Author Topic: Lighting That Scares You  (Read 16999 times)
thelightingman

View Posts
View Gallery
All lighting except LED rules!

Re: Lighting That Scares You « Reply #45 on: March 26, 2021, 01:16:09 PM » Author: thelightingman
I think it's a rather sweeping statement to say that they explode at EOL. Certainly they can, but it's extremely rare and shouldn't really pose a problem if operated correctly and replaced before they have the chance to get anywhere near EOL. It's never a good idea for any discharge lamp to wait until it dies before replacing it, anyway.

Here is a document on the subject that you might find interesting.

As to life, that's subjective. What do you consider short life..? Some lamps can last 20,000 hours, which at 8 hours use per day comes out at just short of 7 years, which sounds reasonably long to me.

Ok. I was talking about the MH bulbs that only last 10,000 hours or less because that's all I can find where I live.

I think HPS, MV, and MH rule! :mv: :mvc: :hps: :emh: Ban LED instead! :eoled:

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Lighting That Scares You « Reply #46 on: March 26, 2021, 01:19:34 PM » Author: Rommie
Well 10,000 hours is still reasonable, you'd likely get 3 or 4 years or so out of it. It depends I suppose on what you're using it for and how difficult it is to get at it to replace.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Lighting That Scares You « Reply #47 on: March 26, 2021, 01:56:09 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Probably the only lighting that has scared me was my mum’s sun lamp!
I was about 9, when I first found the bare mercury tube ballasted by two infrared heater tubes fascinating, sadly at 9 I didn’t understand UV radiation, and duly paid the price at 3 the following morning with the, ‘wire brush in the eyes’ results of long studying bare discharge tubes!

I’ll never forget that awful smell of ozone with that night of hell either!

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Euro-Bulbs.net

Re: Lighting That Scares You « Reply #48 on: March 28, 2021, 12:27:46 AM » Author: Econolite03
What lighting scares me? I once saw EOL fluorescent tubes in a abandoned building that still had power with the fluorescent lights somehow still on. The tubes either dimly flicker or glow orange around the ends, which was creepy particularly in a dark hallway.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies