Author Topic: Do you miss HID?  (Read 13416 times)
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Do you miss HID? « Reply #15 on: December 20, 2020, 04:16:10 PM » Author: AngryHorse
I’ve got to be somewhat brutally honest here........but
Do I miss HID?, no, not a bit!

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

The Cooper OVX

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you miss HID? « Reply #16 on: December 20, 2020, 04:59:00 PM » Author: The Cooper OVX
You favor LED over HID?

Common HPS fixture in many cities. slowly being phased out.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Do you miss HID? « Reply #17 on: December 20, 2020, 05:05:41 PM » Author: Rommie
We miss it dreadfully in the streets, it's incredibly sad to go out and not see a single discharge lamp  :'( :sadbulb:

But we console ourselves that we have enough here to see us out for our lifetimes  :lps: :hps: :mv: :bumh: :sli:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: Do you miss HID? « Reply #18 on: December 20, 2020, 05:08:01 PM » Author: Binarix128
I really miss HID, to see them start up and their nice light! LED streetlights are not more interesting than turning on a light bulb at home and their light is awful!
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Do you miss HID? « Reply #19 on: December 20, 2020, 05:12:46 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I fondly miss the HPS and MV lanterns with glareshields on California’s freeways.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Do you miss HID? « Reply #20 on: December 20, 2020, 05:32:58 PM » Author: AngryHorse
You favor LED over HID?
It’s hard to explain, if I’d have been asked this question 20 years ago, (when I was using and still learning about HID), I would have said definitely, but it’s an age thing with me now, and since I started using LED at home and work I’ve lost all internet in discharge lighting, I don’t even light any of my attic rigs anymore, (something I once did nightly)!

I’ve had every type of HID lighting as outside lighting at home, changed from LPS to HPS and mercury, but was never happy to leave any of them in for longer than 3/4 years, without the need to mess with them!

Then in 2017, I managed to get two proper ‘highway spec’ LED road lanterns, (not crappy eBay imports), I originally wasn’t even going to use them, but fitted them both in August of that year and never looked back since!
As lighting goes now, fluorescent and discharge for me is just out-dated tech now!, I know that sounds harsh, but that’s just how I feel?

Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Do you miss HID? « Reply #21 on: December 20, 2020, 05:39:05 PM » Author: Rommie
Well, that does seem harsh. So it's outdated, so what..? That's every reason in the world to preserve and use it, surely..? Look at steam railways; they were outdated in the 60's, but there are more heritage lines around (certainly in the UK) than ever before. Don't knock something because you think it's outdated.

An age thing..? I can see how old you are from your profile, and I've got 15+ years on you..! You'll never see me saying old lighting is outdated, they'll be putting me in my coffin with a few SOX lamps  :DeAtH: :lps:

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Do you miss HID? « Reply #22 on: December 20, 2020, 05:48:21 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Yeah, keep in mind this is just MY opinion, but also you have just recently got into building and displaying discharge lighting in the last few years, I had SOX lamps and was running them back in 1985, and was collecting the bulk of what I had in the early 90s
Maybe I’ve just ‘funned’ myself to death with them?

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Do you miss HID? « Reply #23 on: December 20, 2020, 06:18:06 PM » Author: Rommie
Not completely true, Rich. I have been interested in lighting since I was 10 or even earlier, I just didn't start collecting seriously until relatively recently. But that really doesn't mean anything, just because I wasn't actively collecting, doesn't mean I wasn't interested.My life was pretty busy with work for most of the time.
Now that I'm retired I have the time to indulge myself   ;D :inc: :hps: :lps: :mv: :emh: :mvblb: :bumh: :mvc: :cfl1: :sli: :tuinc: :son-t: :mv-t: :tumh: :stickcfl: :cfl3: :pinkcfl: :redcfl: :gcfl: :ycfl: :Bluecfl: :blbcfl: :soxltrn: :a_mv: :a_sbmv: :a_mh: :a_son-e: :a_son-t: :a_sox: 

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Do you miss HID? « Reply #24 on: December 20, 2020, 06:22:00 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
For me it's quite simple I will always miss them, I was late coming to the party and they're calling last orders already.  :'(
I've missed out on the golden years of HID, and very soon all that will be left is our collections.  :(
I want to help preserve them for as long as there is breath in my body, and beyond that if possible.  :love:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Do you miss HID? « Reply #25 on: December 20, 2020, 06:38:31 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Yeah that makes sense, I’ve always had an interest in lighting the same, but I was fortunate, my auntie Christine lived right next door to the council yard and me and my cousin Jonny would be in and out of there all through the school holidays!
I was lucky to have what could be called ‘a street lighting shop’!, (AKA the scrap pile in this yard), to choose from!

It was street lighting engineer friend Steve, ( who worked in this yard ), that built my my first running rig for a school leaving project in 1985, fitted with lamp and gear for 35 and 80watt SOX and MBF lamp that really got me into lighting.

Collecting for preservation I agree with by all means, and just because I’ve lost interest in HID lamps doesn’t mean in any way that I’d bin my collection, but for the commercial lighting industry you have to look at the bigger picture.

In November 2017 our town was 100% SOX street lit, by November 2019 they were all gone, and Philips in Hamilton was shut, with the low pressure sodium lamp ceased to be manufactured forever!, that happened IN JUST TWO YEARS!!, just 2 years, and who would have ever predicted that?

Seriously, every lighting enthusiast today needs to collect like mad, because I honestly think that by 2025 there won’t be any discharge lamps made, including HPS and MH!, I could be wrong, but from what I can see I’d be surprised?

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Do you miss HID? « Reply #26 on: December 20, 2020, 06:39:58 PM » Author: Rommie
And here was me thinking you'd have loads of SOX lamps you didn't want any more  :mrg:

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Do you miss HID? « Reply #27 on: December 20, 2020, 07:03:32 PM » Author: AngryHorse
 ;D, I don’t have as many as I did 20 years ago, just one of every size, but more 35s only because my brother in law still has a Beta Five in full time use in his yard!
For me though, I have at least one of every type of HID lamp, fluorescent and induction, with the gear to operate them, so I don’t feel the need to collect anything else anymore, and I’ve never been one of them that searches indefinitely for that ‘holy grail’ item whether it turns up or not!

My interest with lighting now is, - yes- , all LED, (feel free to slap me),  :slap:, but semiconductors are something I’m still learning about now as I did with discharge when I was in my early teens!, and the LED tech is as fascinating to me now as HID was all those years ago!

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you miss HID? « Reply #28 on: December 21, 2020, 01:14:04 AM » Author: tolivac
I run my HID lights AT HOME!So I can enjoy them instead of crappy LED.Someone needs to make an icon indicating CMH bulbs!Same with deluxe white color CHPS.Those are the HIDs I use.
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Do you miss HID? « Reply #29 on: December 21, 2020, 01:27:38 AM » Author: Lumex120
I wouldn't call it outdated as much as "under appreciated" especially things like ceramic metal halide.

Unofficial LG Discord

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies