Author Topic: EOL anticipation, over excitement...?  (Read 5688 times)
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: EOL anticipation, over excitement...? « Reply #15 on: March 13, 2018, 06:16:10 PM » Author: suzukir122
That is exactly what I enjoy as well. Most definitely... right now my GEF15T8, is doing the hot spot movement
dance, with the filament glowing brighter now than before. That... is surprisingly the only update I have as
of now. Still... no new end blackening yet.
One other thing I enjoy is when I get a "double whammy" EOL show. One after another... which was the case
not too long ago with both of my 2 lamp rapid start fixtures in my kitchen... which at the time contained
0 degree valmont HPF rapid start ballasts. My cool white plus Sylvania F40T12 lamp burned out in one
fixture, and days later, my cool white Philips F40T12 (no electrode filament shield guards) went out in
the other. Now I get another "double whammy," both lamps being GE cool white F15T8. Which is why I made this thread.  ;D

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: EOL anticipation, over excitement...? « Reply #16 on: March 13, 2018, 10:27:04 PM » Author: suzukir122
Quick update... the F15T8 with the hotspot movement/blue flashing, burned out permanently.
The EOL show was violent! Filament separated from its support holders, and part of the filament
reached the surface of the glass. There was very brilliant orange flashing and swirling, before
the filament cracked a hole through the lamp. I gotta say... that was very impressive.
I did not expect that... and this is actually the second time I've witnessed a violent EOL
show with this particular ballast, resulting in vacuum loss. The ballast isn't even cold temp...

Interests:
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: EOL anticipation, over excitement...? « Reply #17 on: March 13, 2018, 10:30:20 PM » Author: sol
Glad you were there to witness that spectacular event ! Always satisfying when it happens in person. I love the sudden darkness followed by the hissing sound of air filling the vacuum in the now defunct lamp.
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: EOL anticipation, over excitement...? « Reply #18 on: March 13, 2018, 10:44:29 PM » Author: suzukir122
 ;D Me as well! That EOL was awesome. I have also realized just how bright that lamp was.
My living room is a lot darker now without it, despite 6 more identical desk lamps in use.
I want to take a picture of the desk lamps, and the lamp that burned out, but I need a camera
that can really capture it great, without the fish-eye effect my new action camera produces.
But yeah...  I'm kinda still re cooperating from that. That was really impressive, and unexpected.
It's mainly the brighter orange flashing and swirling that caught me off guard.

Interests:

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: EOL anticipation, over excitement...? « Reply #19 on: March 27, 2018, 06:53:49 PM » Author: suzukir122
Update: 14 days later, the GE lamp that originally had the "black spot of death" has finally
went EOL... though this EOL was not as impressive, and it wasn't permanent. One would think that
higher OCV would mean better EOL show, but that was not the case here...? I'm kinda confused
on that.
But anyways, now both of my GE cool white F15T8 lamps are EOL... so now only five desk lamps
are still lit. One F15T8 cool white Philip Alto, and four GE daylight F15T8's. The living room
is a lot dimmer now.

Interests:

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: EOL anticipation, over excitement...? « Reply #20 on: March 28, 2018, 01:08:25 AM » Author: dor123
Most American magnetic T-12 ballasts didn't have EoL protection. 
I enjoy watching the "death dance" (as I call it) of T-12 lamps. Watching the hot spot travel side to side and the fire spiraling as I call it. 
Magnetic ballast can't have EOL protection anyway, as they have no means to get open circuit like the electronic ballast does.

And the show is over.

Here's a little clip of something it did ever now and then before eol:

www.whitenightcape.com/kuv/end.mp4

The end itself was not that special. This ballast seems to have good eol protection:

www.whitenightcape.com/kuv/eol.mp4

The videos are quite big so watching with cellphone might not work

I viewed the second video, and it seems that the lamp indeed lost vacuum, because of the hissing sound when it extinguish. I think that the ballast is a simple CFL like one without any EOL protection, as it would do the same as what my Osram Duluxstar 8W/827 did at EOL, and won't show what it actually did. Or the lamp lost vacuum during the fusing of the bad filament?

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: EOL anticipation, over excitement...? « Reply #21 on: March 28, 2018, 05:32:04 AM » Author: suzukir122
I'm willing to bet that Roi_hartmann's lamp lost vacuum just in general... in the
video, you can kinda see a piece of the electrode filament towards the middle of the lamp,
right after the hissing sound... which is a high indication that air had been forced
into the lamp from the cracked cathode's base, which knocked off the weak/eroded electrode
filament. I see that a lot with the more intense vacuum losses.

Interests:

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: EOL anticipation, over excitement...? « Reply #22 on: March 28, 2018, 09:02:48 AM » Author: Roi_hartmann
This is the ballast used in that fixture

https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-49812

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: EOL anticipation, over excitement...? « Reply #23 on: March 28, 2018, 09:21:09 AM » Author: suzukir122
Although I have seen a version that claimed to have EOL protection on it, it doesn't
look like this ballast in particular has EOL protection.

Interests:

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: EOL anticipation, over excitement...? « Reply #24 on: March 28, 2018, 10:39:26 AM » Author: dor123
As this is a resonance start electronic ballast, the only EOL protection that can be exist, is filament fusing. Usually when the ballast fuse the filament, this should protect the lamp from losing vacuum, as when the filament breaks, it opens a circuit in the ballast protection and so extinguishing the lamp. The lamp can only lose vacuum if it continues to burn even after the bad electrode is broken, what causes overheating and melting of the glass, which means that this ballast don't have EOL protection.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 10:41:04 AM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: EOL anticipation, over excitement...? « Reply #25 on: March 28, 2018, 10:56:22 AM » Author: suzukir122
@Dor123, is the situation you're referring to, when the filament breaks, the light shuts off? I've
seen this with a lot of electronic ballasted CFL's and fixtures. My F15T8 under cabinet light seems
to have that as well, and all of the CFL's in my bathroom have it too.
I didn't know that this was EOL protection kicking in, if so.

Interests:

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: EOL anticipation, over excitement...? « Reply #26 on: March 28, 2018, 11:13:37 AM » Author: dor123
Yes. With electronic ballast that have lamp filament fusing EOL protection, it overheats the bad electrode, in order to break it. When that electrode break the lamp shut off. This is what happened in the videos I posted earlier in this thread.
EOL lamp on electronic ballast that burns to lose vacuum, like in the case rapid-start (Magnetic), trigger start and slimline, can only occur if there are no EOL protection at all.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: EOL anticipation, over excitement...? « Reply #27 on: April 22, 2018, 11:34:10 PM » Author: suzukir122
New update... one of the Daylight USA made F15T8's will be reaching EOL soon. At first I noticed the non etch side
was getting a little pinker (room temperature was mild at the time, not too hot, not too cold) The non etch side
still isn't looking all that great with the warmer room temps, but now the etch side of the same lamp has more of a pink glow with the
occasional blue flashing/occasional hotspot movement. Looks as if the etch side of that lamp will be the one
to cause EOL. This F15T8 lamp is being driven by another 0.32amp cold temp HPF trigger start ballast.
The desk lamp is located at the far end of my 8 foot table... the last of the 5 F15T8 desk lamps. On the other
end of the table is where the first EOL took place. (The first EOL I mentioned at the beginning of this thread.)
I notice a trend... seems to be the lamps at the far end that are going EOL first. Means nothing but, I still find it slightly odd.
Another thing, all of the USA made Daylight lamps seem to be reaching EOL pretty early. My cool white GE lamps (USA made,
both EOL) and 3 USA made Daylight F15T8's, as well as a lite white F15T8 Westinghouse (EOL), and F14T12 GE USA made Soft White
lamp (no fixture for that lamp as of now)... all of these lamps came from one Ebay order I made on 5/20/2017. The Daylight
USA F15T8's were the only ones that were new... all of the other fluorescent lamps were used.
And so, seems like the Daylight F15T8's are all indicating signs of EOL almost at the one year mark... though with frequent
switching on and off throughout that time.
Long message. I know. lol

Interests:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies