Author Topic: "GE LED Mercury" with Active Cooling Fan inside  (Read 5103 times)
Ash
Member
*****
Offline

View Posts
View Gallery


Re: "GE LED Mercury" with Active Cooling Fan inside « Reply #15 on: January 12, 2017, 02:30:53 PM » Author: Ash
A typical 80mm computer fan is 12V 140mA = 1.7W. For scale. The difference a fan would make is quite small. However, this thing cant compete with modern HID whether with or without a fan
Logged
dischargecraze
Member
***
Offline

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery

Tom


Re: "GE LED Mercury" with Active Cooling Fan inside « Reply #16 on: January 16, 2017, 06:26:09 PM » Author: dischargecraze
You won't achieve any energy efficiency with that by adding a small fan because that will increase the need for more power, hence the bulb will be just a fancy new fangled retrofit

Otherwise just stick to mercury or get a HPS retrofit bulb

We who like lighting as hobby or profession would do that probably, unfortunately big companies are pushing LED's into peoples minds for a buck. LED retrofits aren't really suitable in fixtures made for MV or HPS. People except us don't understand.
Logged
Lodge
Member
*****
Offline

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting


Re: "GE LED Mercury" with Active Cooling Fan inside « Reply #17 on: February 26, 2017, 02:22:52 AM » Author: Lodge
Well the stats on paper sure look nice, maybe the engineers office is free from insects dirt dust and other debris and has HEPA filters in the air ducts, the weakest point in this light is the fan almost anything with moving parts will fail first, if its not killed by the bugs,or the dust the bearings will fail, why not use a copper heat pipe and an aluminum heat sink allowing for natural convection cooling with no moving parts, oh I forgot fans are cheaper.. Even high quality fans like ebm-papst fans in very clean environments fail, but they do last longer then cheap fans, and I don't think they would be using ebm-papst fans in this light due to cost..

But about the energy efficiency, the fan is probably only drawing like 1 to 2 watts of the total power, which is less then the magnetic losses in a ballast and it's more then likely using a high frequency switched mode power supply which is very efficient in the range of 90% or better, and way cheaper then large copper and iron ballasts.

But they do have a long way to go in order to meet the 200 lm/w easily obtainable with a LPS light, I know in Theory you can do a maximum 300 lm/w with a white LED, but I don't live in the town of theory. 
Logged
M250R201SA
Member
*****
Offline

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery


JGriff021985 JMG717
Re: "GE LED Mercury" with Active Cooling Fan inside « Reply #18 on: March 05, 2017, 04:46:33 PM » Author: M250R201SA
I can expect that I won't see any of these here because nearly all MV fixtures are bucket lights.

Same deal in the town I live in.  85% of the luminaires are bucket lights, 10% are cobraheads, and the other 5% are power-floods.  85% of the buckets are HPS (5% of those are 150w the other 95% are 100w) and the other 15% are Mercury.  95% of the mercury are GE, the other 5% are other.  95% of the mercury luminaires are 175w, and 5% are 250w (only 2 or 3 of those 250w are GE 201SAs).  All Mercury buckets are eventually being replaced with GE 201SAs 100w HPS (at least in the neighborhoods) (SAH10S1N21181 being the catalog number of all new bucket lights.  Most new Cobra heads are M2RR25S0A2GMS3358 (for the 250w HPS cobras), the 400w have various cat. numbers as they come in all flavors.  Ameren is big on GE luminaires, and uses EYE lamps (Iwasaki) for Sodium, and Sylvania for Metal Halide.  Every now and then, they get a small shipment of 175w mercury lamps, and one lineman told me, "Whoever gets to the shipment first will grab as many as he can to put in his truck, because they are gone the next day."  I found out my local office orders 200 Mercury lamps every 6 months 95% of those are 175w, the other 5% are 250w.  When I moved here in 2006, there was a hodge-podge of different luminaires, much like Streetlight98's town.  Today, they are slowly all becoming 100w GE 201SAs.  And I just realized I have been rambling on, so I'm gunna do what Waterboy's Col. Sanders said to do and "Y'all shut up, now" lol

P.S. I miss the 2006 hodge podge of Mercury luminaires... And until late 2007, Ameren IP (Illinois Power) used Cooper lighting and had botb Mercury and HPS lamps.  When Ameren IP and Ameren CIPS (Central Illinois Public Service) merged to form Ameren Illinois, it was ALL GE, ALL HPS.  Most of the Cooper HPS buckets (which worked just fine) were replaced by their GE counterparts.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 04:57:32 PM by M250R201SA » Logged

"I know a thing or two about a thing or two...  I sure do."

Print 
© 2005-2023 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies