Author Topic: And so it ends  (Read 21612 times)
Bottled lightning

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: And so it ends « Reply #30 on: October 26, 2019, 03:10:18 AM » Author: Bottled lightning
I don’t know if it will fit but here’s a cheaper one https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lampi-all-weather-fluorescent-light-fixture-24-inc-Model-4320-1-F18T9-WW-Garage-/123781279367 

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: And so it ends « Reply #31 on: October 29, 2019, 07:54:40 AM » Author: 589
How well do you think the two foot single l as mp model would do? Any space for a ballast or would I have yo go with a double lamp fitting?

There’s not as much vertical space in a t8 vapor proof as a proper SOX fixture, say like a beta 5, so likely the ballast will have to be in an external box unless there is enough space to fit it in front of or behind the lamp.. I’m currently trying to figure out a box for my wh8 ballast to fit in. It’s difficult since it’s almost two feet long.

:lps:

cameroncafe10a

View Posts
View Gallery

UCQuDNqwbxKJIjjNDt65ofhw
Re: And so it ends « Reply #32 on: November 03, 2019, 04:46:51 PM » Author: cameroncafe10a
Well that's it, SOX lamp production has now ended.  :'(

RIP Low Pressure Sodium, you will be missed.
HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: And so it ends « Reply #33 on: November 03, 2019, 06:38:44 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Wonder if anyone's able to obtain the last produced lamp.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: And so it ends « Reply #34 on: November 03, 2019, 09:23:17 PM » Author: 589
Well that's it, SOX lamp production has now ended.  :'(

RIP Low Pressure Sodium, you will be missed.

Source?

HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: And so it ends « Reply #35 on: November 03, 2019, 09:51:36 PM » Author: HPSM250R2
Source?

The source of this information is in the first post on this topic. Get em while you can. I have some 18 watt lamps I am selling off individually on eBay.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 09:53:37 PM by HPSM250R2 » Logged

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: And so it ends « Reply #36 on: November 04, 2019, 09:12:01 AM » Author: 589
The source of this information is in the first post on this topic. Get em while you can. I have some 18 watt lamps I am selling off individually on eBay.

I re-looked up the source and yes as at seems that it should now be ended. I was still under the impression that production would end in 2020 as originally stated by philips for some reason.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: And so it ends « Reply #37 on: November 04, 2019, 09:15:51 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I re-looked up the source and yes as at seems that it should now be ended. I was still under the impression that production would end in 2020 as originally stated by philips for some reason.
They must have filled all of the outstanding orders, so closed earlier than originally planned.  :'( :a_sox:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: And so it ends « Reply #38 on: November 04, 2019, 09:20:07 AM » Author: 589
Indeed a shame, however I plan to enjoy what we do have for many years to come!

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: And so it ends « Reply #39 on: November 04, 2019, 12:22:33 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Indeed a shame, however I plan to enjoy what we do have for many years to come!
As do we and having a SOX lantern as a floor lamp in the corner of the room is going to be good.  8)

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Proteus

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: And so it ends « Reply #40 on: November 09, 2019, 08:03:46 AM » Author: Proteus
As do we and having a SOX lantern as a floor lamp in the corner of the room is going to be good.  8)

I've a single bare 35W SOX lamp in my room, mixed with a clear merc it gives a really nice light (in my opinion - we're not talking about CRI). In summer time just the SOX because of the mosqitos. A shame they closed down. I will as well try to save as many SOX as possible.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: And so it ends « Reply #41 on: November 09, 2019, 10:18:19 AM » Author: Rommie
I've a single bare 35W SOX lamp in my room, mixed with a clear merc it gives a really nice light (in my opinion - we're not talking about CRI). In summer time just the SOX because of the mosqitos. A shame they closed down. I will as well try to save as many SOX as possible.
Yes, we're doing that with our "Lamp of the Day" feature today, we have our Gamma 6 on as usual and also the clear 80W MB/U that James made for us  8)

Also agree with your last comment, we should all try and save as many SOX lamps as we can, there will never be anything like them ever again  :(
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 12:18:08 PM by sox35 » Logged

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: And so it ends « Reply #42 on: November 09, 2019, 10:24:38 AM » Author: HPSM250R2
Yes, we do that as well sometimes, clear mercury and LPS together looks good  8)

Also agree with your last comment, we should all try and save as many SOX lamps as we can, there will never be anything like them ever again  :(

Unfortunately :'(
I'm doing my best to stock up on what I can. Although I'm being pressured to stop spending money on my hobbies by my family because I'm going to school in January. Everybody's telling me my priority should be going to school and finally get my life going first. It's hard though when there may not be time to wait.
James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: And so it ends « Reply #43 on: November 10, 2019, 10:38:54 AM » Author: James
This week the final Philips SOX lamps were made.  A very sad day in Hamilton, as the last remaining part of the factory  which once employed over 2000 people closed down on Thursday.  However it was spared the same slow decline as other factories, maintaining full speed of 800 lamps per line per hour right up to the last moment.  It is a tribute to the professionalism of the 70 people who lost their jobs that there was no decline whatsoever in the quality and scrap levels right up to the last day.  I understand that this full capacity plan has allowed Signify to build up stocks of around a million lamps, which should ensure that SOX is still available for about two years.  Hopefully also without any further price rises, which have plagued this lamp during the past few years as volumes declined and the cost of the raw materials began spiralling upwards.  Anyway in case not already done, now is the time to stock up on SOX lamps for the future!  The fate of LPS technology once the Philips stocks are depleted will depend on whether or not a couple of small Chinese companies are successful in improving their quality to make their lamps viable alternatives with sufficiently long life to be useful.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: And so it ends « Reply #44 on: November 10, 2019, 10:43:49 AM » Author: Rommie
A sad day indeed, James. I would so love to have seen lamps in production there, but I do understand why it didn't happen  :'(

I have most wattages except the small 10W and the big 180W ones, hopefully I will be able to get at least one of each soon  :)

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies