Author Topic: Do you miss HID?  (Read 1861 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

MH, HPS, MV, and SOX lighting forever.

Re: Do you miss HID? « Reply #45 on: December 22, 2020, 05:24:41 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Induction never took off here, come to think of it, where I am, fluorescent never did either! The nearest induction installation I know of is on an ASDA car park in Manchester 40 odd mile away from me!
Halide street lighting didnít take off either, (not even the ceramic version), even today the only halide street lighting I know of is around the shopping centre in my neighbouring town, and itís 8 columns if that?

I was born in 1972 with predominantly mercury street lighting, then in 1980 the mass changeover to LPS came about with the energy crisis.
The LPS lamp was with us for the next 36 years, with spot replacement of HPS only appearing in the 90s here!
In about 2015, just 3 LED lanterns appeared in random places across our whole town, these would remain as 3 until
2017 when there was a complete town wide explosion of them wholesale!

The 5 guys that did the refit, (2 in a column truck, 2 in a bucket van, and one in a service van), worked at such an incredible speed, that when I passed them while going to get milk and bread one morning, I saw them starting one road, and by the time I got back from the shop they had completed the removal of about 6 old concrete columns, planted the new steel ones, fitted lanterns to them and had them lit on test!!

It took the same team just 3 months to completely 100% re-light our entire town from SOX to LED!

I imagine that this council was pretty happy that SOX was discontinued since they thought that LED was the worldís most energy efficient light source.

Say NO to ballast and bulb bans. MV, MH, HPS, and SOX forever!!!! Magnetic preheat fluorescent forever!!!!!

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), ballasts, and fixtures from around the world.

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Do you miss HID? « Reply #46 on: December 22, 2020, 07:12:56 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Oddly enough, the original change out plans were for 36 watt PL-L fluorescents, this is what was put forward on the street lighting page of the council website, the road plans to where they would start were all laid out with dates for the work to be completed.......
Then the page went blank, for about 8 months, and it was a further year until work started with LED, Iím guessing in the end, fluorescent wasnít given a green light to go ahead with?

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

alexd120

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you miss HID? « Reply #47 on: February 01, 2021, 11:24:16 AM » Author: alexd120
I love Hid fixtures
Metal halide mercury vapor and high pressure sodium for life
sox35
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Do you miss HID? « Reply #48 on: February 01, 2021, 11:50:18 AM » Author: sox35
It took the same team just 3 months to completely 100% re-light our entire town from SOX to LED!
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
It'll be all right in the end, and if it isn't all right, it isn't the end :love:

Administrator, UK and European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch
:love:

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

zzz

GoL ATL
Re: Do you miss HID? « Reply #49 on: February 01, 2021, 08:56:42 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
My neighborhood & all surrounding ones are still HPS. (so I could look outside at night & still see HID lights in use)
But allot of the highways & main roads have been converted to LED.
Allot of shopping centers have converted their parkinglots to LED as well.

Forget the lights..just give me a good lightning storm & tornado to go watch...

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: Do you miss HID? « Reply #50 on: February 21, 2021, 03:43:17 AM » Author: nicksfans
There's still tons of HID around me, in fact, a majority of street lights here are still HID. That said, I'll definitely miss it when it's gone, regardless of how good LEDs get.

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you miss HID? « Reply #51 on: February 22, 2021, 12:29:48 AM » Author: tolivac
I just enjoy my HID lights AT HOME!Paying to run them doesn't bother me.
sox35
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Do you miss HID? « Reply #52 on: February 22, 2021, 06:10:38 AM » Author: sox35
I just enjoy my HID lights AT HOME!Paying to run them doesn't bother me.
Same here, but I miss them when out and about, as well  :'(

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
It'll be all right in the end, and if it isn't all right, it isn't the end :love:

Administrator, UK and European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch
:love:

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Do you miss HID? « Reply #53 on: February 22, 2021, 04:45:53 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Although I donít necessarily miss the actual light source itself, I do miss the odd and quirky SOX columns and lanterns we had, in equally odd and quirky places around our town!

I miss the twin REVO Hyperion Bs we had on our little round about that I spent 12 years walking past on my way to and from school, I miss the lone PHOSCO P153 that was outside my junior school, I miss the Ďsistersí, (2 swan neck columns), that stood alone, either side of the canal bridge down Long Lane, and the single GEC Z9532 that was under the big oak tree along Croxton Lane, (a lantern that always reminded me of bonfire night), as it was near the cricket club where our annual town fireworks display was that I would go to every year as a kid!

I think that what all lighting enthusiasts associate street lighting with, their childhood, and memories of growing up?

And if I could go back and save any lanterns from my childhood, it would definitely be the twin REVO Hyperion Bs from the roundabout, as it was unusual to see twin 135 watt SOX on a housing estate when I was growing up!

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Nesquick is Fuel

Re: Do you miss HID? « Reply #54 on: February 26, 2021, 03:16:51 AM » Author: Econolite03
Sure do. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.
  :hps: :emh: :mv: :lps:
Print 
© 2005-2021 Lighting-Gallery.net | Powered by SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines