Author Topic: Does anyone know of Sylvania Metalarc Swingline lamps?  (Read 1516 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Does anyone know of Sylvania Metalarc Swingline lamps? « on: November 17, 2020, 11:22:37 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Has anyone known that Sylvania GTE made metal halide lamps that retrofit into mercury vapor ballasts without any modifications at all? These lamps are known as the Metalarc Swingline lamps and were only produced in the 1970s. They were only available in 400w. When you search for these lamps, look for the following part numbers:

MM400/BU-HOR

MM400/BD

MM400/C/BU-HOR

MM400/C/BD
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 11:31:28 PM by WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA » Logged

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Does anyone know of Sylvania Metalarc Swingline lamps? « Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 12:31:04 AM » Author: Silverliner
Yup, I sure do. Sylvania’s answer to the GE I-Line. I will be posting a pic later this weekend if time permits.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

LandryB

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Does anyone know of Sylvania Metalarc Swingline lamps? « Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 09:30:42 PM » Author: LandryB
Yup, I sure do. Sylvania’s answer to the GE I-Line. I will be posting a pic later this weekend if time permits.

Did these have a diode circuit inside the lamp?  Were they Sodium-Scandium chemistry, or Sodium-Thallium-Indium?
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Does anyone know of Sylvania Metalarc Swingline lamps? « Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 10:11:00 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Did these have a diode circuit inside the lamp?  Were they Sodium-Scandium chemistry, or Sodium-Thallium-Indium?

I just dont know the chemistry since I never saw any photos of these lamps.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Does anyone know of Sylvania Metalarc Swingline lamps? « Reply #4 on: December 09, 2020, 06:09:51 PM » Author: James
These types had NTI chemistry in the beginning, because the NaSc types are mores susceptible to hyrdogen iodide contamination during life, which leads to rising reignition voltages.  The result of that would be too short a lamp life when used on regular mercury ballasts.  The invention of the barium peroxide getter by Sylvania somewhat improved this problem in the general lighting lamps, but I am not sure if their later Swingline lamps then changed to NaSc fills.  It would be interesting if Dave could light his and check whether or not it shows thallium green colour as it begins to run up!
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies