Author Topic: LED disease stopped in its tracks  (Read 4884 times)
BlueHalide

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED disease stopped in its tracks « Reply #15 on: February 03, 2019, 12:50:44 PM » Author: BlueHalide
working man, no offense to you personally with my last comment, but the type of LED retrofit lamp you installed cannot possibly produce the amount of light of a 175w MH, yes there are 15K lumen LED retrofit lamps, but they are enormous and would never fit a fixture like that. I imagine the lamps you installed are probably somewhere in the region of 3000-5000 lumens, the LED strips facing the rear of the fixture are basically wasted since those wallpacks use a small reflector and the LED lamps are generally much larger that the HID lamps they replaced. In this situation, youre lucky to get 1/8-1/4 of the light out of the fixture compared to the original metal halide lamp.

I too work for an electrical contractor, a do plenty of lighting installations, from experience this type of retrofit simply doesnt last, even if you used quality lamps. The fixture is totally enclosed and the heatsinking on those corn cob lamps is minimal, I see failures of these in the field all the time. The company I work for generally upgrades clients to LED by removing the entire HID fitting and installing a proper LED fitting.

Lastly, by lazy, this type of retrofit is exactly that, a cheap, quick retrofit that will have dismal performance and reliability. Electrical contractors looking to make a quick buck regardless of the outcome for the client performs these types of retrofits, we have a competitor here that will literally retrofit a customer's entire exterior lighting with the same 40w LED corn cob lamps, the 100w wallpacks and 400w HPS parking lot lights all get the same cheap 40w 6500K corn cob lamps, and it looks terrible.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED disease stopped in its tracks « Reply #16 on: March 04, 2019, 01:23:32 PM » Author: Medved
The retrofits are bad due to many reasons:
It starts from the optical incompatibility,
different mode of heat losses yielding fixture overheating (the HIDs emit majority of the losses as IR, which passes through the lens, so does not warm up the fixture; the LEDs only heat up the surrounding air, so all losses end up as heat trapped inside of the fixtures)
to the impossibility to effectively cool down the LEDs (too small surface to transfer the heat from the LEDs to the air around)
leading to consequent high operating temperature of the LEDs so very bad reliability.

The purpose build LED lanterns are mainly designed to dissipate the heat as one of the primary design requirements (the other is the beam pattern control, so reducing the required installed power for the task), you can never match that with any retrofit.

So either keep the fixture as HID, or use a decent properly designed LED. Any "compromise" with any retrofit will always bring huge troubles.

Retrofits are feasible for 400..1000lm household lamps, where you are dealing with up to 10W and with required lifetime not much more than 10khours (that means nearly 10 years in home use; usually not big deal to replace), but to replace HIDs we are in the 30..100W and 50+khour (20khours with 2% failure rate) LED ratings as minimum to get the same "work" done and that is by far other league. And that is just not technically possible with any retrofit, forget that.

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies