Author Topic: Cooling options for 100w Super high power LED  (Read 1157 times)
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Cooling options for 100w Super high power LED « on: November 05, 2015, 01:54:08 PM » Author: Lumex120
I have a 100w green LED and ballast. The LED gets hot enough to melt plastic within 2 seconds without cooling. Currently, the only effective way of cooling it I have found is to put an ice cube in a plastic bag and apply it to the back of the chip. The problem is, it can't be like this if I want to use it regularly. I was thinking of immersing it in cool water in a small clear container and having a pumping system pump cold water from a larger bucket in and out from it. I just haven't done it yet, because I am afraid the water might damage the chip in long term use. Would it?

Unofficial LG Discord

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Cooling options for 100w Super high power LED « Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 02:38:30 PM » Author: Ash
Use a PC CPU cooler, along with the PC fan and thermal conductive material. The higher end CPUs disipate on the order of 100W so the coolers made for them gota handle the LED
Kappa7

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Cooling options for 100w Super high power LED « Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 02:45:02 PM » Author: Kappa7
A CPU cooler like this with some thermal paste should be fine. Be careful to not puncture the heat pipes when you make the fixing holes in the heatsink. Even a cheaper version like this should be fine enough. The LEDs support higher temperatures than CPUs.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Cooling options for 100w Super high power LED « Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 03:03:19 PM » Author: Ash
Dont have to use one with heat pipes. Just get a good unit with tall heatsink fins, made for the high end 100..130W TDP cpu's

Kappa7 : But the LED is working all the time at 100W, the CPU only intermittently.. Low end "100W" units are not really capable to continuously cool down 100W (the unit's thermal mass is sufficient to sink 100W*few sec, but the thermal resistance to ambient air is too high to effectively dissipate this energy as fast)
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies