Author Topic: Phillips SON-T 100w lamp  (Read 3978 times)
Pete

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Phillips SON-T 100w lamp « Reply #15 on: November 24, 2019, 12:00:30 PM » Author: Pete
Thank you both,
I feel quite “chuffed” I’m so glad that you are agreeing with me a novice that the problem is the absence of a link from the thick brown off the ballast to the ignitor.  I was worried about damage and therefore was nervous about changing the wiring.
That’s my plan in the morning, new wire and a rewire, as mentioned before, can I just connect a 1.5mm wire from the ballast lamp connected to the ignitor.  Sorry to be thick, if it was ordinary lighting I would feel more comfortable having rewired two houses.  Cheers again both 
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Phillips SON-T 100w lamp « Reply #16 on: November 24, 2019, 03:39:12 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Nearly everyone on here will give you help if you ask.  :)

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Pete

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Phillips SON-T 100w lamp « Reply #17 on: November 25, 2019, 12:16:03 PM » Author: Pete
I think I may have missed thanking you, still getting use to the forum.

Thank you Ria,

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Phillips SON-T 100w lamp « Reply #18 on: November 25, 2019, 12:26:34 PM » Author: Rommie
I think I may have missed thanking you, still getting use to the forum.

Thank you Ria,
No problem, that's what we're here for, to learn from and to help others  :)

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Phillips SON-T 100w lamp « Reply #19 on: November 25, 2019, 01:08:18 PM » Author: Medved
Hello, i was puzzled by the same thought but as I mentioned the wiring is exactly as it was when the lamp was working.  I have found a wiring diagram that mirrors the wiring in the fitting, I’ve attached it for you to see.
Once again, thank you for your advice

You have to follow the wiring diagram for the components you have. Even when that should be different from the original circuit.

There are plenty of circuit topologies, all have components named "ballast" and "ignitor", but they are completely different from each other, so use different wiring diagrams. Of course, using diagram coming from one topology with components designed for another one may not work.

Although the main lamp ballasting is always "a choke in series with the arc" and the "semiparallel ignitor is using the ballast choke with a tap as a HV pulse transformer", the main differences is, how the ignitor pulser (the "ignitor" box) interfaces with the ballasting coil (what is the tap pulse voltage, on which end of the choke it is, how the ignitor detects whether the lamp had ignited or not,...) in order to correctly generate the ignition voltage pulses at the lamp. I know at least three circuits, all three using three terminal ballast choke and a three terminal ignitor box, but completely incompatible one to each other.

Now you have the Philips kit, so you have to follow the wiring diagram for that kit (= what is posted on the ignitor or maybe even the ballast).
What you have found on that page shows the other topologies, maybe even designed for other mains systems (120V,...), so it is very likely these are not valid for the components you have now.

All this is the reason, why all important components (except the generic ones like capacitors) have the corresponding wiring diagram printed on them AND often are listing the type of the complementary components (from the same maker). You have to always make sure the wiring diagram matches even when replacing some components (to make sure they are of the same topology).

No more selfballasted c***

Pete

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Phillips SON-T 100w lamp « Reply #20 on: November 27, 2019, 04:43:56 AM » Author: Pete
Thank you, your experience is appreciated
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Phillips SON-T 100w lamp « Reply #21 on: December 01, 2019, 02:38:55 PM » Author: Rommie
How are you getting on with this..? :) :hps:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies