Author Topic: Do mixed color temperatures annoy you?  (Read 3318 times)
LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Do mixed color temperatures annoy you? « on: November 12, 2020, 06:11:31 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
Do mixed color temperatures bug you? I experience it a LOT. All of my classrooms have those 2x4 fluorescent troffers with all different CCTs scattered around the rooms. IT BUGS ME SO MUCH!  >:( Only ONE of my classrooms has all the lights that have the same color temperature - 3000K. All of the others have 3000K, 5000K, and sometimes 4000K ALL IN THE SAME ROOM!  :curse:
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 07:13:48 PM by LightsoftheWest » Logged

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do mixed color temperatures annoy you? « Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 06:19:45 PM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
It annoys me as well. Personally I'm guilty of that in my own bedroom. Though if the light has lamps that are the same color temperature but it still has a different color temperature from the light next to it which has lamps that have the same color temperature, it's better, but still annoying.

My old school was like that too. The main colour mixes were 4100K and 3500K in the same room. Though I've seen 3500K, 4100K, and 6500K in the some rooms as well. The hallways were fine for the most part. All 4100K except for a few 3500K lamps near the main entrance.
marcopete87

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do mixed color temperatures annoy you? « Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 02:04:24 PM » Author: marcopete87
Only if there are differences between lamps.
If they are mixed in the same luminarie, i'm ok.
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Do mixed color temperatures annoy you? « Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 02:30:45 PM » Author: joseph_125
It depends but generally yes. However if it's done tastefully then the mixing of colour temperatures might look good. The worst is when they randomly mix in the same luminiare IMO.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do mixed color temperatures annoy you? « Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 04:13:20 PM » Author: Ash
I'm not, allthough when i install or maintain the lighting myself i keep colors uniform
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Do mixed color temperatures annoy you? « Reply #5 on: November 14, 2020, 01:36:34 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I have envisioned color temperature mixing as an art if done intentionally.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: Do mixed color temperatures annoy you? « Reply #6 on: November 14, 2020, 09:23:00 AM » Author: Binarix128
I intentionally mix halogen with daylight and cold light fluorescent tubes to get a more neutral color and better spectrum instead of just using daylight fluorescent.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do mixed color temperatures annoy you? « Reply #7 on: November 14, 2020, 12:40:16 PM » Author: Medved
Depends which mixing we are talking about.
If within the same fixture, e.g. behind a diffuser, so the result is just a light with CCT somewhere between, it is OK.

But if each fixture emits something else, so what you get are colored shadows everywhere, it is nasty, it looks more like a circus or disco bar then.

No more selfballasted c***

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do mixed color temperatures annoy you? « Reply #8 on: November 15, 2020, 12:57:45 AM » Author: tolivac
LED lights that mix colors of RBG LEDS to get "white" annoy me.But mixed color fluorescent,HID doesn't bother me.
kai

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do mixed color temperatures annoy you? « Reply #9 on: December 27, 2020, 01:36:58 PM » Author: kai
I have envisioned color temperature mixing as an art if done intentionally.
There are indeed installations that use different light colours intentionally as effect. When done with taste it can look quite attractive.

But a completely different story is the bad habit to radomly scatter different lamps accross an installation, just putting in what they could grab first. Looks like a mess itself, and then the coloured shadows everywhere :curse:
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Do mixed color temperatures annoy you? « Reply #10 on: December 27, 2020, 03:03:41 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
When I see a store/office/school/(whatever) with a random mix of lamp colors in their lights, I think it looks cheap & trashy (or atleast tacky and/or very unprofessional). Same goes for a place that's full of EOL's. It just looks so bad. I've always wondered what a 'general public' person who's in no way into lights thinks? Or if they even notice?

----
One time years ago at work, the main space was being completely renovated so they were located in a different room for the summer while that took place...
There was a bunch of EOL lamps in that temporary location, so before the main spot got gutted & everything there went in the dumpster I grabbed lamps from it. Thing is they were CW, the other room had WW (these were standard 4xF40 troffers). My solution was to swap out the center 2 lamps for in all fixtures for CW, leaving the outer ones WW.  (in reality you were supposed to put in a work-order with building maintenance to have dead lamps replaced. I just wanted to get it done quickly since time was an issue .lol. and my manager didn't care that I was doing it.)
It actually looked pretty good that way .lol. and it stayed like that after work went back to their normal space was complete, infact funny thing is it remained like that for years - until that area was eventually completely gutted/re-done.

---------
That all said on the tackyness of EOL's & mixed colors......my garage if full of a random mix of color temperatures, and of the 23 lamps, I think 15 of them are EOL (most are on LPF ballasts so they still light half-brightness). Its good enough for there, so I don't care.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do mixed color temperatures annoy you? « Reply #11 on: December 28, 2020, 09:49:52 AM » Author: James
This annoys me intensely - especially when I see the same thing being done even in the factories and offices of big lighting companies!  I always wonder how they can dare to try to sell good lighting to customers - and then the customers come to visit and their own premises are soo poorly lit!
Jovan

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do mixed color temperatures annoy you? « Reply #12 on: December 28, 2020, 10:25:46 AM » Author: Jovan
Do mixed color temperatures bug you? I experience it a LOT. All of my classrooms have those 2x4 fluorescent troffers with all different CCTs scattered around the rooms. IT BUGS ME SO MUCH!  >:( Only ONE of my classrooms has all the lights that have the same color temperature - 3000K. All of the others have 3000K, 5000K, and sometimes 4000K ALL IN THE SAME ROOM!  :curse:
It annoys me quite bad.Worst is when halophosphate tubes with 6500K color get old and light has then green hue to it and it looks dim.EOL is quite annoying in closed room,where you write,learn or read.
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Do mixed color temperatures annoy you? « Reply #13 on: December 28, 2020, 11:10:36 AM » Author: dor123
When I put my Aqua Light 70W/10000 MH lamp that I bought at Aliexpress in my tracklight, I also turn on my Philips Master TL5 HE 21W/840 on, since the 10000K MH alone, have a pale, LED like color, despite there are no blue peak in the spectrum, and it is well balanced.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do mixed color temperatures annoy you? « Reply #14 on: December 28, 2020, 04:34:21 PM » Author: Ash
Virtually all lighting in places here (schools, etc) used to be maintained by spot relamping

In my schools, especially the high school that was older so most lamps were not the originals - there was a mix of everything - Daylight, Cool White, (of different manufacturers and different wear levels, so looking different even when they are the same ratings), mix of T8 and T12 in the same luminaires, etc. But they were always all working - Janitor was walking by with a ladder and a box of tubes every once in a while, and faithfully doing his job

Nowadays with non repairable LED stuff it is actually much more common to see EOL lights left in place, until it becomes too dark, and then complete luminaires getting replaced so becoming mismatched on luminaire level
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies