Author Topic: Electrical Slang  (Read 2042 times)
HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Electrical Slang « on: May 06, 2018, 01:23:07 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I heard the term "Orange Drop" Used to describe these capacitors:

After I heard that I started calling other colored capacitors such as greens and reds Limes and Cherries...

I call the blue ones blueberries... although I do not say this one aloud much because it does not flow real well..

Oh and I call the Gray ones pebbles.. (Yeah I know the one below is not really gray.. but I've seen gray ones)

Any other slang terms people like to use for electrical devices?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 01:27:16 PM by HomeBrewLamps » Logged

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

LampLover

View Posts
View Gallery
120/240VAC @ 60HZ

GoL PeterYachymczyk UCYBAif_ag4v8nIcCU3VAmag
Re: Electrical Slang « Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 06:44:30 PM » Author: LampLover
1900 Box

LED Free Zone!
All For HID, magnetic rapid-start Preheat & old-school electronic Only (no instant start F17T8 & F32T8 allowed)

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Electrical Slang « Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 01:09:03 AM » Author: tolivac
Vacuum tubes--"Firebottles"!or "Hot Glass"!!Large resistors--"Dogbone resistors".Batteries and transformers--"box of sparks"Any component that fails with smoking--"You let the smoke out of it so it won't work anymore."Give me time may think of others.
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Electrical Slang « Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 05:36:25 AM » Author: dor123
In Hebrew, there is a common slang "Shalter" (שאלתר) for the main circuit breaker in the electric panel. A common use of it, is "To lower the shalter" (להוריד את השאלתר).

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Electrical Slang « Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 10:56:01 PM » Author: joseph_125
Here in Ontario and probably other provinces too the term "hydro" is commonly used to refer to utility/mains power and the utility company in general.

Some other terms I've heard:

Pole pig - pole mounted step down transformer
Marette/Wire Nuts - Twist-on wire connectors
Suicide cord - a extension with cord with two male plugs on it.
Etherkiller - A power cord spliced to a ethernet cable, useful for letting the magic smoke out of computers.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Electrical Slang « Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 12:03:45 AM » Author: Ash
In Hebrew, there is a common slang "Shalter" (שאלתר) for the main circuit breaker in the electric panel. A common use of it, is "To lower the shalter" (להוריד את השאלתר).
Schalter - Switch in German. (Also SchutzSchalter - Safety Switch, which means RCD)

There is also some confusion with the terms for circuit breakers :

"Hatzi Automat" / "Maz" - mean MCB, rarely used at all
"Mamat" - mean MCCB, but in everyday talk used for MCB
"Breaker" - English word for any breaker, in everyday talk in Hebrew used for MCCB
F96T12 DD VHO

View Posts
View Gallery

Just chilling I guess

https://www.facebook.com/ Unreleasedwav UC2Uv7t9KgigOoT6blff2t3w i.d._official
Re: Electrical Slang « Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 07:00:02 AM » Author: F96T12 DD VHO
Some of MY slang for electricity

Cube - the 5v Apple iPhone wall charger
Brick - My MacBook adapter
PGP( Polarized and Grounded Plug)
5v Rectangle - any USB port
Power Gang - basically a power strip
Fluorescent’s “Heart” - Ballasts
Self-cooling Heat Sink - A fan
I may come up with more later

Music Producer/Light Enthusiast

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: Electrical Slang « Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 08:30:32 AM » Author: 589
"Eddy" - a nema 5-15 plug or socket. Short for Edison. Mostly in use with production. In a sentence - "hand me that stage pin to female eddy would ya?"

"Sahcco" - a socapex connector or cable with socapex connections on both ends.

"Tail(s)" - a cable or bundle of cables with only one end terminated

"PD" - a temporary power distrobution device that recieves a large facility power circuit (typically 200/400a 3phase 208/120v Y) and splits it into smaller circuits for local use. It can employ all kinds of different connectors as output from a nema 5-15 on up.

"Feeder" - very large cable or bundle of large cables to connect the PD to the facility wiring. Usually three hots (black, red, blue) a neutral, (white), and a ground (green). The colors are usually denoted by the connectors on the end of each cable which are generally large camlocks.

"Power pagoda" - a smaller PD that is shaped similarly to a pagoda. It is square with a hinged, handled lid that contains the circuit breakers and the connections are on all four sides. It is typically made of a firm rubber.

:lps:

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Electrical Slang « Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 06:27:09 PM » Author: BT25
A high voltage termination being called a 'pothead'...no, I didn't make it up. ;D

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account shows unnecessary spending? ::)
Have an empty wallet?  :lol:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies