Author Topic: Does Anyone know where I can buy Photnicinduction's 480V plug from?  (Read 3973 times)

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: Does Anyone know where I can buy Photnicinduction's 480V plug from? « Reply #15 on: May 06, 2018, 07:12:54 AM » Author: 589
Also the linked transformer is only rated for 75va and you will be wiring it backwards to get 480v from 120v. So I would be careful with that because you are only going to be able to run a 50w fixture max on that transformer if you follow 80% loading rule of thumb. I would echo the cautions of 480v handling, it's 4x the voltage you are used to so look up some best practices for 480v wiring. Good luck!

:lps:

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Does Anyone know where I can buy Photnicinduction's 480V plug from? « Reply #16 on: May 06, 2018, 01:58:01 PM » Author: Ash
The best practices for the testbench can be approximately summed up as :

- Do not poke fingers anywhere when it's connected to power. When disconnecting power, do it in a way that you could visually confirm such as a plug out, and safely discharge any capacitors that could hold significant voltage and/or energy (understand what energy danger is and how to deal with high energy devices safely. For the average lamp testing setup this is irrelevant)

- Do not have anything flammable next to the test setup

- Wear eye protection if you do something that could blow up

That is as much as required for personal safety. All the rest does not matter. You can wire your 480V with Ethernet cable if you wanted to. That is the difference between testbench and proper electrical installation

Sure, even on the testbench you may want to take some extra measures to also prevent failure of your experiment, equipment damage and so on... But that's a different story
tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Does Anyone know where I can buy Photnicinduction's 480V plug from? « Reply #17 on: May 07, 2018, 01:13:51 AM » Author: tolivac
DO NOT use cabling for high power voltages such as 120V on up on cables not designed for it.At one radio station an engineer ran 120V thru 8451 audio cable.I came up to this and assumed it would be "audio" well it was all right if you consider 120VAC high level "audio"Glad I didn't touch it was removing cables that were unused from a rack and it blew a gap in my cutters,tripped a breaker and nonetheless was startling.Otherwards DO NOT use Ethernet cable or audio cable for power voltages!Could pose a hazard for someone else not expecting the HV to be there-and its a code violation.When you deal with many radio stations-code violations are something to expect.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Does Anyone know where I can buy Photnicinduction's 480V plug from? « Reply #18 on: May 07, 2018, 04:23:37 PM » Author: Ash
The problem here is not the use of audio cable at higher voltage (the cable handled the 120V just fine, didn't it ?). It's the fact that it was left, basically as a trap (when you see an obviously audio cable and dont expect to find 120V on it), to unsuspecting somebody else (that happened to be you) who came to deal with it maybe years after it was assembled

Why go as far as that, even using the correct cable, but not wiring it according to color code (on both ends so that it does work, for example, using Green for Phase) is a trap that will sooner or later cause an accident

Permanent (or "temporary", but not testbench) installation, is whole different world than testbench
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Does Anyone know where I can buy Photnicinduction's 480V plug from? « Reply #19 on: May 07, 2018, 06:00:00 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Ash, I'll just say this once;

CEASE AND DESIST..! You are now advocating dangerous practices, running 480V through Ethernet cable is the height of stupidity.

The OP wanted to know where to buy a particular type of plug, THAT WAS ANSWERED TO HIS SATISFACTION.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

F96T12 DD VHO

View Posts
View Gallery

Just chilling I guess

https://www.facebook.com/ Unreleasedwav UC2Uv7t9KgigOoT6blff2t3w i.d._official
Re: Does Anyone know where I can buy Photnicinduction's 480V plug from? « Reply #20 on: May 08, 2018, 06:57:29 AM » Author: F96T12 DD VHO
Although this was helpful, I know more about the plug and voltage etc.
I also know about the safety precautions for everything about this plug and what not to do with it

Ria did answer my question and the most recent post from Miss Cuddly hopefully will stop the safety talk if there isn’t already enough

Ash, thanks for the safety tips for this plug

Now I can get to building this outlet
Thanks everyone

I’m not trying it with Ethernet cable either

Music Producer/Light Enthusiast

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Does Anyone know where I can buy Photnicinduction's 480V plug from? « Reply #21 on: May 08, 2018, 01:57:03 PM » Author: Ash
You say it's dangerous and height of stupidity, would you be kind to explain what could happen that endangers anyone ?

The use conditions are to run an experiment on the test bench. During the experiment nobody is poking fingers into the cable (as required by safety rule no. 1). It is not left connected to power outside of the experiment
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Does Anyone know where I can buy Photnicinduction's 480V plug from? « Reply #22 on: May 08, 2018, 02:08:08 PM » Author: Rommie
I tell you what, Ash. You run all the tests and experiments you like, just leave the rest of us to do things PROPERLY.

The OP is happy, so are we. You are the only one who is still blethering on. As far as we're concerned, this discussion, such as it is, is now over.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Does Anyone know where I can buy Photnicinduction's 480V plug from? « Reply #23 on: May 08, 2018, 02:11:32 PM » Author: Ash
By doing things properly, you should never do anything lighting related, since you are not a licensed electrician. End of story
RCM442
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

rcm442 UC1Q-wYhi9O-1q4ugOaOZ9dA rcm442
Re: Does Anyone know where I can buy Photnicinduction's 480V plug from? « Reply #24 on: May 08, 2018, 02:26:53 PM » Author: RCM442
By doing things properly, you should never do anything lighting related, since you are not a licensed electrician. End of story
Ash, most of us here have quite a lot of electrical experience and some speaker cables can handle 120 volt just fine. Some of the high powered amps USE 120 volts to drive the speakers, running 480 volts through ethernet cable is just asking for a massive flashover and possibly death for some poor person. This is the end of this thread, the OP got his answer

LEDs need to stop taking over everything
Administrator #4
Need help with something on the site? Let me know!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies