Author Topic: update this site omg  (Read 13905 times)
Mr. Orthosilicate

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: update this site omg « Reply #45 on: April 02, 2020, 01:23:27 AM » Author: Mr. Orthosilicate
Although I haven’t been a member of LG for that long, my personal view on the subject of changing LG would be to keep the appearance as is. I’m rather fond of the pixilated icons and outdated look, it’s almost nostalgic. Plus, it’s simple and works well, aside from the occasional error I’ve experienced where I can’t access the site.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: update this site omg « Reply #46 on: April 02, 2020, 08:56:39 AM » Author: Rommie
I basically like the site as it is, I would not want to see any major changes. But minor tweaks such as page forward/back buttons on the forum and user lists would be good. I'll probably think of a few others, if I do I'll post back here.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: update this site omg « Reply #47 on: April 03, 2020, 02:00:20 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
I basically like the site as it is, I would not want to see any major changes. But minor tweaks such as page forward/back buttons on the forum and user lists would be good. I'll probably think of a few others, if I do I'll post back here.
Same here something small like the I's in the Logo could be bulbman or some type of bulb.

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: update this site omg « Reply #48 on: April 03, 2020, 02:03:10 PM » Author: Rommie
Same here something small like the I's in the Logo could be bulbman or some type of bulb.
I'd like to see quoted text more clearly identified as such. As it is, it's difficult unless you do what we do and make the quoted text italic or maybe a different colour as I've seen at least one person do. Some forums I've been on put the quoted text in a box so it's easy to see who said what.

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: update this site omg « Reply #49 on: April 03, 2020, 03:13:01 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
I'd like to see quoted text more clearly identified as such. As it is, it's difficult unless you do what we do and make the quoted text italic or maybe a different colour as I've seen at least one person do. Some forums I've been on put the quoted text in a box so it's easy to see who said what.

That was me lol, I change it to grey. I think Patrick Could probably set the quote text to be grey by default

Administrator #5

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: update this site omg « Reply #50 on: April 03, 2020, 04:40:30 PM » Author: Rommie
That was me lol, I change it to grey. I think Patrick Could probably set the quote text to be grey by default
Possibly, although personally I find italics easier.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: update this site omg « Reply #51 on: April 04, 2020, 11:45:14 AM » Author: Ash
I am in favor of leaving the site where it is now. Both as a legacy technology guy and as an IT guy

The current website is very clean, no bloat implementation. It does not have any excessive use of Javascript. In fact, it is completely usable with Javascript turned off, the only things that will be missing are resizing of comment windows and "click to close" on pictures in the gallery (you are welcome to test). It does not take disproportional RAM and CPU on the client's end. To me it's the gold standard for any software, including a website. In the same line with magnetic gear for lighting

Virtually anything based on "modern technologies" for websites nowadays, would rely heavily on Javascript or on some of the more resource intensive features of HTML, providing no benefit except for what some call "user experience", but it is a sort of "user experience" that in the bottom line provides just an opportunity to some web developers to show off, not to make a better website

As IT guy, it is more comlicated

The saying goes, that for security, software must be up to date

Most of the software this saying applies to, is complex modern software that does complex things. In the sense of a website this can include handling user credentials across APIs between platforms ("login with Facebook account", etc), handling complex content composition (like many "content management systems"), and so on. That's some of the places where security vulnerabilities show up the most. It definitely applies to msot modern website software

This website as it is, is a very simplish, hard coded system that has very little of those places where something could go wrong. It does not need to change because there is nothing going on security wise. Injections in user fields have existed since ever. If this system haven't been vulnerable to them for all those years when it was the newest system in town, they won't appear out of nowhere now just because it is getting older. There isn't much else that could happen with it...

The latter could be said about a system that would be developed nowadays along the same design lines, but most "modern website systems" are more like the former

This is about the website software itself. The systems it is running on (web server, SQL server, OS the machine is running, etc) must be maintained to stay secure
CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: update this site omg « Reply #52 on: April 04, 2020, 12:14:12 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
Or to uptade the gallery album photos here.

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: update this site omg « Reply #53 on: April 04, 2020, 02:01:06 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps

Those images will likely never be swapped out.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: update this site omg « Reply #54 on: April 04, 2020, 02:04:50 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
As Owen has said it's unlikely they will get changed as they are there purely to show examples of the type of photos in each gallery.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: update this site omg « Reply #55 on: April 04, 2020, 02:05:01 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Those images will likely never be swapped out.

Yeah those, just like the bulb icons on each members avatar are considered a staple of LG. Even the green and blue theme.

But for dark mode, I think the colour for that should be a dark grey for the white, a darker grey for the blue border and a greyish green for the green parts.

Administrator #5

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: update this site omg « Reply #56 on: April 04, 2020, 03:18:16 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I use a third party plug in. It'd be nice for night mode to be a native feature though.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: update this site omg « Reply #57 on: April 04, 2020, 03:19:34 PM » Author: Rommie
I use a third party plug in. It'd be nice for night mode to be a native feature though.
Same here, although I don't use it that often.

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: update this site omg « Reply #58 on: April 04, 2020, 03:29:06 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Here is the design i think would look good if LG had the dark mode setting. Please see attached photo of my screen

I used gimp to change the colours in this screen shot, not perfect but gets the point across
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 10:17:58 PM by Lightingguy1994 » Logged

Administrator #5

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: update this site omg « Reply #59 on: April 04, 2020, 03:39:41 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Dark mode would be kinda nice to have, but as it is the colors are fine to me (though if there was a dark theme, I'd always use it instead of the light one).

--------------
@Lightingguy1994:
Your computer is infected with a vile piece of spyware...called chrome. :lol: u might want go about eradicating it...

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies