Author Topic: Why replace Mercury luminaires with Sodium luminaires?  (Read 7049 times)
lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Re: Why replace Mercury luminaires with Sodium luminaires? « Reply #15 on: June 22, 2016, 03:07:04 PM » Author: lights*plus
And the propaganda, misinformation and pure greed will continue when some company needs to exist...second paragraph, oy..

http://lumenistics.com/ceramic-metal-halide-lighting-basics/

I must admit, I have a fondness for CMH lighting, yet at the same time despise the very high cost and associated profiteering.
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Why replace Mercury luminaires with Sodium luminaires? « Reply #16 on: June 23, 2016, 01:25:40 AM » Author: Silverliner
Many utilities appear to have given up on mercs, unfortunately.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

chapman84
Re: Why replace Mercury luminaires with Sodium luminaires? « Reply #17 on: June 25, 2016, 09:34:14 PM » Author: chapman84
And many power companies have even turned their backs on high pressure sodium lighting as well.  :(
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Why replace Mercury luminaires with Sodium luminaires? « Reply #18 on: June 25, 2016, 11:39:50 PM » Author: Lumex120
Many utilities appear to have given up on mercs, unfortunately.

There are a few 400w and 250w mercury vapor cobraheads left here, mostly Silverliners and m400's. I have seen crews relamping them a few weeks ago. They actually seem to have skipped the mercury fixtures while replacing the other HPS lights with SmellED. HPS lights seem to be getting abandoned by the utilities unfortunately. I am seeing more and more HPS lights cycling and out just waiting to get replaced. It is getting quite dark and scary, actually. You can barely see on some of the main roads because of this rubbish.

Unofficial LG Discord

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why replace Mercury luminaires with Sodium luminaires? « Reply #19 on: June 26, 2016, 12:15:40 AM » Author: wattMaster
The utilities here (I'm not revealing what the name is) replaced completely good HPS fixtures with dim, cold white LED streetlights, and they did it overnight!  :o
I really miss HPS, but there are a few left, and the main highways are still HPS. Nobody's stopping me from installing my own streetlight on my lawn, it would bring back some of the classic light.

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Re: Why replace Mercury luminaires with Sodium luminaires? « Reply #20 on: June 26, 2016, 03:32:13 AM » Author: lights*plus
So that's it, collect them, and use them. Sometimes I run nearly 1000 watts of various HIDs in winter and the ballasts keep the grow-room nice & tosty.

So now we need to collect all HPS.. and perhaps in another 20 years we'll start collecting Cree XSP1 and XSP2's
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Why replace Mercury luminaires with Sodium luminaires? « Reply #21 on: June 26, 2016, 08:47:39 AM » Author: Lumex120
So that's it, collect them, and use them. Sometimes I run nearly 1000 watts of various HIDs in winter and the ballasts keep the grow-room nice & tosty.

So now we need to collect all HPS.. and perhaps in another 20 years we'll start collecting Cree XSP1 and XSP2's
If they ever replace the AEL 115 outside my house, I hope to catch the lineman in the act. I would also be able to show them that I have a collection by bringing one of my cobraheads out. That should convince them that I actually am a collector and not some crazy pot grower.  :P

Unofficial LG Discord

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why replace Mercury luminaires with Sodium luminaires? « Reply #22 on: June 26, 2016, 09:05:27 AM » Author: wattMaster
I think LED bulbs are boring, you know what they are, how they work, you can't change that.
But what's not boring is making your own LED lighting, you decide how they work, what LED you use, etc.

veryhighonoutput

View Posts
View Gallery

T12

Re: Why replace Mercury luminaires with Sodium luminaires? « Reply #23 on: June 26, 2016, 10:15:10 PM » Author: veryhighonoutput
Very funny. Job security of course not reality  ::)

T12/ t17 there's a reason they made heavy magnetic ballasts

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why replace Mercury luminaires with Sodium luminaires? « Reply #24 on: June 26, 2016, 10:46:47 PM » Author: wattMaster
I would have thought it would be for energy saving, but it's for keeping jobs. What would robots in the future think? This could be a potential job for any advanced, far future robot.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why replace Mercury luminaires with Sodium luminaires? « Reply #25 on: June 27, 2016, 01:41:45 PM » Author: Ash
Wonder whether there were job security problems back in the properly made Mercury days (when lamps could be group replaced once in 10+ years) ?
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why replace Mercury luminaires with Sodium luminaires? « Reply #26 on: June 27, 2016, 02:06:08 PM » Author: wattMaster
Wonder whether there were job security problems back in the properly made Mercury days (when lamps could be group replaced once in 10+ years) ?
Don't you mean 40 years?

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why replace Mercury luminaires with Sodium luminaires? « Reply #27 on: June 27, 2016, 02:19:01 PM » Author: Ash
40+ years the lamps still work, but the highest light output is in the 1st 10 years or so

If the lighting was chosen on the edge (so not use way more energy then really needed), it mean, that after ~10 years the lighting levels are below what was planned for that area. So if they want to really keep light levels in check, its time to replace the lamps

In reality, the lamps keep lighting fairly enough for many more years, so no big problem from letting them keep going, except the light levels slowly going down. If you are fine with that, you can keep them going till they reach 0Lm....

Not to be confused with modern Mercury lamps, from which the light output is allready useless after few years
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why replace Mercury luminaires with Sodium luminaires? « Reply #28 on: June 27, 2016, 03:04:51 PM » Author: Medved
Well, you may design the MV installation to not need relamping for 40 years, but then you have to use 400W rated lamps where just a 80W would be far enough for an installation designed for the normal (officially rated) 4year relamping interval.
So economy wise when a 10+ year old merc provides still sufficient amount of light for the given place, that in fact it means very bad lighting design: One or two steps lower wattage had to be specified there in the first place, by that doubling the system efficacy.

It were such poor lighting designs, which made the MV's the reputation of very inefficient light source. And consequently such easy target for the greenbrainers regulations...

No more selfballasted c***

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why replace Mercury luminaires with Sodium luminaires? « Reply #29 on: June 27, 2016, 04:20:44 PM » Author: Ash
The Lm deprecation rate of old Mercs was way slower than today's cheap mercs (that are rated for 4 years), so 10 years is quite reasonable
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies