Author Topic: Reasons why some HPS MV retrofit lamps damage CWA ballasts  (Read 1206 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Reasons why some HPS MV retrofit lamps damage CWA ballasts « on: November 17, 2020, 01:07:26 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Can someone give a full explanation as to how most HPS retrofit lamps for MV ballasts will cause damage to CWA ballasts?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Reasons why some HPS MV retrofit lamps damage CWA ballasts « Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 07:45:15 PM » Author: Silverliner
CWA ballasts can't tolerate voltage rise over time very well. HPS lamps rise in operating voltage over time, and it can overheat and ruin CWA ballasts. Also, some retrofit lamps (in the case of my Westinghouse 360w Econolux lamps) will cycle on such ballasts even if brand new.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Reasons why some HPS MV retrofit lamps damage CWA ballasts « Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 10:13:09 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
What about the standard US HPS lamps from 150w S56 to 1000w S52? The ballasts designed for those lamps are almost always CWA yet these lamps still cycle.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies