Author Topic: Why did Iwasaki HID lamps become so popular in Australia?  (Read 1169 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Why did Iwasaki HID lamps become so popular in Australia? « on: November 14, 2020, 01:33:55 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
When I was looking for HID lamps to add to my collection, I have been seeing many eBay listings of Iwasaki HID lamps and fixtures that ship from Australia. I wonder why Australia likes Iwasaki HID lighting so much.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why did Iwasaki HID lamps become so popular in Australia? « Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 12:41:30 PM » Author: Medved
Because Japan is closer than Europe or the US?

No more selfballasted c***

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Why did Iwasaki HID lamps become so popular in Australia? « Reply #2 on: November 14, 2020, 04:59:18 PM » Author: Silverliner
Australia even got incandescent reflector bulbs made by EYE Iwasaki. If you look in my gallery you'll see I have an EYE 180w weatherproof incandescent flood lamp.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

LightsDelight

View Posts
View Gallery

Fred Dirst is watching you

UCp-ouYxSgmqTWUY4RGWyAFg rollaman82
Re: Why did Iwasaki HID lamps become so popular in Australia? « Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 08:20:04 AM » Author: LightsDelight
They were bloody reliable. I think the main reason is they have a good reputation and they are closer but are bloody dear too.

Keep discharge lighting alive

James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why did Iwasaki HID lamps become so popular in Australia? « Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 09:30:09 AM » Author: James
Also Panasonic and Toshiba lamps.  For instance Osram-GEC used to sell mainly Panasonic HPS and Toshiba metal halide lamps under its own brand in Australia.  Presumably that was cheaper for them to source there instead of sending their own production half way around the world from the UK, although their catalogues do also list some types as being made in UK.
John

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why did Iwasaki HID lamps become so popular in Australia? « Reply #5 on: January 28, 2021, 04:18:33 AM » Author: John
A lot of the Iwasaki lamps on Australian eBay are coming out of mining surplus. These lamps remind me of my childhood! I still see the odd one around on buildings and poles. There is something cool about the style of them isn't there? And as LightsDelight said they are reliable and robust which suits the Australian market.
LightsDelight

View Posts
View Gallery

Fred Dirst is watching you

UCp-ouYxSgmqTWUY4RGWyAFg rollaman82
Re: Why did Iwasaki HID lamps become so popular in Australia? « Reply #6 on: January 28, 2021, 06:49:35 AM » Author: LightsDelight
A lot of the Iwasaki lamps on Australian eBay are coming out of mining surplus. These lamps remind me of my childhood! I still see the odd one around on buildings and poles. There is something cool about the style of them isn't there? And as LightsDelight said they are reliable and robust which suits the Australian market.
Not just mining but they were very popular with electricians as they are cheap at the wholesalers. They have boxes upon boxes and they sell them cheaply to get rid of them. At my last place of work, there was a box of EYE 400W MH lamps that were used on a job spot changing lamps, they were all predominately dead but were swapped out for EYE. Can't think of why we chose eye opposed to Philips or Osram except the price.

Keep discharge lighting alive

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies