 09:51:46 PM » Author: BlueHalide
The glass lens must be tempered to handle the heat, even when the fixtures are mounted normally (base up). So, inverting the fixture and about doubling the heat on the glass should be no problem. Tempered glass can withstand a 1500w MH in a sports flood, so you should be fine
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 400 watt metal halide uplight « Reply #21 on: June 02, 2015, 09:56:22 PM » Author: sol
@Solanaceae : I don't know how thick the glass is but it is factory installed in the reflector. I'll see if I can determine that the next time I visit the salvage yard.

@BlueHalide : That is what I thought, but I want to be sure before trying anything.
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 400 watt metal halide uplight « Reply #22 on: June 02, 2015, 11:03:23 PM » Author: Solanaceae
Next time you go to the yard try to make out any model numbers on the fixtures. Look them up and you may be able to look the glass up with the fixture data that you find. Then you can determine whether it's safe to mount them like that.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 400 watt metal halide uplight « Reply #23 on: June 03, 2015, 01:33:03 AM » Author: tolivac
My Widelight 450W PS MH High bay lights have a glass lens on them-have run them "upside down" now for few years without problems.The glass really doesn't get that hot.The fixure rating says it will handle up to a 1000W lamp.I would think if I was using a 1Kw MH bulb-the lens would get possibly too hot.At the surplus sale where I bought the lights they did have some 1Kw ones.Didn't buy any of those-probably should have bought one.Sometimes these lights show up in sales listed in the local want ad magazine-contractors selling older lights they replaced.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 400 watt metal halide uplight « Reply #24 on: June 03, 2015, 03:08:35 AM » Author: Ash
How about any gaskets around the edge of the glass ?
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 400 watt metal halide uplight « Reply #25 on: June 03, 2015, 05:26:48 AM » Author: sol
The glass is set in a bead of caulking and also has metal tabs that hold it there. It was made that way at the factory. I'll have a better look next time I'm there.

Since these would be used up side down, would it be best to use a different lamp than a standard universal burn M59 ? That's what's in there now.
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 400 watt metal halide uplight « Reply #26 on: June 03, 2015, 12:17:40 PM » Author: Solanaceae
I think it'd be fine, just relamp it before putting it to use.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 400 watt metal halide uplight « Reply #27 on: June 03, 2015, 03:16:33 PM » Author: sol
Would a standard M59 universal position lamp be fine or should I find a specific type ?
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 400 watt metal halide uplight « Reply #28 on: June 03, 2015, 04:10:58 PM » Author: Solanaceae
I don't know. I don't know the quality of MH lamps between manufacturers, so Just go with your gut.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 400 watt metal halide uplight « Reply #29 on: June 03, 2015, 04:28:57 PM » Author: Ash
Universal is universsal no ? Whats the problem ?
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies