Author Topic: Safely Looking At Bright Lights  (Read 5941 times)
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Safely Looking At Bright Lights « Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 08:32:51 PM » Author: CEB1993
I only have experience with halogen and incandescent lights so UV radiation isn't much of an issue for me.  I have a pair of Costa 580 sunglasses designed to reduce glare off of open water that work perfectly for looking directly at bright bulbs and observing the filament and/or halogen capsule without squinting  8)

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Safely Looking At Bright Lights « Reply #16 on: July 21, 2017, 05:09:14 AM » Author: Ash
Squinting (fast reaction) and pupil size (slow reaction) are ways for the eye to limit the incomiing light. The reaction is to visible light only, but the result is eually affecting all the input, including visible and UV

If your glasses reduce visible light more than they reduce UV (many glasses do !), then in the end you get more UV with the glasses vs without..
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Safely Looking At Bright Lights « Reply #17 on: July 29, 2017, 03:32:36 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
i have transitions sunglasses and i squint, i dont have much else, honestly i just try to avoid staring at the lamps directly and if i do end up staring at a lamp (like a moth sorta lmao), i usually temporarily go blind for about an hour but then my vision comes back seemingly slightly better than before, then it levels out back to normal

i also might correct myself there.... its not like POOF visions gone, it just gets really really dim and hard to see

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Safely Looking At Bright Lights « Reply #18 on: August 03, 2017, 03:55:39 PM » Author: CEB1993
i have transitions sunglasses and i squint, i dont have much else, honestly i just try to avoid staring at the lamps directly and if i do end up staring at a lamp (like a moth sorta lmao), i usually temporarily go blind for about an hour but then my vision comes back seemingly slightly better than before, then it levels out back to normal

i also might correct myself there.... its not like POOF visions gone, it just gets really really dim and hard to see

My vision gets really dim for a short time too after looking at a bright light for too long.  When I close my eyes, I can see the shape of the illuminated object.  Since I wear contacts that cause extra reflection in my eyes, I am extra careful with bright lights, especially the sun.  I have blue eyes, which let more light in than brown eyes, and thus are mort sensitive to bright conditions.  I use high performance Costa 580 sunglasses. 

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Safely Looking At Bright Lights « Reply #19 on: August 06, 2017, 05:55:07 PM » Author: Lodge
welding shields in shade 12 or higher they are also suitable for viewing the sun/eclipse, or use a smart phone camera and view the screen, I have a camera with lots of laser damage but my eyes are fine or if you don't have proper protection, a CD will reflect a large chunk of the light but don't use this for eclipse viewing you will do eye damage and since you can't just stop and buy a new set of eyeballs you better protect the set you have got, don't look at the light .. 
tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Safely Looking At Bright Lights « Reply #20 on: August 07, 2017, 12:40:04 AM » Author: tolivac
If I were to use a phone camera to view eclipse-would use an OLD phone you don't care about.Prolonged exposure of the camera to sunlight WILL burn the sensors-Like a bug under the magnifying glass!Astronomy and science suppliers sell attachments for telescopes that allow the sun image to be projected onto a screen-this works well esp if you have a telescope-but of course don't try to view the image directly thru the scope-you will become blind!
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Safely Looking At Bright Lights « Reply #21 on: August 07, 2017, 07:21:26 AM » Author: Ash
You can project a bright thing enlarged onto the wall in a dark room, with nothing but a sheet with hole. I thnk this can work well for viewing an eclipse (+ mirror outside to reflect the Sun towards the window where the sheet with hole is installed)

Big cardboard panel with a small sheet insert cut from a beer can. with the hole in it, would work well

For brigher image you could use a magnifier lens, but then you have to either use a setup of 2 lenses, or be able to change the distance between it and the screen to focus the image. (with the hole the image focus depends only on the size of the hole)
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Safely Looking At Bright Lights « Reply #22 on: August 30, 2017, 04:14:49 PM » Author: Rommie
I tend to use some very dark sunglasses, works ok as long as I don't look for too long in one go. :mv:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: Safely Looking At Bright Lights « Reply #23 on: September 03, 2017, 08:27:27 AM » Author: Mercurylamps
Yep dark sunglasses are a good idea, preferably polarized.
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Safely Looking At Bright Lights « Reply #24 on: October 19, 2017, 01:49:25 PM » Author: CEB1993
I wear my polarized Costa sunglasses when I look at my high performance halogen bulbs.  Here I am with my Philips 1000 watt IODE lamp, running 120 volts.  Even at 120 volts, this 230 volt lamp is brilliantly bright and extremely hot.

I have noticed that many T3 halogen work lamps have a glass shield that both filters out UV rays and contains the bulb fragments if it explodes.  I just got a Bayco work lamp that is rated to filter out UV rays from my T3 halogen bulbs.

Stop the lamp bans!

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Safely Looking At Bright Lights « Reply #25 on: October 20, 2017, 07:58:02 PM » Author: Lodge
Ok it really depends on the light, my friend fired up a 7 kw Xenon short arc and the #12 welding shield is not dark enough for the lamp only a few feet away with a very nice reflector behind it so it forms a very tight beam, you really need a #13 welding shield, or better just don't look at it, and with lights like this you need the full face helmet to go with the shield and a dark shirt so it doesn't reflect to much light behind the helmet...   
tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Safely Looking At Bright Lights « Reply #26 on: October 21, 2017, 02:54:37 AM » Author: tolivac
Is the 7Kw Xenon light in a projector?The lamp MUST be in an enclosed lamphouse-if this should "let go" as the Xenons sometimes do-you don't want to be in the line of fire.It can KILL you!!!Like a hand grenade!
Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Safely Looking At Bright Lights « Reply #27 on: October 21, 2017, 01:31:57 PM » Author: Lodge
Is the 7Kw Xenon light in a projector?The lamp MUST be in an enclosed lamphouse-if this should "let go" as the Xenons sometimes do-you don't want to be in the line of fire.It can KILL you!!!Like a hand grenade!

It's in a sky tracker / spot light, that is designed for that size lamp, but you really shouldn't fire them up inside a house, and the welding mask with the carhartt jacket and gloves will protect you from flying debris should anything go wrong.. But being in to lighting it's hard not to look and the #12 is dark but it was still pretty bright ... 
tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Safely Looking At Bright Lights « Reply #28 on: October 22, 2017, 12:52:30 AM » Author: tolivac
GOOD-the Xenon bulb is in an enclosed fixture-a searchlight.What do the neighbors say when you fire it up?
Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Safely Looking At Bright Lights « Reply #29 on: October 22, 2017, 02:05:29 AM » Author: Lodge
They actually know me, so they don't say anything anymore, they just know I'm playing with some light, and they just look for the smoke now and then they call, I guess I could of turned it to point out the window and lit up there place but I don't have the DMX controller and since it's belt driven I don't want to damage the belts by holding it, so I let it do it's cycle up and down, but I don't think I'll be firing one of those up again inside the house, they really are more an outside use light..

I'm one of those neighbors they hate and love at the same time, between the bright lights, welding, and backyard foundry, I guess the invites to the BBQ and diners, free car repairs, and other handy services make up for the minor annoyances... 
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies