Author Topic: Converting a antique fluorescent light fixture to LED youtube !  (Read 4489 times)
rom1

View Posts
View Gallery

Converting a antique fluorescent light fixture to LED youtube ! « on: December 21, 2019, 12:57:24 AM » Author: rom1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivy_9EmInZ0&t=530s             https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0AJibBtyME&t=414s 

Never sell the bear's skin before one has killed the beast

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Converting a antique fluorescent light fixture to LED youtube ! « Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 11:27:47 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Why on earth would you want to do this.?  ???

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Converting a antique fluorescent light fixture to LED youtube ! « Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 04:20:58 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Not with crappy eBay tubes at any rate, a decent set of LED tubes look well in converted lights when done properly!

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Converting a antique fluorescent light fixture to LED youtube ! « Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 04:31:21 PM » Author: Rommie
Sorry, a fluorescent fixture is designed to use fluorescent tubes. HID fixtures are designed to use HID lamps, SOX fixtures are designed to use SOX lamps. Anything else is just plain wrong.

Don't get me wrong, if you really do love LED's, I'm not going to try and stop you using them (although I'd prefer it if you didn't..!)

But don't "convert" fixtures designed for other types of lamp.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 04:33:08 PM by sox35 » Logged

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

rom1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Converting a antique fluorescent light fixture to LED youtube ! « Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 06:23:23 PM » Author: rom1
I think the replacement led bulbs used in this fixture are very poor quality because this antique fixture gives off very little light  ::)

Never sell the bear's skin before one has killed the beast

merc

View Posts
View Gallery

Adam

GoL
Re: Converting a antique fluorescent light fixture to LED youtube ! « Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 03:00:18 PM » Author: merc
Why on earth would you want to do this.?  ???
Two or three times better efficacy compared to T12 - further increased by the fact the light doesn't need to be reflected?
Frequent switching without wearing the lamp?
100% light output in a fraction of second? (I've got some 2D lamps that run up almost as slow as HID.)
Decent tubes not readily available any more?
Longer lamp life? (I mean decent quality LEDs - not cheap ones.)

Sorry, a fluorescent fixture is designed to use fluorescent tubes. HID fixtures are designed to use HID lamps, SOX fixtures are designed to use SOX lamps. Anything else is just plain wrong.
They were designed to use those lamps because no suitable alternative existed. Now some manufacturers produce replacement LED modules for their original fixtures. I've got one and while very ugly (hidden behind the diffuser) it works perfectly.
Actually I'll probably have to convert remaining two 2D fittings if I don't find decent 2D tubes. This LuxLike crap isn't worth trying again. Very slow run up and short life.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies