Author Topic: A weird photocell on a Cooper Archeon  (Read 355 times)
CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

A weird photocell on a Cooper Archeon « on: November 28, 2019, 08:49:42 AM » Author: CreeRSW207
I was exploring in NYC on Google earth and found this. Do you know the purpose of it?

Long live Mercury Vapor and Incandescent street lighting!

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery
Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: A weird photocell on a Cooper Archeon « Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 08:53:12 AM » Author: dor123
Wi-Fi? Cellular?

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the European date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 230-240V, 50hz country.

HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: A weird photocell on a Cooper Archeon « Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 10:55:10 AM » Author: HPSM250R2
NYC has used those for years. I can't remember exactly what it is but I think it has to do with fire/emergency responders. The top is just a photocontrol I think.
CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: A weird photocell on a Cooper Archeon « Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 11:27:20 AM » Author: CreeRSW207
NYC has used those for years. I can't remember exactly what it is but I think it has to do with fire/emergency responders. The top is just a photocontrol I think.
There is another one on this website.

Ugly1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: A weird photocell on a Cooper Archeon « Reply #4 on: November 28, 2019, 04:32:48 PM » Author: Ugly1
This is used to indicate that there is a fire alarm box located on one of the adjacent corners of the intersection. Prior to 2004, there would be be a bracket on the side of the pole( or mounted on the shaft cap of the pole) that held a small light fixture with an orange globe. Before 1982, this fixture was lit by a 32 watt incandescent street light bulb. After 1982, all the fixtures were switched over to 7 watt compact fluorescent bulbs. In 2004, all locations that held a fire alarm fixture were switched over to these ingenious led lights. The existing photoelectric control was unplugged, the led cylinder with a twist lock base was plugged in, and the photoelectric control was replaced.
HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: A weird photocell on a Cooper Archeon « Reply #5 on: November 28, 2019, 05:05:24 PM » Author: HPSM250R2
This is used to indicate that there is a fire alarm box located on one of the adjacent corners of the intersection. Prior to 2004, there would be be a bracket on the side of the pole( or mounted on the shaft cap of the pole) that held a small light fixture with an orange globe. Before 1982, this fixture was lit by a 32 watt incandescent street light bulb. After 1982, all the fixtures were switched over to 7 watt compact fluorescent bulbs. In 2004, all locations that held a fire alarm fixture were switched over to these ingenious led lights. The existing photoelectric control was unplugged, the led cylinder with a twist lock base was plugged in, and the photoelectric control was replaced.

I really want to find out who makes them. They're pretty cool I want to order some.
CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: A weird photocell on a Cooper Archeon « Reply #6 on: December 01, 2019, 01:19:19 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
What are they called?

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226
Re: A weird photocell on a Cooper Archeon « Reply #7 on: December 01, 2019, 02:38:52 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I want one of these aswell... It looks really awkward in a cobra but may look nice on a bucket light...

~Owen

Mercury Vapor LampHigh Pressure Sodium Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps Cool High Pressure SodiumMercury Vapor Lamp

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: A weird photocell on a Cooper Archeon « Reply #8 on: December 01, 2019, 07:24:39 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
I want one of these aswell... It looks really awkward in a cobra but may look nice on a bucket light...
Do you know the name of them?

Ugly1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: A weird photocell on a Cooper Archeon « Reply #9 on: December 02, 2019, 01:29:42 PM » Author: Ugly1
I think this might be a custom item, designed by NYC DOT engineers. When you are purchasing 14,000 of an item,I have no doubt that many companies would be happy to manufacture an item to your specifications.
 There were a number of other custom items that NYC specified. During the mercury lighting programs of the late 50s and early 60s, NYC used GE M400 and Westinghouse OV-25 luminaires equipped with 250 watt ballasts rather than using M250 and OV15 luminaires. The Area Lighting Research SST-NYC and Ripley(Southconn) 6390b-NYC photocontrols were a custom design. The 250,000 Cooper 150 and 100 watt hps  luminaires purchased and installed between 2007 and 2011 were  equipped with electronic ballasts and voltage sensors. The current LED fixtures that have been installed have the voltage sensor and four connector terminal blocks( hot, neutral, ground, and load from photocontrol).
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: A weird photocell on a Cooper Archeon « Reply #10 on: December 02, 2019, 04:47:31 PM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah I'm not surprised that those NYC fire alarm lights are a custom product. Interesting about using the larger luminaires with 250w MV lamps too. You might be able to build a homemade version with some photocontrol parts and receptacles though.

NYC traffic signals were pretty interesting too, I heard they kept the old style mirrored glass reflectors and glass lenses instead of switching to aluminum reflectors and plastic lenses all the way until they switched to LED.
Ugly1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: A weird photocell on a Cooper Archeon « Reply #11 on: December 02, 2019, 05:30:17 PM » Author: Ugly1
Check out eBay item 193230812928. I believe  this may have been a custom NYC item. During 1946,
New York City embarked on a ten year street lighting modernization program. Photoelectric controls were still way too expensive to place on each individual luminaire, so astronomic time switches were used. NYC purchased time switches from General Electric( type T-18) and Sauter Electric(type ZYB). The astronomic time switch was mounted in the base of the steel pole or adjacent to the heel of the bracket on a wood pole. NYC started using photocontrols about 1954. The last date for the purchase of these time switches was about June 1956. However, there were many locations where the use of a photocontrol was not feasible. Locations such as brightly lighted theatre districts and Times Square, and under elevated railway railway lines. The plug in time switch shown on eBay was used in locations where ambient light would prevent the proper operation of the streetlight.Notice the property engraving N.Y.C. in the photo
 showing the bottom of the time switch.                                                 

Ugly1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: A weird photocell on a Cooper Archeon « Reply #12 on: December 02, 2019, 05:41:11 PM » Author: Ugly1
Just to clarify. The original time switches were enclosed in a small aluminum enclosure with a terminal block for wiring. The plug in time switch was of course plugged in to the twist lock receptacle on the luminaire.
Print 
© 2005-2020 Lighting-Gallery.net | Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines