Author Topic: How long have you been collecting lights?  (Read 5508 times)
M250R201SA

View Posts
View Gallery

JGriff021985 JMG717
Re: How long have you been collecting lights? « Reply #15 on: June 05, 2016, 02:25:03 PM » Author: M250R201SA
Since 1993.  I started when a storm blew off the top of an ITT Contempo 245 outside of my house.  At that point, I started collecting photocontrols and bulbs, and in 1997, I received 2 new AEL NEMAs.  I traded those for a brand new 100W Contempo 245 HPS.  Sold that in 2006 for $50.00.  The rest is history.  As of now, I have several fixtures with more on the way.  I collect mostly NOS fixtures, as I do not have the means to restore older ones.  So any older ones I usually give away to other collectors who wish to keep or restore them.  I kept my GE 201SA 250w Merc fixture though.  a rarity for me.

"I know a thing or two about a thing or two...  I sure do."

rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: How long have you been collecting lights? « Reply #16 on: June 07, 2016, 06:59:18 AM » Author: rjluna2
I have been collecting light bulbs since the early 1970s.

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

thelightingman

View Posts
View Gallery
All lighting except LED rules!

Re: How long have you been collecting lights? « Reply #17 on: May 29, 2021, 01:56:38 PM » Author: thelightingman
I started last summer with a 4 lamp 40 watt T12 parabolic troffer with 2 vintage Advance ballasts.

I think HPS, MV, and MH rule! :mv: :mvc: :hps: :emh: Ban LED instead! :eoled:

fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How long have you been collecting lights? « Reply #18 on: May 29, 2021, 01:59:34 PM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
I started collecting lights in June 2016, but I've been interested in lights for quite a while before I started collecting them.
thelightingman

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How long have you been collecting lights? « Reply #19 on: May 29, 2021, 02:02:45 PM » Author: thelightingman
I started collecting lights in June 2016, but I've been interested in lights for quite a while before collecting them.

I have been intrested in them for years before I started collecting and since I started, I cannot stop collecting.

fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How long have you been collecting lights? « Reply #20 on: May 29, 2021, 02:05:57 PM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
I have been intrested in them for years before I started collecting and since I started, I cannot stop collecting.

Same here! I found lots of lights over the years that I wish I had the money for. That applies to even the present time.
thelightingman

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How long have you been collecting lights? « Reply #21 on: May 29, 2021, 02:10:48 PM » Author: thelightingman
Same here! I found lots of lights over the years that I wish I had the money for. That applies to even the present time.

Any time I see a light I want that is under $30, I get it. I missed out on an R175M at the ReStore last summer, I had forgotten to bring my money and I got my money and went back and it was gone. I do not know why, but almost everyone around here loves MV yardblasters. It's suprising because I would think most people are LED brainwashed.

fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How long have you been collecting lights? « Reply #22 on: May 29, 2021, 02:17:36 PM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
That sucks, there have been a few times where that has happened to me as well. One instance of this (without money involved) was a TrueValue had replaced its HPS street lights (GE M-400 last-gen and M-400R2s) with LED shoebox lights and one of the old lights was sitting by one of the entrances, missing its door. I asked my dad if I can ask the people if I can have it and he said no. By the time we went back there to get something, it was gone.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 11:41:31 PM by fluorescent lover 40 » Logged
thelightingman

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How long have you been collecting lights? « Reply #23 on: May 29, 2021, 03:12:40 PM » Author: thelightingman
That sucks, there have been a few times where that has happened to me as well. One instance of this (without money involved) was a TrueValue had replaced its HPS street lights (GE M-400 last-gen and M-400R2s) with LED shoebox lights and one of the old lights was sitting by one of the entrances, missing its door. I asked my dad if I can ask the people if I can and he said no. By the time we went back there to get something, it was gone.

That sucks.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: How long have you been collecting lights? « Reply #24 on: May 29, 2021, 03:17:08 PM » Author: Rommie
I'm sure this has been asked before somewhere, but anyway, on and off since I was about 13-14 or so, which was towards the end of the 60's, so that gives you an idea of how old I am now  :poof:

Other things like work, life and stuff took up most of my time from my late teens until I retired 6 years ago, so lamps went on the back burner so to speak, although I got interested in telephones old and new, and collected them for a while as well.

Since I left work though, lighting has come back with a vengeance and I've been building up the collection quite rapidly since then..! My other half Sammi has also caught lampitis and far from stopping me buying more, actively enourages me  :lol:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: How long have you been collecting lights? « Reply #25 on: May 29, 2021, 11:29:41 PM » Author: Binarix128
I've been collecting since 2017. I'm not really sure which was my first bulb, but I think it was a 60w mini sphere "GE Elegance bulb", then later on in 2017 I got a 60W GE spot, a 52W Chestinghouse halogen bulb, an F18T8 preheat fixture with a blacklight tube, a 160W SBMV; starting my collection that way. Most of my bulbs from 2017 to mid 2018 are gone, only remaining the fixture and tube mentioned earlier, so I could say that I really started in 2019.
Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: How long have you been collecting lights? « Reply #26 on: May 29, 2021, 11:43:49 PM » Author: Bulbman256
for me its since 2012, or about 9 years of my 15 year old skin. I might have had soem bulbs befroe that but my 6th birhtday was a definite as i had gotten my first few lamps. I have about 200-300 lamps and the number goes up pretty much every other week, i am going to count them all out this summer. 8)

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: How long have you been collecting lights? « Reply #27 on: May 30, 2021, 02:15:18 AM » Author: joseph_125
Since around 2007 for incandescent/fluorescent and since 2009 for HID. A year later in 2010, I got my first cobrahead and traffic signal.
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How long have you been collecting lights? « Reply #28 on: May 30, 2021, 03:05:24 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
I've been collecting bulbs since I was around 6 . Got my 1st streetlight when I was around 15 , a Unistyle 250 , 100/175w. I still have it !!!

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: How long have you been collecting lights? « Reply #29 on: May 31, 2021, 02:20:16 AM » Author: Lumex120
I got my first HID lamp (a 275w Westinghouse sunlamp) in January of 2015 so that's generally when I consider as having started collecting. However, I have an old F40T12 preheat strip that used to be installed in the kitchen above the stove in the house I grew up in, it was taken down during repairs in 2010 and was given to me, and I've had it since then. I guess that's when I could say I started collecting. That same year I got a Feit 13w blacklight CFL for Christmas, which I also still have.

Unofficial LG Discord

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies