Author Topic: How to make a florescent tube light reach eol  (Read 15180 times)
LucasColley

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How to make a florescent tube light reach eol « Reply #75 on: June 13, 2020, 01:08:35 PM » Author: LucasColley
I think you need the a bulb with the same wattage as the one in the photo does not matter what size tho

Could I use a different starter? I currently have an FS-2
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: How to make a florescent tube light reach eol « Reply #76 on: June 13, 2020, 01:13:35 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
@LucasColley:
The picture was just done as an example of the setup, I used a F20 so I could put the camera closer & have more detail.

As for the lights, try removing the starter (just connect the wires together).
Then go back to the original set of 100 lights...
Then one at a time add the 60x purples (plug into the outlet at the end of the 100)

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

LucasColley

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How to make a florescent tube light reach eol « Reply #77 on: June 13, 2020, 01:15:21 PM » Author: LucasColley
Ok I will try that. And even though I don’t have a Phillips alto bulb will at least blink?

@LucasColley:
The picture was just done as an example of the setup, I used a F20 so I could put the camera closer & have more detail.

As for the lights, try removing the starter (just connect the wires together).
Then go back to the original set of 100 lights...
Then one at a time add the 60x purples (plug into the outlet at the end of the 100)
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: How to make a florescent tube light reach eol « Reply #78 on: June 13, 2020, 01:54:50 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
@LucasColley:
With no starter, the lamps ends will just glow. Trying to get it to that point for you.

I did some experimenting last night, and found a single 100x set would only gave a dim end glow.
2 100x sets, one with a bulb removed - so 150 lights brightened the end glow so it was more visible.   
2 100x sets (just as is) brightened the end glow to the point where it lit them sorta normal color (but also looked like I was overdriving them a bit).
I tried with both a Philips & a GE (in either case I only let it run for less than a minute)

I don't have any 60x sets other than LED, so couldn't try with that size. (do have some 70x sets though)

With a starter the ends would blink, but I couldn't get power to jump across the tube. Running specs for a F32 are something like 32w/320ma/101v (but I'm pretty sure it needs a higher starting voltage)

------------------------------
Since I had the test setup put together, I did some other un-related experimenting with it today...
Same basic setup, but instead of 120v, I used 240v. That will get gallery pictures/descriptions later.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 01:56:38 PM by xmaslightguy » Logged

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

LucasColley

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How to make a florescent tube light reach eol « Reply #79 on: June 13, 2020, 02:25:30 PM » Author: LucasColley
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I was mowing the grass. Ok I’ll try it without the starter now and let you know what it does.

@LucasColley:
With no starter, the lamps ends will just glow. Trying to get it to that point for you.

I did some experimenting last night, and found a single 100x set would only gave a dim end glow.
2 100x sets, one with a bulb removed - so 150 lights brightened the end glow so it was more visible.   
2 100x sets (just as is) brightened the end glow to the point where it lit them sorta normal color (but also looked like I was overdriving them a bit).
I tried with both a Philips & a GE (in either case I only let it run for less than a minute)

I don't have any 60x sets other than LED, so couldn't try with that size. (do have some 70x sets though)

With a starter the ends would blink, but I couldn't get power to jump across the tube. Running specs for a F32 are something like 32w/320ma/101v (but I'm pretty sure it needs a higher starting voltage)

------------------------------
Since I had the test setup put together, I did some other un-related experimenting with it today...
Same basic setup, but instead of 120v, I used 240v. That will get gallery pictures/descriptions later.

LucasColley

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How to make a florescent tube light reach eol « Reply #80 on: June 13, 2020, 03:00:55 PM » Author: LucasColley
So I have to fix the string of 100. I think I broke one of the bulbs and half of it is on. Not sure if I can fix it. So I tried using a 70 ct and I got rid of the starter and connected the two wires that go to the starter together and those wires go to the pins. I plugged it in and the lights were at full brightness but nothing was happening with the bulb. So then I added 60ct lights to the 70ct string and it was full brightness as well, still nothing with the bulb. The bulb has been put through 12v dc before but it still works, would that be the problem.
Meme Pods

View Posts
View Gallery

A nice daylight CFL

UCKBWkfqE5WPMlFZmssITqPQ
Re: How to make a florescent tube light reach eol « Reply #81 on: June 13, 2020, 03:07:19 PM » Author: Meme Pods
No hookig it up to 12v dc is not a problem also hooking the filaments to 120v will kill the fillaments and the lamp wont start without the starter

Down with the halogen bulbs

LucasColley

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How to make a florescent tube light reach eol « Reply #82 on: June 13, 2020, 03:09:07 PM » Author: LucasColley
No hookig it up to 12v dc is not a problem also hooking the filaments to 120v will kill the fillaments and the lamp wont start without the starter

Yea I did nothing with hooking it up with 120v directly. Maybe I just need to get a set of 100 and 50 Christmas lights. Am I using Copper wire right? I feel kinda dumb for asking that but just making sure .
LucasColley

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How to make a florescent tube light reach eol « Reply #83 on: June 13, 2020, 03:22:08 PM » Author: LucasColley
Is there a ballast that I can use instead of the lights to make it go mercury starved? If so please let me know.
Meme Pods

View Posts
View Gallery

A nice daylight CFL

UCKBWkfqE5WPMlFZmssITqPQ
Re: How to make a florescent tube light reach eol « Reply #84 on: June 13, 2020, 03:44:34 PM » Author: Meme Pods
Yes copper wire BUT make sure it can handle the current if not well it can explode

LucasColley

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How to make a florescent tube light reach eol « Reply #85 on: June 13, 2020, 03:45:33 PM » Author: LucasColley
Yea it’s good copper
Meme Pods

View Posts
View Gallery

A nice daylight CFL

UCKBWkfqE5WPMlFZmssITqPQ
Re: How to make a florescent tube light reach eol « Reply #86 on: June 13, 2020, 04:11:58 PM » Author: Meme Pods
That's good then you should be ok

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: How to make a florescent tube light reach eol « Reply #87 on: June 13, 2020, 07:34:53 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
@LucasColley:
Easy fix on the 100x set, just replace the broken bulb (might need a screwdriver or pliers to get it out)

Out of curiosity I tried 70x sets this afternoon..with 1 set, the Christmas lights light near normal brightness/can't really see a glow in the fluorescent's ends. With 2 sets, there's a visible orange glow in the fluorescent's ends.  With 3 sets, the fluorescent's ends light sorta the color it would be as a fluorescent...

LucasColley

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How to make a florescent tube light reach eol « Reply #88 on: June 13, 2020, 10:09:40 PM » Author: LucasColley
Holy crap guys I am such an idiot. I USED LED’S INSTEAD OF INCANDESCENT! Huge thanks to xmaslightguy for letting me know about that! And so sorry for making everyone waste there time on helping me. The t8 bulb is now blinking on the ends like it should! Now how long should I leave it on to go mercury starved? I have a Ge t8 32W bulb, yes I know it’s not an alto but I just want to see how long I should leave it on to even see if it will go mercury starved. I will get some altos hopefully this week. Thank you guys for all of your help!
LucasColley

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How to make a florescent tube light reach eol « Reply #89 on: June 14, 2020, 05:56:47 AM » Author: LucasColley
It will for Alto's .. I don't know about other brands.

Its the blinking created by the starter that creates the heating/cooling of the cathodes.

How long do you leave the bulb on with the starter and Christmas lights to go mercury starved?
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies