Author Topic: GE is gonna stop making lamps  (Read 5157 times)

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: GE is gonna stop making lamps « Reply #15 on: November 23, 2017, 07:44:59 PM » Author: 589
Seems like this is a similar move that IBM did selling off its PC business to Lenovo.

:lps:

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: GE is gonna stop making lamps « Reply #16 on: November 25, 2017, 02:58:53 PM » Author: CEB1993
Compared to the excellent Philips LED's, GE seems to have lost interest in the race to produce the best incandescent replicating LED bulbs.  GE just seemed to produce LED's as a formality in China in order to keep on pace with Philips until recently.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: GE is gonna stop making lamps « Reply #17 on: December 03, 2017, 05:52:47 AM » Author: 589
I was poking around to get parts for my GE dryer and I stumbled upon their appliance website to see that it says "GE appliances, a haier brand". Guess they've already spun off that division. Looks like their spinning off consumer divisions while licensing their brand name. Sounds like a recipe for making a joke of a household name in the future. At least IBM took their name off of the computer business when they sold it.

:lps:

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: GE is gonna stop making lamps « Reply #18 on: December 03, 2017, 07:57:59 AM » Author: FGS
I was poking around to get parts for my GE dryer and I stumbled upon their appliance website to see that it says "GE appliances, a haier brand". Guess they've already spun off that division. Looks like their spinning off consumer divisions while licensing their brand name. Sounds like a recipe for making a joke of a household name in the future. At least IBM took their name off of the computer business when they sold it.

I've heard Haier is a good brand. If the new manufacturers make stuff as good if not better than the original I have no problems with it. Though I'd want Haier to sell stuff with THEIR brand along with the GE versions. Quality might be the same but trim pieces might be different. I want different choices in styles. Take Chevrolet Suburban, Cadillac Escalade, and GMC Yukon XL as an example. They're the same thing internally but look different. Ford and Dodge does it too. Same goes for Toyota and Honda.

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

Flurofan96

View Posts
View Gallery

Celebrating my 10th Anniversary on LG

Re: GE is gonna stop making lamps « Reply #19 on: December 07, 2017, 08:04:04 AM » Author: Flurofan96
So now thats why GE lamps are only sold at WAITROSE and WILKO (I'm from the UK)

For me to hear the news I am devastated that GE is going to ditch its lamp making, in fact that was my fear 4 years ago when I went to B&Q and I saw few or no GE lamps  >:( but then I sort of calmed down when B&Q started selling its GE halogen and longline spotlight lamps in 2014 and discovering in the two supermarkets they had GE lamps  :inc: but now B&Q only sell Diall and Philips stuff

Lighting-Gallery member since June 2014

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: GE is gonna stop making lamps « Reply #20 on: December 07, 2017, 08:33:33 PM » Author: Cole D.
That's sad news, but I'm not really surprised, with GE selling their home appliances to Haier last year and had gotten out of the small appliance business years ago when they sold it to Black and Decker in 1984. Most GE branded items sold today are just licensing the name. Similar to what Westinghouse did.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: GE is gonna stop making lamps « Reply #21 on: December 08, 2017, 12:45:08 AM » Author: Ash
As IT guy i can tell you, the Thinkpads/Thinkcenters of the mid 00's that were branded with both IBM and Lenovo on the same machine (made by Lenovo) were the best, better than both the "real IBM" before them and than the newer rounded corners "Lenovo"

Have anyone checked whether GE is selling stuff, in what countries, and for how much ?
RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: GE is gonna stop making lamps « Reply #22 on: December 08, 2017, 12:57:03 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
GE has gone to hell over the years.  The engine and medical field is the only thing keeping GE alive right now.  They have a lot of changes and consolidation to do.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/07/news/companies/ge-job-cuts/index.html
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2017/12/07/ge-job-cuts/929888001/

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: GE is gonna stop making lamps « Reply #23 on: December 08, 2017, 02:18:07 AM » Author: Roi_hartmann
Yeah, there was a news yeaterday saying GE is thinking about cutting 200 jobs in Finland. Those were from power distribution sector.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

toomanybulbs

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: GE is gonna stop making lamps « Reply #24 on: December 10, 2017, 09:19:34 AM » Author: toomanybulbs
probably scrap metal.
production lines run way beyond useful life and rather than update them to produce a dead product they spin the division off to the top bidder.
its likely only worth the land value at this point.the circleville plant was very old when i was there last.
Still as functional factories, or as "rid us from this scrap metal" ? Thats quite some difference
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: GE is gonna stop making lamps « Reply #25 on: December 10, 2017, 02:18:39 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
From what i heard around GE lamps are garbage nowadays anyway, so is it really much of a suprise they are flushing out their lighting buissness?

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: GE is gonna stop making lamps « Reply #26 on: December 10, 2017, 04:09:57 PM » Author: Silverliner
Not everything is old. Bucyrus, Ohio Lamp Plant has quite a bit of up to date manufacturing equipment. They even now make some LED retrofit tubes, That factory might stay in operation after the lighting unit is sold, depends on who the buyer is.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: GE is gonna stop making lamps « Reply #27 on: November 19, 2019, 03:33:35 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
So no more street lights either, including LEDs?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 03:41:19 PM by CreeRSW207 » Logged

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies