Author Topic: How to make a florescent tube light reach eol  (Read 15361 times)
LucasColley

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How to make a florescent tube light reach eol « Reply #30 on: June 11, 2020, 02:05:08 AM » Author: LucasColley
How do you make it hot and cold? I would do that to make it go mercury starved for sure but I just need a little more info on how to do it. Thanks

@Ash:
The idea is actually not   to blow the cathode, just heat it up. (ideally heat..cool..heat..cool... particularly if you can intermittently light the tube. I don't know why that makes them go mercury starved, but it does.)
LucasColley

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How to make a florescent tube light reach eol « Reply #31 on: June 11, 2020, 11:28:22 AM » Author: LucasColley
And is the cathode the pins right? Planning on making one of my tubes mercury starved today somehow. This looks like the best one.
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: How to make a florescent tube light reach eol « Reply #32 on: June 11, 2020, 03:09:16 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: LucasColley
now that it has a burn mark on the end like a used tube light, will it die shorter
Yes that will shorten the life, but I don't know by how much.

------------------

Quote from: LucasColley
  I just need a little more info on how to do it. 
The thing I mentioned earlier where you could do it up sorta like a preheat would look like the pic attached. In this case I used a F20 so I could get a closer photo (the setup you see here if you added a 2nd set of 100 lights would actually work just fine. F20 would light as if the lights were an actual ballast. With a F32 120v is not enough voltage for it to light, so it'll just blink)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 01:09:52 PM by xmaslightguy » Logged

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

LucasColley

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How to make a florescent tube light reach eol « Reply #33 on: June 11, 2020, 03:21:26 PM » Author: LucasColley
Will this make it go mercury starved? I don’t understand the hot and cold thing on how it makes it mercury starved. Would I use a hairdryer?
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: How to make a florescent tube light reach eol « Reply #34 on: June 11, 2020, 03:25:33 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
It will for Alto's .. I don't know about other brands.

Its the blinking created by the starter that creates the heating/cooling of the cathodes.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

LucasColley

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How to make a florescent tube light reach eol « Reply #35 on: June 11, 2020, 03:27:35 PM » Author: LucasColley
Ah I see. I would have to buy a starter I already have Christmas lights. Any idea where I could find one? Mainly the one I need.

It will for Alto's .. I don't know about other brands.

Its the blinking created by the starter that creates the heating/cooling of the cathodes.
Meme Pods

View Posts
View Gallery

A nice daylight CFL

UCKBWkfqE5WPMlFZmssITqPQ
Re: How to make a florescent tube light reach eol « Reply #36 on: June 11, 2020, 05:04:31 PM » Author: Meme Pods
Ah I see. I would have to buy a starter I already have Christmas lights. Any idea where I could find one? Mainly the one I need.

Ace hardware

Down with the halogen bulbs

LucasColley

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How to make a florescent tube light reach eol « Reply #37 on: June 11, 2020, 05:05:36 PM » Author: LucasColley
Ok and do you know where I can find alto bulbs in a single pack I can’t seem to find them anywhere
Meme Pods

View Posts
View Gallery

A nice daylight CFL

UCKBWkfqE5WPMlFZmssITqPQ
Re: How to make a florescent tube light reach eol « Reply #38 on: June 11, 2020, 05:09:15 PM » Author: Meme Pods
Also ace hardware

LucasColley

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How to make a florescent tube light reach eol « Reply #39 on: June 11, 2020, 05:13:06 PM » Author: LucasColley
I looked but they don’t have any I’ll look around. And would there be a way for me to crack open the bulb to Air poison or let mercury out of the bulb?

Also ace hardware
Meme Pods

View Posts
View Gallery

A nice daylight CFL

UCKBWkfqE5WPMlFZmssITqPQ
Re: How to make a florescent tube light reach eol « Reply #40 on: June 11, 2020, 05:22:39 PM » Author: Meme Pods
I looked but they don’t have any I’ll look around. And would there be a way for me to crack open the bulb to Air poison or let mercury out of the bulb?

yes tap very gently with a hammer and that will do it

LucasColley

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How to make a florescent tube light reach eol « Reply #41 on: June 11, 2020, 05:23:57 PM » Author: LucasColley
Where do I tap gently? The pins or right by the pins except on the glass part
Meme Pods

View Posts
View Gallery

A nice daylight CFL

UCKBWkfqE5WPMlFZmssITqPQ
Re: How to make a florescent tube light reach eol « Reply #42 on: June 11, 2020, 06:17:53 PM » Author: Meme Pods
On the glass by the pins

LucasColley

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How to make a florescent tube light reach eol « Reply #43 on: June 11, 2020, 06:25:45 PM » Author: LucasColley
Like this? I tested on a burned bulb. There is a crack at the bottom.
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: How to make a florescent tube light reach eol « Reply #44 on: June 11, 2020, 08:46:42 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
@LucasColley:
For a starter, I know both Home Depot & Lowes used to sell them (have no idea if they still do as its been a long time since I last looked for any.)
You could also get them off eBay. Just get whatever FS-2 is cheapest, doesn't really matter if its a good brand since you'll likely wear it out anyway .lol.

--------
And no, you wouldn't want to crack the glass like that! Once the lamp has lost vacuum, it'll never light at all. It will be very very difficult to damage it just ever so slightly as to let in a tiny amount of air, without causing a crack/vacuum loss.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies