Author Topic: Cree recall  (Read 3765 times)
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Cree recall « Reply #15 on: June 21, 2015, 05:07:09 PM » Author: Medved
Regular diode bridges withstand voltages of 1kV peak (the cheapest rectifier diode, 1N4007, is a 1000V device), so I doubt it may have any problems.
 What becomes problematic is the insufficient surface distance combined with contamination, usually flux residues plus humidity tends to leak current, what dissipates heat. And that may start smoldering and the way to destruction becomes laid.

For the reduced power: If you know the ballast characteristics (which is the case for series reactors, so practically all "magnetic" on 230V), you may use higher voltage as well (leaving only small drop for the ballast), in that way reducing the current (24W replacement of F36T8 would have drop of about 220V).
This method has the advantage of reducing the ballast losses as well, but the brightness become rather dependent on the mains voltage (the 220V drop LED would become about the same dependency on the mains voltage as an incandescent).

No more selfballasted c***

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: Cree recall « Reply #16 on: August 07, 2015, 03:09:28 PM » Author: FGS
Here's why they recalled the LED tubes. Weak spring contacts. http://www.designingwithleds.com/cree-voluntarily-recalls-new-led-t8s/

Other than that the led board itself is highly likely it's sound. Stronger springs or a minor redesign on the end area and they fixed that issue.

I'll give Cree points for recalling something voluntarily before anything happened and/or the government ordered them to do that.

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

M250R201SA

View Posts
View Gallery

JGriff021985 JMG717
Re: Cree recall « Reply #17 on: August 08, 2015, 03:54:17 PM » Author: M250R201SA
My worst nightmare has come true.  The town of Carmi, IL is doing a pilot project, and they have replaced about 30 of the current HPS fixtures with GE 201SA LED Retrofits.  They are horribly dim compared to the HPS Counterparts (at least this particular retrofit).  Now, I have seen some LED fixtures that are brighter, but the problem is, the glare is so bad and it hurts my eyes when I drive at night. 
I sure hope Chicago leaves the HPS lights on their main roads for a while.  Chicago ain't Chicago without those Crimefighter GE M250/M400 Luminaires.  All this time, I thought the HPS lamps on the main roads were 1000W HPS, they seemed so bright.

"I know a thing or two about a thing or two...  I sure do."

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies