Author Topic: Color Temperature and Brightness Preferences for Night Lights  (Read 5748 times)
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Color Temperature and Brightness Preferences for Night Lights « Reply #15 on: October 12, 2019, 10:04:17 PM » Author: CEB1993
I prefer night lights in amber, which is why I think it's a shame we moved away from neon. I use amber where I can in my home, but also have discovered the snap-on switch plate night lights, and I really like those. The color temperature is on the cooler side, but they have a dimmer/off switch if they are too bright for guests.

We got a bunch of these to use at the lake house when we renovated last year  :) These switch plate night lights are a little cool (5000K) for a night light. I installed one in the kitchen, in the hall near the bathroom door, and in the guest bedroom. I don’t think my version has an on/off switch.

I tried a blue LED night light in my bedroom labeled “soft blue” and it was relaxing while going to bed, but disturbed me while actually falling asleep.  It’s true that blue light will cause sleep disruptions, at least for me.

I have a small stash of 4 watt Rite Aid brand C7 night light bulbs. They produce the most pleasant and warm light at night for me. Even “soft white” LED night lights seem to white with some blue wavelengths mixed in.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

mdcastle

View Posts
View Gallery

mdcastle 26956281@N02
Re: Color Temperature and Brightness Preferences for Night Lights « Reply #16 on: October 16, 2019, 07:19:32 PM » Author: mdcastle
Around the house so I can see what I'm doing in the bathroom and kitchen I have a couple of fairly bright, but aimed downward 3000K directional LEDs.

In my bedrooom I like it just bright enough so I can make out shapes after my eyes are dark adapted. I have a couple of NE-2 "guide lights" mixed in with the light from some of the LED indicator lamps on my electronics.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Color Temperature and Brightness Preferences for Night Lights « Reply #17 on: October 24, 2019, 02:40:06 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
For night lights I much prefer the amber glow of LPS, but I think this might be a bit on the bright side.!  :D
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 03:32:40 PM by Mandolin Girl » Logged

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Color Temperature and Brightness Preferences for Night Lights « Reply #18 on: October 25, 2019, 05:30:25 AM » Author: AngryHorse
I have a rather dark landing, even during the day, so I have a 10 watt, 3000 K Diall LED running 24/7 all year round!, I also have an Enagetic 3watt ‘night light’ incorporated into the bathroom lighting, but this is connected to the outside lighting, so only runs at night whereas the Diall is constantly on ;)

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Color Temperature and Brightness Preferences for Night Lights « Reply #19 on: October 25, 2019, 07:10:09 AM » Author: Ash
Thats a whole lot ! In recent days i relit a staircase in an apartment building of a friend with 4W 300Lm LED filaments and while it is dim, it is not "nightlight" level
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Color Temperature and Brightness Preferences for Night Lights « Reply #20 on: October 25, 2019, 09:14:53 AM » Author: CEB1993
My two favorite night lights I’ve used so far are both 3000K.   One of them is the square LED night light with a dimmer switch that I got on Amazon and the other is the motion activated GE night light that turns on for 90 seconds whenever I walk past.

Either one one is perfect for use in my house at night. The dimming function is great for light that can light up a whole bathroom, to subtle light that marks where the wall is. The GE is a relatively bright 45 lumens but turns off automatically when it’s not needed.

Having manual control over light brightness and color temperature helps users rate the light as more comfortable.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Color Temperature and Brightness Preferences for Night Lights « Reply #21 on: October 25, 2019, 01:02:26 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
For night lights I much prefer the amber glow of LPS, but I think this might be a bit on the bright side.!  :D
Joking aside, there is an HPS wallpack that shines into the bathroom giving just enough light to see by. Plus a little LED plug-in lamp in the hallway helps.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Color Temperature and Brightness Preferences for Night Lights « Reply #22 on: October 26, 2019, 11:49:01 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
The 35 watt HPS in my exit sign mounted right above my bed is a good nightlight.

If I open the hatch on the exit light it becomes a room light lol.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Color Temperature and Brightness Preferences for Night Lights « Reply #23 on: October 27, 2019, 11:38:05 PM » Author: CEB1993
Sometimes LED digital alarm clocks serve as night lights in the bedroom.

Ideally, the digital clocks should be red to create longer wavelength light that doesn’t disrupt sleep quality and melatonin production. Blue is the worst color for digital clocks as it produces short wavelength, stimulating light.

My alarm clock is green, so it’s decent for a sleeping environment. I point the clock away from my bed, especially since I like to sleep on my side. It’s an old alarm clock that has lasted and lasted. Nowadays, many new digital alarm clocks have dimmable displays which is ideal  :)

Stop the lamp bans!

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Color Temperature and Brightness Preferences for Night Lights « Reply #24 on: October 28, 2019, 04:12:28 PM » Author: Ash
In many of them the problem is that they are stupid bright. I see it in another place, there are PC cases sold now with RGB light features that sometimes cant even be disabled, this really could disturb whoever bought them...
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies